Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Zen if Sleds and Miter Gauges

The Zen if Sleds and Miter Gauges

I had a Kreg miter gauge for my last table saw and eschewed a sled.

With a new saw coming, my thoughts are turning to sleds and miter gauges and I've just realized that I'm not sure of the use case for each.

At 1st glance, it seems as though a sled would lose accuracy relative to the cast iron top while gaining lateral and Fore & aft accuracy. That of course begs the question of sled design and build execution accuracy. Relative to a miter gauge, are we talking more than a .001 - .002 improvement over a miter gauge? I'm looking at the MicroJig Ultimate sled with a lot of interest - what do y'all think of it? Then there is the problem of where to put the darn thing when not in use.

In the other corner, we have the miter gauge. Quick to deploy and easier to store and uses the cast iron top as the flat surface. However, the piece is clamped with fingers and mine are not as strong as they have formerly been. That seems to be more important for actual miters rather than a simple 90° cut. Again, what is the difference between a miter gauge and a sled with clamps for a 90° cut?

To those willing to provide a quick education, my heartfelt thanks.

Great question! I’m hoping that lots chime in on this one as I’m coming at this from the other side. I have a couple shop-built sleds and am wondering if I should upgrade the very basic mitre gauge that came with my SawStop.

Miter gauges are limited by the distance from the front of the table to the blade. Sleds can be made much bigger to crosscut much more than a MG. A MG can perform angle cuts, sled can’t unless a template is placed on the sled for each angle.

I’d say a MG is quicker and easier, but for cross cutting larger pieces a sled is superior.

Blog Entries
    I have a Kreg miter gauge and it works very well. I use it for most cuts on boards less than 4 feet in length. For boards longer than 4 feet, I use a crosscut sled that has a 2 deep by4 foot wide table and back stop. This sled also lets me cross cut wider pieces than will fit between the miter gauge and the leading edge of the saw blade.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I use a sled 90 percent of the time. Especially since I bought a Dubby. It does a great job with angles and I highly recommend it. I have a homemade sled for 90 degree work but a good accurate miter gauge is good to.
    Charlie Jones

I have a SawStop. I replaced the OEM miter gauge with an Incra HD mies gauge.

I've also made two sleds which get used 99% of the time.

I prefer holding the workpiece on the sled and moving the sled through the cut as opposed to sliding the workpiece over the table with the miter gauge, just a preference. Poor mans slider I guess.

Also, the cut slot on my sleds are also ZCI, which allows very easy alignment of where I want to make the cut on the workpiece.
    Last edited by ChrisA Edwards; 02-06-2021 at 10:53 PM.

I recently took the time to toss out some table saw accessories and make everything that I probably need.
    Extension table, removable, for the front to enable using the miter for larger pieces.
    New fence on the miter with a t track on top for setting flip up sliding stops.
    New smaller cross cut sled.
    I kept two different size panel cutters.
    Built a version of the multi function Ultimate Table Saw Fence that adapts to the regular fence, a must see YouTube.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 02-06-2021 at 11:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    I recently took the time to toss out some table saw accessories and make everything that I probably need.
    Extension table, removable, for the front to enable using the miter for larger pieces.
    New fence on the miter with a t track on top for setting flip up sliding stops.
    New smaller cross cut sled.
    I kept two different size panel cutters.
    Built a version of the multi function Ultimate Table Saw Fence that adapts to the regular fence, a must see YouTube.
    Hi Bruce,
    There’s a variety of ultimate table saw fences on YouTube. Which one were you referring to?

A sled has a considerable advantage when cutting small pieces. Both sides of the piece are supported during and after the cut.

I have and use both.

From the pic the Ultimate Table Saw Sled looks to use an awful lot of cut depth.

I use the MG unless the material doesn't fit between it and the blade, as in wider panels, and also for anything that requires a miter. The Dubby is interesting if one doesn't have sleds and a MG.

I would be interested in a lighter accurate MG, my Jessum, the original, is too heavy and getting hard to set.

Different strokes for different cuts is the name of the game. A quality miter gauge setup with stops, etc., can cover a lot of ground, but sleds have an important place for many operations, especially as we already noted when the workpiece needs to be very small. In those cases, an appropriate sled setup will handle both keeping the cut stable as well as keeping it as safe as can be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not sure why you would want to limit yourself to one or the other. I understand not having a place to store a sled (or sleds) but I can always find a place. I can see how people would gravitate towards one or the other depending on which one they felt more comfortable using. But not having the other would just be limiting. I can say that adding an Incra MG was a vast improvement over the stock ones. Being able to know the exact degree that I'm cutting at can be very helpful. I'll pass along a tip (I think it was from Jim). Get some fine grit sticky back sandpaper and stick it to the MG. You'll be surprised just how much the wood moves when just holding it with your hand. I haven't done my sled yet but think it would help just as much.

Quote Originally Posted by David Publicover View Post
    Hi Bruce,
    There’s a variety of ultimate table saw fences on YouTube. Which one were you referring to?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3pBbKNrkixY

Thanks Bruce!

Hopefully the OP doesn't mind me asking a side question to this.....

So regarding the sleds...............Homemade, Incra 5000 or both? I know that can depend a bit on what you tend to build.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!