Thread: Guitar repair

Guitar repair

I've got to say thanks to this forum for motivating me to pull my guitar from the closet and attempting a repair.
    It's not a real valuable guitar, a Signet GA402 I purchased in about 1975 while in high school. I let my son take it to band when he was in school, and it came home broken. He wasn't as successful as some of the rock stars who smash guitars, but it took a fairly good smack that separated part of the back and broke the banding.

After reading about you guys building guitars, and attending a few hours of Youtube university I decided to have a go at repairing it. I got the back opened up enough, and the banding pulled back so I could get glue in where it was separated and clamped in place. Hopefully I didn't miss too much glue, I'll see tomorrow when I pull off the clamps.

And how did it go?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Godlesky View Post
    And how did it go?
    Since I hired an Electrician (me) to do the repairs it came out better than I ever thought possible. At least I only paid him what he was worth and not what he thinks he is.
    Except where I had to piece the banding back together it is mostly not noticeable. I wish I had taken before and after pictures.

'Glad you were able to jump on that repair. While some of the things with guitars is "guitar focused" a whole bunch of it is just woodworking. Not only are repairs possible with thinking things through, but even making some improvements by replacing bad hardware can take something up a level.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

JJW, the guru of guitar repairs is Dan Erlewine. He probably has a ton of videos, but his books are the best reference for getting into repairs.