Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used jointer pricing

Used jointer pricing

So, I have been trying to gauge the market for some time now. I have toyed with the idea of getting a bench top one vs a stand alone. I do see them come up often but it is really hard to know if people are just asking too much due to the influx of everyone getting into this hobby during the pandemic (me included). Would you pay this price for instance? https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...code=undefined

Prices on used gear are pretty crazy these days for the reason you mention. Bottom line, things are worth what someone will pay for it. I see people asking 300-500 for total junk. at about a 25% discount that doesn't seem a terrible price for a decent brand long bed that is still in production. If you have room for it you will be happier with that machine that with a benchtop, especially if you can negotiate the price down a bit.

[eta:] Of course you will want to check it out and make sure the tables are flat, etc, etc.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I would pay that if I really needed it right away. No shipping costs or long waits, and no taxes. I would absolutely not buy a bench top. Those are just a step above a power hand plane since the beds are so short.

I would show up with no more than $500.

These are everywhere.

The real problem is the supply of new tools seems to be drying up. That's great for sellers, not so much for the guy who is in need. I see plenty of used 6" jointers for sale. I think it's people looking for an 8" who feel the high prices for used equipment makes it a good time to sell what they have.

Show up with at least a 4-6' straight edge and feeler gauges. There is no easy way to fix that type of wedgebed jointer if the tables are not co planar. If they are and the machine is in good shape, I'd be willing to overpay. Minimal time and hauling cost and the assurance that the tables are good. worth a lot to me as I have a low opinion of new cast iron jointers and tables I'm happy with are rare. Dave

PS My bad. Too much for a 6" machine but OK for an 8" if tables are good. I'd avoid a 6" unless you like being frustrated.
    Last edited by David Kumm; 02-05-2021 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Prices on used gear are pretty crazy these days for the reason you mention. Bottom line, things are worth what someone will pay for it. I see people asking 300-500 for total junk. at about a 25% discount that doesn't seem a terrible price for a decent brand long bed that is still in production. If you have room for it you will be happier with that machine that with a benchtop, especially if you can negotiate the price down a bit.

[eta:] Of course you will want to check it out and make sure the tables are flat, etc, etc.
    I saw one of those Rigid floor models go on Craigslist for $450 here...and it sold within a day.

Blog Entries
    When I recently purchased an 8" jointer, I found that $700-$800 was the typical range for nice machines (but you could go way higher for some brands or if the machine had extras etc.). I think I ended up at $700 for a DJ-20 that I then had to put another $150 into for a VFD and new knives. But the tables were really flat, it had all parts, and was in very nice condition, so I felt ok about it.

Meanwhile, I had a 6" Ridgid that I was offloading. Bought that used years earlier for $250 and sold it in 2 hours for $400.

So, unscientifically, I would say... used 8" good deal is about $750 and 6" is about $450... and both of those numbers go up for brands like Powermatic, and go down if the machine is beat up.

----

Honestly, the biggest issue with that 6" jointer was how short the tables were (not the width). I found it difficult to get enough reference surface on the boards I was working, so getting flat faces and edges was a chore. Doable, but not easily.

With the 8", the longer beds still rarely need roller stands to work on really long or heavy items, but it isn't often. I can achieve flat much more quickly and easily than before, which matters a lot. And, the extra 2 inches of width means less ripping (which then means fewer glue up joints later in the project) - more of a secondary consideration for me, but valuable nonetheless.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I would show up with no more than $500.

These are everywhere.
    Local markets are different. Jointers like that aren't everywhere. Used jointers are rare in our area and are expensive relative to new. Even pre pandemic, I never found a reasonably priced (compared to new) 8" jointer in 10 years of casual looking, and good 6" machines were fairly uncommon, and that is in a metro area of 3.5 million people.

Around here that machine would definitely fetch more than $500. Probably closer to $700-$800. Myself, I wouldn't pay that if I could get a new one for $1100. That may be the kicker though.

A look at Acme shows that of the 34 jointers they carry, only two are in stock, and the cheapest is a 6" Rikon short bed with helical head, for $1699. In that light $750 for a two year old long bed 6" Jet seems pretty reasonable.

Craigslist only has an antique 4" locally, and another antique 6" 150 miles from here. Typically there are a bunch of fixed outfeed 6" Craftsmans for sale, and even those are gone.

Looks like you could pick up a 6" short bed Grizzly for $775+$125 shipping. After that you are above a grand.
    Last edited by Andrew Seemann; 02-06-2021 at 12:09 PM.

The price is in line with a long table used 6" jointer, but at the price, why not just buy an 8" and get a lot more versatility from it. I bought a 6" rockwell from market place for $275 and it came with a new set of knifes. I replaced the old power cord and plug as they were "crunchy". It functioned, but I torn it down, cleaned and painted it. So now I have a vintage shiny jointer for a total of $350 plus I bought a OEM optional at the time guard for the belt for another $120. But it is art deco and sexy!

Too expensive. Ridgid 6inch jointer frequently goes on sale at big box at $599. I am not sure if the jet has longer tables. Yes, you will be frustrated with a 6 inch with shorter tables. But because of cost, space, or whatever, the Ridgid will take care of 80% of your needs.

Good jointers hold their value well. I see lots of anti 6" comments, but the good ones work great for edge jointing. The process you use to build will dictate what you need to buy, don't just automatically assume an entire category of tools is junk because it doesn't fit your particular work flow. That being said, a floor model minimum 6" machine has a lot more capability than a benchtop.

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-07-2021 at 10:38 AM.

I'm pretty sure thats the cost of a new 6" jet

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Conner View Post
    I'm pretty sure thats the cost of a new 6" jet
    Right now they are $989 on sale. And they also appear to be out of stock everywhere