Thread: Clamping across bookcases

Clamping across bookcases

Not my finest hour: I realized that I don't have quite enough clamps of sufficient length to clamp across the joint of every shelf in a bookcase I'm building. (There are eight shelves; I only have a dozen clamps.) The shelves sit in 1/4" dadoes in 3/4" plywood. Would it be sufficient to clamp across as many shelves as I have clamps for, given that each side is a single long board?

Why I like pipe clamps. You can quickly hop down to the hardware and store and get the right length of pipe.
    Regards,

Tom

Maybe, but you'll find out on your dry run. You were planning a dry run, right?

You may be able to do subassemblies or use screws in hidden spots. Thick or curved cauls may work to spread the clamping force sufficiently.

Dubuque makes some nice short shelf clamps for this situation.

Blog Entries
    I'm with Kevin around the idea of using cauls. Some old 2x4's can pretty quickly be turned into a suitable method of spreading the force. You don't need a caul to span the entire length... shorter cauls that allow fewer clamps to bridge a couple of shelves would help the cause.

Alternatively, if you have ratchet straps hanging around, perhaps you could use those in a couple spots instead of clamps. Just protect your piece with scrap lumber so the straps don't dig in (could probably use cauls in this application too).

(and yes, dry run is well worth the effort)
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

My simple bookcase builds I use two biscuits and three screws at each shelf end. Then I add clamps. I plug the screw holes with contrasting wood.
    BillD

Another example of why it's helpful to post your location; lots of us would be more than happy to loan you what you need to complete the task at hand. If you're near 01462 I'll hook you up.

If you don't have enough clamps for the job, innovate. You can use ratchet straps, lengths of 2x material with clamped blocks and wedges. rope and Spanish windlass, screws and plugs, etc. You could lay it on its side and apply weights or other means of holding it together. Think outside the box. Or glue it up in stages.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

If you can assemble it on it's side you can use gravity to clamp it as well as clamps. Or wedge it between the wall and the car tires.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Another example of why it's helpful to post your location; lots of us would be more than happy to loan you what you need to complete the task at hand. If you're near 01462 I'll hook you up.

John you bring up a good point. Its something ive never considered before, but i would also be open to lending out a couple clamps for a difficult glue up, if someone needed them. Clamp quantity and quality is something i struggled with early on. I was fortunate enough to run into the great Home Depot/Lowe's bessey liquidation sale 8-10 years ago when i was a year or two into woodworking.

Thanks for the kind offers of loans, but I'm in a relatively remote area of Canada, so I will have to fend for myself. My current plan is to supplement the clamps with some 18ga brads shot at a slight angle – sufficient?

A couple options. You can make some cauls with a slight bow, so the center of the caul exerts pressure in the middle before the ends are clamped. That put pressure across the whole width. You can also use the ceiling of your shop. Put the case on a strong surface, then bow some wood from the ceiling to the case. Same principle is to stack weight on the case with enough support under it to prevent bowing the entire case.