Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flashlights

Flashlight junkie here too. Current favorite is Nebo Red line series. Very bright and you can adjust the beam from a small square to a very wide circle. It lights thing as far as I can make them out. Which might not being saying much.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have this little guy I pick up at TSC. It was like $4.00 in store. The thing is amazing bright. I have two and a half acres and can light up anything on the property at any given point.
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...e-tsc17-f0235b
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

"OK Google..."

I have several powerful LEDs that use the rechargeable 18650 batteries. I really like the rechargeable batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    The new lithium rechargeables put out a solid 1.5v -
    Attachment 451533
    and they work well. I bought 3 battery powered snow globes for Xmas, they have a single LED light and a motor to stir glitter in the water. I know the LED doesn't suck much juice but the motor does. They would run well over 24 hours before needing a recharge. And yes, when they go dead, it's sudden
    They don’t really go dead, they have a circuit to shut them off before they get damaged. See that seam by the red meter lead, that end is the safety circuit.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I have several powerful LEDs that use the rechargeable 18650 batteries. I really like the rechargeable batteries.
    +1 for 18650's. I'm a little bit of a flashlight junkie, too: Mostly Fenix but love my Zebralight headlamp. In my case, I sort of worked my way through a bunch of the budget AAA/AA consumer LED flashlights and headlamps before deciding that it made more sense to spend $100 for a flashlight that does exactly what I need than throwing $20 here, $30 there for ones that didn't really do what I needed. That being said, I keep a $10 little Amazon red LED flashlight on my nightstand, so I don't step on the dogs if I have to use the restroom in the middle of the night.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Never really a flashlight guy, but a spot light, oh, YEAH. Always have a spot light charged and ready at each door. A good bright beam sends four and two legged varmints scurrying. Use them to look for errant livestock at night, watch foxes cavorting across the pasture and sometimes even to watch a skunk waddle. Searched out possums and raccoons up a tree, etc. Dropped a good one I had, so I picked up a cheapo chinese model at TSC. That thing will light up eyes at a quarter mile. And a charge lasts forever. Takes the same charge cord as my phone. Also had 4 different light settings, from a diffuse work light to blind the world. Had it two years and it is the go to. I have been trying to get my dad's old military surplus spot light. 110 volts, on a stand, two handles to aim it. about 2 feet in diameter and about 150,000 candle power. Last time my brother and I used it, we got a visit from the police in the next town claiming the brightness was causing a disturbance and 911 calls. (we were at least a half mile out of the town limits.)

+1 for spotlights I have (what it says is) a 20 million candlepower spotlight.
    Looks a lot like this one, only black (this one states 18 million cp)
    spot.jpg

Mine's many years old, IIRC it uses 2, or maybe 4? of the big 6v lantern batteries. At the lake we boat at there's a harbor entrance lined with old white busted concrete boulders... by GPS it's 1.2 miles from our dike--
    this light will light up those boulders
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    ...old military surplus spot light. 110 volts, on a stand, two handles to aim it. about 2 feet in diameter and about 150,000 candle power. Last time my brother and I used it, we got a visit from the police in the next town claiming the brightness was causing a disturbance and 911 calls.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    +1 for spotlights ...
    A friend of mine used a hand-held spot light on a helicopter flying very low and slow over his house and property. They turned their BIG light on him. For a while he thought he might need eyeball transplants.

Kev, I have one I think is the same model. Haven't used it for years with the advent of powerful and much more portable LED lights.

Perry, with the big light just aim it up and swing it back and forth and people will think there is some kind of sale going on!

JKJ

I agree!!
    I won't recommend the maglite AA though. I've had to throw away 2 of them after the seldom used batteries swelled and were impossible to remove----
    despite you-tube help.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    ... after the seldom used batteries swelled and were impossible to remove....
    I won't claim Maglite's are the best choice, but it seems to me your problem is with the batteries you chose. Eneloop rechargeable batteries don't self-discharge much, are reusable, and have a reputation of not leaking and damaging flashlights.

If you are really using the light so infrequently Eneloops won't work or if you want something, e.g. in emergency supplies, that doesn't require recharging the Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's have better shelf-life and higher capacity than alkaline batteries, plus they aren't known to leak and damage lights.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Lately Milwaukee is going gangbusters with good lighting products. But I tend to prefer their lights that don’t require you to tie up a hand.
    I have a number of their other lights. The M18 ones are literally brighter than the lights in my living room. I used them for power outages before I went solar, and one light lit most of the upstairs which normally has two ceiling lights and two lamps, and the Milwaukee was brighter than all of them.

I like technology and well made stuff but they dont work for me. Lee Valley Suprabeam on my head, run two so one is always charging. Hands free so you can work, light goes where you look adjustable in several ways. I had a hard roof rebuild and reshingle, headlight on easy to keep working some nights, better than a flood light no shadows at times.