Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor Question

Compressor Question

I took a turning class and they had compressed air lines at each lathe which I found very convenient. Is something like that doable/simple enough for a small turning shop?

I知 getting ready to put my DC in a cold storage room next to my small basement workshop and wondered about adding a compressor. Both would be behind a cement wall which should help with noise and space conservation. The compressor would only be for basic uses (blowing out hollow forms, when using Forster bits, etc.). Is there a simple way to do this? In searching compressors on the workshops forum everything I found was way too complex for my simple needs. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
    Tom

1/2" copper run lines where you want
    install a drip leg at each outlet
    OR
    Rapid air , have read good things about it
    DO NOT INSATLL pvc lines for air lines
    black iron is the old stand by

Tom -- Doing as you suggest is very doable. For years I've had an 8-gallon hotdog style air compressor residing under the workbench in my detached shop. Six-feet of rubber air-hose connected the compressor to a 50' hose reel. (I could have gotten by with a much shorter hose in the reel, but that's what the reel came with.) It worked very well for the kinds of things you want to do. It also handled my brad nailer and similar air tools. Being under the bench, between two columns of drawers, the noise was mitigated somewhat. If I used the compressor more frequently, I would have enclosed it in a box with a baffle.

Given that experience, I believe a small air compressor would supply plenty of air for your intended uses. You could easily run a short rubber hose through the concrete wall to connect to a hose reel. Or, as Ron suggested, use copper pipe. The only downside I see to putting the compressor in another room is the need to drain the tank after use. For some of us, that's easy to forget when the compressor is in the shop in plane view. It's easier to forget when the compressor is out of sight.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Tanks for the replies. For my purposes, maybe it would be sufficient to just keep my little 3 gal 1/3hp harbor freight compressor under the workbench with a 10’ hose attached and just turn on when needed. My shop is only 9x14’ so that should reach everywhere!

I have an old craftsman 20 gallon air compressor that i keep in my basement on the other side of the house from my shop. I used t's and vinyl air lines from HF to run a line to my shop in my garage. I added a 5 gallon storage tank. One of the portable air tanks HF sells that i stripped all the fittings from it and put a bushing and t on to put it inline. I built a remote switch for the compressor that i use Alexa voice commands to turn the compressor on and off. The airlines and t's are not that expensive at HF and you can get repair kits to shorten the airlines up if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    I took a turning class and they had compressed air lines at each lathe which I found very convenient. Is something like that doable/simple enough for a small turning shop?

I知 getting ready to put my DC in a cold storage room next to my small basement workshop and wondered about adding a compressor. Both would be behind a cement wall which should help with noise and space conservation. The compressor would only be for basic uses (blowing out hollow forms, when using Forster bits, etc.). Is there a simple way to do this? In searching compressors on the workshops forum everything I found was way too complex for my simple needs. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Great idea to have your DC and air compressor in a separate room. Both can be annoying noise wise.
    The simplest solution for me was to purchase a 50 ft.(or what ever length you require) decent quality air hose and left a small coil hung on a hook at the lathe. Worked well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by carl mesaros View Post
    Great idea to have your DC and air compressor in a separate room. Both can be annoying noise wise.
    The simplest solution for me was to purchase a 50 ft.(or what ever length you require) decent quality air hose and left a small coil hung on a hook at the lathe. Worked well for me.
    That was what I envisioned at first but then reading other posts, it seemed way more complicated with copper lines and drain valves, etc. I’m new to this and appreciate everyone’s input!

With your setup, do you just manually turn the compressor on/off when using and then drain at the end of each use?

Thanks,Tom

I used leftover PEX line from building my house. I bought some "one touch" connectors so it was super simple. Just cut the PEX to the length you want and the connector just slides onto the end of the tube. I think you can get a 50' roll of 1/4" from the box store for well under $20. I think the SharkBite connectors are kind of pricey but the box stores usually have them in stock too.

That was what I envisioned at first but then reading other posts, it seemed way more complicated with copper lines and drain valves, etc. I知 new to this and appreciate everyone痴 input!

With your setup, do you just manually turn the compressor on/off when using and then drain at the end of each use?

Thanks,Tom
    I usually just leave it on unless I'm not going to be in the shop for a couple of days.
    Also I have to remember to drain the air tank at least once a week. Depending where you live and the time of year a compressor can generate a lot of water.

I bought a california air 20 gal. compressor. It has two outputs. I run two separate hoses. One to the shop/lathe, and the other out back to a hose reel I use on the tractors. The CA compressor is so quiet! You can carry on a conversation right beside it without shouting. But I still have it in another room. When it comes on I can barely hear it. If you don't have a compressor with multiple outputs and you want this, simply install a splitter or multiport manifold. Not need to overcomplicate it unless you are running expensive tools that need dry air & constant lubrication.

What's complex about a compressor and a rubber hose? You don't need to get complicated with pipe if you only want it by the lathe.

That's what I did in my shop. I ran RapidAir plastic tubing through the walls with 8 outlets around the shop and outside (and reels for outside air tools and tires). At the lathe I use compressed air to blowing out chips, clearing dust, to provide a continuous stream of cooling and clearing air when drilling deep holes with a forstner bit, and for operating various pneumatic tools such as a pneumatic file and small random orbital sanders.

One of the outlets. BTW, the red arrow in the picture was for describing to someone the type of quick connects I prefer - they operate with just one hand.

Air_line_fitting.jpg

I built a 4x8' sound-insulated closet for the cyclone and the 5hp air compressor. I put a pipe through the wall to feed the valves, dryer, and regulator and built a manifold to feed three lines to different parts of the shop and outside. It doesn't need to be that complicated - I use my shop for a lot more than woodturning. At minimum I'd put an electrical disconnect outside the closet to shut off the compressor when leaving without having to go into the closet. (I know a guy who lost his shop to fire when a compressor malfunctioned and ran continuously when he wasn't there.) A water separator could keep most water out of the lines and an inexpensive regulator might be necessary if your compressor pumps to higher pressure than some air tools can take (often about 90 psi). All these are very easy to connect.

I do like the air lines in the walls but they could be fastened to a wall or ceiling. RapidAir makes clips for their tubing. I do not like air lines (or extension cords) stretched across the shop.

JKJ

Thanks,
    Tom

I've got a 30 year old Craftsman air compressor and it is still working fine. I hooked it up to a PVC distribution system with four outlets in my workshop. It is great. I have one by my lathe, one at a workbench, one at another workbench and one that I can snake outside. Absolutely great.

People tell me (probably people who have never used PVC or never had a personal problem) that if the PVC breaks, it'll be like a grenade went off. I don't entirely believe this. PVC is not brittle. In fact it is probably less brittle than copper.

But I've got perhaps 4000 feet of PVC used for irrigation around my property (under about 100-140 psi) and I've never had one ruptured after 25 years. I've had a couple of glued joint fail (gently). Also, I have some coiled hosed connected to the aircompressor system. They are made for compressed air and are pvc. When they fail, they will probably develop a leak and not explode like a pound of C4.

I would be interested in any FIRST HAND reports of PVC (indoors) bursting open and shreading shrapnel. I think that this is a myth.

My air compressor doesn't make a lot of noise because it cycles infrequently. So, I don't think that it matters much if it is muffled behind an enclosure or not.

I'd recommend proceeding with a distribution system for your AC. You'll love it.

Now let all those that have never had a PVC failure tell me how dangerous it is based on ???....

I used 1/4 turn PVC irrigation ball valves. They seem to work very well. No Problems.

So, I'd recommend running a bunch of Schedule 40 (rated at 450 psi) PVC irrigation tubing for distributing the compressed air. It is cheap and easy to install. At 100 psi, it is unlikely to ever exceed the 450 psi rating.

Can you use PVC, sure. But it's not wise. PVC's pressure ratings are for new pipe. As it ages it's strength drops. There's a reason why OSHA doesn't allow the use of PVC for compressed airlines above ground. It's your shop, do as you wish. But there's much better solutions that don't cost much more and are easier to install. If you don't think PVC can explode do a simple search on-line and you'll see plenty of failures.

Noise was a problem for me. I'd be doing some delicate work and the darned thing would come on, yes I know I have a leak somewhere. I sold that compressor and bought a California compressor and love it. Rapid Air lines to three locations. Works for me.