Thread: My first pedestal dining table

My first pedestal dining table

I've built a couple of dining tables in the past but they had four legs. For the more confined space in this house dictating a smaller table I decided to use a pedestal. The wood is all hard maple and the table is 51 inches square.
    table overall.jpg

Since the table is on hardwood flooring and I didn't want it to move easily so I recessed silicon feet on the bottom ends of each foot.
    pedestal.jpg

The top of the pedestal was cross dado'd to accept a support cross piece. I made a 1/2 inch diameter metal "bullet" that is pressed into the middle of the cross support. A loose fit matching hole was recessed in the middle of the bottom of the top to make it easier to locate the top for assembly. This picture shows the support on the unfinished bottom where I could locate the center with diagonal lines before rounding the corners of the top.
    cross support.jpg

Since I am fortunate to also be a machinist I used my mill to make the recessed slots to account for wood movement. I ended up with a total of 8 slots.
    support slots.jpg

I bought 5/4 stock for the top expecting to end up with a 1 inch top but issues with my drum sander (now replaced) forced me to end up with a 7/8 inch top. The finish starts with a coat of dewaxed shellac followed by a light color gel stain. I like using General Finishes products so next was 2 coats of Seal-A-Cell followed by 5 coats of Arm-R-Seal oil based semi gloss.

Looks very nice. I really like the finish - the color and the texture. It looks warm and "touchable".
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

John, I agree with the previous poster. This table just has a aura demanding to be touched, used and appreciated! Nicely done Sir!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Nice looking table and pedestal
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Thank you all for the kind words. I know the newness will eventually wear off but I can't help even walking by it without running my hand across the surface. Even though I sanded to a matte finish the top is so smooth it feels like a piece of glass. Of course, that feel was probably helped by my applying the same paint sealant I use on my vehicle.

Very nice table John!

Well done, John! And no...the newness will not wear off and you will find yourself admiring it for years to come...as it should be