Thread: End grain cutting board from small scraps

End grain cutting board from small scraps

I have made end grain cutting boards the conventional way by gluing long strips of appropriately oriented hardwoods together - I have a box or two of about a bazillion small hardwood scraps of various sizes (2-4 inches) and shapes and I don’t want to just burn them up. Thinking of getting them to somewhat standard size on the bandsaw and perhaps gluing individual pieces up to make an edge grain board. Looking for potential problems/ advice here, you tube, and on “The Google” but it seems no one does this (or at least admits to it........). Any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Jeff

Perhaps you would like Mtnwood"s You Tube channel. His chaotic pattern boards are pretty cool, and a great way to use cut offs from other projects.

I'm guessing the main reason it is not done more often is that it is more time consuming, if you've got the time and a bazillion scraps, go for it and post some picks so we can share the journey. While I haven't made cutting boards from small scraps I make lots of wooden toys from them definitely more time consuming.

I think you are probably right Doug, but right now I think I’ve got more time than sense so I will probably give it a try ��
    I was wondering about problems with so many glue joints - don’t think I want to use that much epoxy, but who knows?
    jeff

Jon - I had seen variations of the chaotic boards but all the ones I found used long strip off cuts glued together rather than what I have - lots of small ( in all dimensions) pieces. Tnx for your reply
    jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Clode View Post
    I think you are probably right Doug, but right now I think I’ve got more time than sense so I will probably give it a try ��
    I was wondering about problems with so many glue joints - don’t think I want to use that much epoxy, but who knows?
    jeff
    In the end don't think you will use any more glue than if you started with larger pieces, maybe less. Why epoxy? I'd just use TB3. I'm guessing your retired also, nice to have more time than sense.

Jeff, it’s a fun project and a great way to use up off cuts. I did a few cheese boards (maybe they are now called charcuterie boards?). Long grain, not end grain. You can see I didn’t spend enough time on fitting some of the joints...but I believe I used TB2 and it’s held up well.

0E6FAA5F-FFC8-42C7-B141-84815F94A1F0.jpg

That's interesting about using scrap. I just finished about five bluebird houses to use up some of my softwood scrap. Gave them all away as gifts.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.