Thread: Fuji Q5 with 3m pps

Fuji Q5 with 3m pps

I am just now trying to do some test sprays before I do my actual cabinets. I have the gravity fed guy from fuji with the 3m pps 2.0. I can't get material to come out of my gun. If i apply pressure to the cup it seems to spray, if left alone nothing comes out. Anyone know how to correct this? What am i doing wrong. This is a water based lacquer. I am extremely new to spraying. Any help appreciated.
    "If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door!"

I"m not familiar with that gun, but did you open up the air flow to the tip? That's what transports the material and atomizes the fluid. I ask that because you indicate fluid will pass when you add pressure to the PPS cup, but it comes out in a stream. That says to me that there's no air from the turbine getting to the nozzle to do what it does. Check the manual to insure you understand what all the various knobs do for setting up the gun for a particular finish.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the same setup. Are you using the 2.0 H/O cups that apply pressure?

What material are you spraying and what’s your tip?

Can you post a picture of what you’re using? I have a q4 bottom mount with the pps version 1. Mine is a pressure pot cup with a tube to the gun. It takes several seconds to pressurize the cup until fluid flows.

It could also be the case that your finish is too thick or the fluid connection or lid is not tight. You shouldn’t have to torque it down hard, but it should seal. Also, check your pps cup lid and make sure it is clean and material can make it through the filter.

I am thinking it could be that i am not using the 2.0 h/o. From reading last night that may be what it is, because it applies pressure from the top.

I ask that because you indicate fluid will pass when you add pressure to the PPS cup, but it comes out in a stream.

Once I applied pressure to the cup it actually sprayed like what you would expect, in a sense. After reading I think I may need the 2.0 H/O setup since this is gravity fed.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 02-07-2021 at 3:47 PM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

Are you sure it's a gravity feed gun? I thought all Fuji turbines used guns with a pressurized cup, whether bottom mount or top mount. If correct, you need an H/O cup. Also, if there is a check valve in the hose that goes to the cup, you may need to remove it.

John

Yea its a top mount pressurized. I just used the original cup to do some spraying and it worked out fine. I am going to order the H/O cup.

The H/O 2.0 cups work on both the T70 and T75 guns. I have both for my Q5. Let us know how it goes after you get the new 3M cup. I purchase my stuff from PhelpsFinishing.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mendoza View Post
    The H/O 2.0 cups work on both the T70 and T75 guns. I have both for my Q5. Let us know how it goes after you get the new 3M cup. I purchase my stuff from PhelpsFinishing.com.

Actually, it's PhelpsRefinishing.com

John