Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cabinet Saw B-Day Present?

I had several lesser saws before getting my 36 inch, 1.75hp PCS. I built a lot of furniture for me and my kids with the lesser saws but it is sure nice to have a nicer saw. I can't say that it has changed what I can make or how well it is made but it is just easier to do good work. The last lesser saw I had was a Ryobi BT3100. I used it for around 10 years until the height mechanism threads wore out. I had extension rails on it and I could rip about 60 inches to the left of the blade. But it was huge and I struggled to position it within my small shop. Then I got a track saw and knew I didn't need that big a table saw. The combination of a track saw and a smaller table saw work great for me. I have zero desire to "upgrade". The track saw really helps with managing sheet goods. I can back my truck up to the shop garage and slide a sheet directly onto my outfeed/assembly/track saw cutting table. Then use the track saw to cut to finished size if it's a big piece or rough cut it if I want to make smaller pieces on the table saw. I can still handle full sheets of 3/4 other ways but if I had a bunch to do they would definitely go from truck to cutting station.

I used the lesser saws for about 40 years with no injury from them. Then early last year I got stupid raising a dado blade through the throat plate and needed six stitches and a splint for a broken bone despite the blade brake. Without the safety system I would have lost the end of at least one finger. It can happen. SawStops are pricey but not much if any more than other really nice cabinet saws. The safety system is a good idea. Even experienced careful woodworkers can make a mistake. I don't think you give up anything in the quality of the saw to get the blade brake. It and it's electronics were a nuisance at first and I still keep the manual handy if the lights start blinking but that hardly ever happens any more.

I am happy with my 1.75 hp motor now that I have learned it needs thin kerf blades. I cannot imagine needing more than 3hp. I rip 3 inch hardwood and softwood fine with the 1.75hp motor. By fine I mean regular to slightly reduced feed rate and a clean cut. Occasionally goofy grain can make it a bit harder but the saw has always gotten it done.

Lastly, I use a "2hp" HF DC that you at least used to be able to get under $200. You have to budget for different filters and/or a cyclone too but for $500 or so, I have a DC I also do not have any desire to upgrade. I have it set up with 5 inch snap lock and one long flex for infrequently used tools. You don't have to spend a ton of money to have a decent DC. I used to use a 1hp Delta and it did not do a good job at all. The HF is much more capable. I'm sure the 3-5hp DCs do better but I am good with my HF.

I was already on the fence about making this purchase. Harvey just had a price increase go in this morning. I'm off the fence now. I'll live with what I have.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Julie,

My Unisaw looks exactly like the Harvey in the picture. My motor cover door is on the right. I think nyou could find a used one for a lot less. Just saying....
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Jones View Post
    Julie,

My Unisaw looks exactly like the Harvey in the picture. My motor cover door is on the right. I think nyou could find a used one for a lot less. Just saying....
    Just got an email from Harvey saying there's a "SALE" on that cabinet saw that just had the price hike. The sale price is the same as before the price hike. And last night my SO tells me it's okay to purchase the G-700 dust processor AND the cabinet saw. A week ago, even one of those was a stretch.

It’s looking like someone is going to have a great birthday! Awesome. With your skills you’ll appreciate the new saw and good dust collection is a real improvement to any shop in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    It’s looking like someone is going to have a great birthday! Awesome. With your skills you’ll appreciate the new saw and good dust collection is a real improvement to any shop in my opinion.
    Thank you, David. But it makes me nervous spending that much money. Right now I'm in a state of mental paralysis.

Dropped 4K in 2006 for the SS ICS 5hp. All through the Lawyer and IP argument riots of the late 2000s and early 2010s I have used that beauty and its been amazing and still is. All the while other folks have questioned my saw I have been using an amazing saw for 15 years. I've spent far more on stuff with less enjoyment and results. I only have to make me happy in my shop. I got the 52" to the right and last sunday I was still edging up 48" ply on it. It cuts small and big. You def deserve a nice saw!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thank you, David. But it makes me nervous spending that much money. Right now I'm in a state of mental paralysis.
    Hi Julie,
    i understand completely! I’ve replaced my major stationary tools over the last two years after decades of budget tools. Table saw, bandsaw and individual bench top jointer and planer with an FS 30 combo J/P. Each was a big expense and major upgrade. All I can say is that after I got them home and dialled in, I forgot about the cost. I enjoy them every day I turn them on and I turn them on often!
    If you can swing it and it doesn’t cause undue harm to you or SO’s plans or lifestyle, I say “Happy Birthday”!

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Hi Julie,
    i understand completely! I’ve replaced my major stationary tools over the last two years after decades of budget tools. Table saw, bandsaw and individual bench top jointer and planer with an FS 30 combo J/P. Each was a big expense and major upgrade. All I can say is that after I got them home and dialled in, I forgot about the cost. I enjoy them every day I turn them on and I turn them on often!
    If you can swing it and it doesn’t cause undue harm to you or SO’s plans or lifestyle, I say “Happy Birthday”!
    Thank you, David, but from the lack of response I'm getting from Harvey (emails and phone calls) there seems to be no one interested in selling their tools. The phone keeps going to voicemail, which I do leave for them to answer. Emails I've sent have gone unanswered. I get emails about flash sales but no responses to my phone calls or emails. Makes me wonder about customer service...

That’s unfortunate. My personal rule is I never fight with someone to take my money! I’d find a different brand or move on. The nice thing is you can wait until you are satisfied since you’re not in a rush. In the meantime, there’s sailing!

Interesting fence on that saw Julie. Looks like a cross between a Beis and a Unifence.

For what it's worth, I used to have an Excalibur slider on my 90's Unisaw, and a buddy had the same slider on his PM66. So it fits both.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Julie:

I can relate to that feeling, having just ordered some nice new equipment.

The way I see it you are good in the shop, you like it, you are helping others around you and your partner fully supports your endeavors. Some people play golf, others collect stamps, eat everyday in a restaurant or fly an airplane. Your hobby is the workshop. Go for it!

As a former colleague used to say : « ...you only live once and then you are dead for a very long time... »