Thread: Spalted Oak Pepper Grinder

Spalted Oak Pepper Grinder

Here is a Spalted Oak Pepper Grinder. The spalting is pretty good for about 85% of the circumference. It is 12.25 inches tall - base is 9.75 inches tall. I had cut the oak fresh a 3-4 years ago and have a few pieces - this one got splatted - I may have put it in a garbage back for a while. I do not recall. The cove could have come to points instead of flights or at least less wide flats. The wood looks better in person - very dramatic spalting.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's an interesting chunk of wood and the application shows its character off well.

Best,

Dave

Thanks. I am not sure what else to do with a long piece of wood but a pepper/salt grinder or salt shaker. I had a related piece of wood I made a large salt shaker out of but it only has spalting on one side.

Here is the pepper grinder from the different angles. Lots of different stripes and shades.

I have it on a paper plate until the finish dries so it does not get on the counter. I think the bottom should have been tapered more on the way up. Also, my original post was not clear. I think it would have been nicer if the coves came out to sharper points instead of flat areas.

I have to work on my photo skills. I think the pictures should have been taken level. The perspective is off. The top has a diameter of just under 3 inches while the base is 3.75.

Has anyone bought the colored spalting cultures from the University of Oregon or seen pieces done with them? Red or green spalting must be interesting.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Metzman; 02-07-2021 at 10:44 AM.

That's a beauty, and it looks amazing against that table top. I think the rounded flutes are fine; if they were sharper it might get uncomfortable to hold while using.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by David Metzman View Post
    I have to work on my photo skills. I think the pictures should have been taken level. The perspective is off. The top has a diameter of just under 3 inches while the base is 3.75.
    One thing you can try with the photography is getting back further and using a longer lens, if you have one, or set the camera back some and zoom in a little. A wide angle lens can exaggerate perspective regardless of where you place it. If shooting straight in from the side you couldn't see the shape and figure of the top.

The counter is beautiful but one idea is to photograph against a plain background that doesn't compete with the piece for attention. That said, I can still see the detail nicely. The spalting evident in the view in the second photo is my favorite.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 02-20-2021 at 3:33 PM. Reason: typo

Thank you all for the advice and complements - David