Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: HAMMER (Felder) news

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Julie, unfortunately, Sales works in a different database than Logistics, so we don't have much visibility into the when's of customer orders through the E-shop. My suggestion would be to email US Customer Service directly: customerservice (dash) us (at) felder (dash) group (dot) com

Erik
    Thank you for the reply, Erik.

I placed the order through JuanCarlos Puente. I just saw his reply. The order was "lost in cyber space". The project is almost done now with only a few jobs left where the extension tables would be beneficial. If I knew they could be shipped out immediately, I'd replace the order, but it from everything I'm seeing, that's not likely. It's unfortunate because those extension tables would really have come in handy.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    Thank you for the reply, Erik.

I placed the order through JuanCarlos Puente. I just saw his reply. The order was "lost in cyber space". The project is almost done now with only a few jobs left where the extension tables would be beneficial. If I knew they could be shipped out immediately, I'd replace the order, but it from everything I'm seeing, that's not likely. It's unfortunate because those extension tables would really have come in handy.
    Gotcha', Julie. I am hopeful that once they roll out this new E-shop platform (whenever it happens), it will be more like an Amazon experience and you can track your own order, etc.

Also, for any folks ordering now: Please expect slow delivery times. Again, the pandemic seems to be slowing down everything and anything logistics-related. This is the case with any European company and will be for a while.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, As a happy owner of a K700 it is nice to have you here on SMC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Snider View Post
    Erik, As a happy owner of a K700 it is nice to have you here on SMC.
    Thank you, Jon!

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Folks: Spring Specials E-brochure + Cliff notes here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....als-E-brochure

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

OK, gang, news out of Austria: Spring promotions will end on March 31st. So, I will bang the same drum as always. "If you are sitting on the fence about any machine or hemming and hawing about that quote you received, get with your rep NOW and figure something out". We all have ways to reserve pricing/work with your garage or shop build timeline/etc. but if you want to take advantage of the saving, those conversations need to happen this month. Lead times will be long for the foreseeable future, so you will still have a wait, except that you will pay more for the exact same machine. Also, there will be a general price increase on June 1st. This is unavoidable and certainly won't be the last time. The pandemic is still a huge monkeywrench in the logistics and raw materials supply chains and we, unfortunately, must pass those costs on to the customer. Something else I want to share with the group is that we are experiencing some delays as far as Felder and Hammer accessories go. Again, pandemic-related. So, please be patient with accessory orders.

On a brighter note, we just learned that Austria is going to be putting together packages of new-built machines for each of the US showrooms. This is great news for the sales team, since our showrooms have basically been empty since the pandemic started. In the past, we have made showroom machines available to sell to any of the US reps. Maybe good for individual reps but bad for the sales team as a whole. My understanding is that moving forward, showroom machines are display-only, and only will be offered for sale once a newer model becomes available. Also, for folks who are curious about Felder's "PCS (Preventive Contact System)" blade-stopping system, it can actually be ordered now. In fact, I believe one of our East Coast reps sold a couple already. For my own knowledge, I configured a Kappa 550 with PCS, just to see. I'm not willing to discuss pricing on the open forum but will say this:
    1.) The cost of the option seems fair for what you get.
    2.) "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it". This is a unique feature (there are a couple of possible competitors but they are either vaporware or still in the R&D stage; Felder are the only ones who can actually deliver an operational system that does what it promises) and only offered on a top-of-the line machines. So, please don't ask unless you are already OK with spending the cost of a new automobile for just the saw, itself.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Felder are the only ones who can actually deliver an operational system that does what it promises
    With all due respect, Erik, the "operational" part of your quote isn't quite accurate. The machine may or may not arrive ready to operate. The new owner may need to make adjustments to make it accurately function.

That wouldn't be that big a deal if Felder provided detailed instructions on how to make those adjustments. But after I bought my A3-31, there were no such instructions to be found, either online or accompanying the machine. It's up to the owner to either hire Felder to set up the machine or do an exhaustive search trying to find the instructions.

It probably took me a week to get the information I needed. Even my rep had to do some digging to find some of what I was looking for and I still needed to find the rest myself.

I know Felder is aware of this complaint. My rep told me. He also said Felder is geared more for the professional shop but they sell a lot of units to people like the members here. I do a LOT of woodworking and I make money doing so, but I can't justify forking down thousands for one of their machines only to have to pay a Felder service tech to adjust the machine every time it needs it. There SHOULD be detailed instructions available.

Every time I've considered buying another Felder made machine, the thought I'd have to pull teeth again to get a proper guide for setting up the machine turns me off.

Julie, my comment was specifically about the PCS system. With regards to the rest of your post, It seems like you aren't happy but I will politely add that we do, in fact, deliver every machine fully operational (excluding the rare case of freight damage) but it seems to me like your issue was not with operation as much as calibration. Felder does offer a commissioning/calibration service for any machine, including A3's. In fact, every customer is required to check "yes" or "no" on the sales agreement before their rep submits the order. I can't speak for other reps but to customers who use their equipment to make a living with, I suggest paying for the calibration service. It's a small cost in the long run and will avoid everything you are complaining about. For an A3, that would be a one-time service and the machine should then be good-to-go for the rest of its life. PM me offline if you want me to connect you with Service Planning.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

My point, Erik, is that Felder should supply a manual for buyers of their machines to guide us through the calibration process. I don't believe that's too much to ask but apparently, Felder disagrees.

As for the A3-31. I have it properly calibrated now and it works beautifully. The only frustrating part was getting the info to make those calibrations initially. My rep was very helpful but even he was frustrated with how difficult it was to obtain directions on how to calibrate the machine. My frustration was never with the reps or the equipment, only the decision makers at Felder.

Julie, first, I'm glad you are happy with your machine now. One of the biggest challenges we (sales reps) face is that sometimes, we never really have any idea what the skill level or expectation is for our customer, especially the one-person operation. That is not necessarily anybody's fault but can be be a problem. Sometimes, a customer doesn't know what they don't know and we don't know what they don't know. For example, I could sell a dozen A3's and of that dozen, 11 of those customers could be handy enough to tackle any adjustment issues without needing support from Felder but perhaps one customer just doesn't have the skill set to handle it without a manual and perhaps even they didn't realize this, going in. It seems like you are happy with your machine now, which is all that matters, but here is my advice to anyone else reading this

-Most of my customers have not needed or required commissioning on their Hammer machines (or even smaller Felders). Maybe this is because they have the aptitude to handle adjustments themselves or maybe it is because their machines arrived in good working tolerance for what they needed. Or maybe some combination of both? I don't know but this is the case.

-If someone is shopping for a machine and worried about it arriving out of calibration or that needed tweaking might be beyond their abilities, then PAY FOR COMMISSIONING.

-If you took delivery of a machine and still can't get it adjusted yourself, then call Service Planning and ARRANGE AND PAY FOR COMMISSIONING. We can offer this service any time.

Having worked as long as I have in the Euro jointer/planer industry, I can say without hesitation that Felder has the best after-sale support staff of anyone. There is nobody else a customer will buy from where you can call and speak to a real technician who whose job it is to know only this type of machine. I realize that German/Austrian setup documentation might not be what some folks are expecting but I do firmly believe that we make for it on the human side of customer service.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

11. Hi Erik, I was looking at the A3-31, but my shop is located in an out building 300' in the backyard. So I was wondering how the unit arrives when delivered. Is it in separate boxes that I might be able to move the machine in parts, 700# is way too heavy to get back there in one piece.

Thanks
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    Hi Erik, I was looking at the A3-31, but my shop is located in an out building 300' in the backyard. So I was wondering how the unit arrives when delivered. Is it in separate boxes that I might be able to move the machine in parts, 700# is way too heavy to get back there in one piece.

Thanks
    Chris
    Chris, you are correct: We can only deliver to curbside. That being said, A3's are pretty easy to move as far as industrial equipment goes. They come assembled, on open-framed pallet. What is the terrain like for your 300'?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

13. Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Chris, you are correct: We can only deliver to curbside. That being said, A3's are pretty easy to move as far as industrial equipment goes. They come assembled, on open-framed pallet. What is the terrain like for your 300'?

Erik

I have 10 steps leading to a astroturf area(our septic field) that's about 200 feet long to the woodshop. Not easy access.

Eric, I would agree that Felder/Hammer should provide a basic adjustment manual & it wouldn't be hard for them to do. For example, my SawStop has a great one. Spiral bound and all (like Brian Lamb's manual was); but, even something simple. Like my SuperMax drum sander has a few pages about "loosen this & tighten that" to get the table adjusted & aligned.

Christopher, check out this thread for a look at a shipped machine: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....r-It%92s-Alive

You should be able figure out if you could move it with a tractor or rental machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Glanton View Post
    I have 10 steps leading to a astroturf area(our septic field) that's about 200 feet long to the woodshop. Not easy access.

Chris, I can think of several possible ways to get your machine to the shop but your best bet might be to hire riggers. They'll be insured, bonded, and experienced with this sort of thing. I assume you will have other equipment going to the shop, too. They can do all of it.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep