Thread: Refinishing Issue (Waterlox)

Refinishing Issue (Waterlox)

I'm getting these light streaks. What's causing this and how do I fix it? I suspect the light streaks are where I may have sanded through the original Waterlox coat.

Here's my refinishing procedure.
    1. 3 coats of Waterlox sealer finish
    2. Light sanding with 220
    3. 5 coats of Aqua Coat grain filler sanding between each coat.
    4. 2 coats so far of Waterlox sealer finish

Last edited by Ed A Hall; 02-07-2021 at 4:24 PM.

I’m not sure exactly how to fix, but personally I think 220 grit is way to coarse for between coat sanding. I generally use 400 or above for that and really just to knock down the nibs. Hopefully others have some better remedies for your situation. Looks like a beautiful piece in the making.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I suspect it’s the grain filler. The waterbased fillers can get cloudy if not completely sanded off the surface. I had this same problem this summer on a guitar.

It may also be sanding scratches from the wood. Although I doubt it because the pattern runs perpendicular to the grain.

If nobody has a better theory, I would sand back with 220 or even 150. You don’t have to do the entire thing. You should be able to feather this area back in if you don’t have an appreciable film.