Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ? Good source for dust collection basics

? Good source for dust collection basics

Hi all,
    I am planning on getting a CV1800 dust collector for a small basement shop that is mainly used for turning, with drops for my lathe, bandsaw, and a separate drop for a dust right line (or something similar to clean the shop). I may add a drill press or other tools eventually but space is limited, so not sure.

The plan is to have my DC in a cold storage room adjacent to the shop with a 6” hole through a concrete wall to the shop for the main intake line. I have the option of doing filters or a direct outtake line to outside (though the line outside is only 4” so maybe not large enough).

I’ve Never used a DC and am just trying to educate myself on the basics but am finding it hard to get a basic overview. I’ve read Bill Pentz’s website and tried watching some YouTube videos and searching SMC but wondered if there is a good source on the basics, i.e. best type of PVC/supplies to use, details on installing the ducts and drops, how to prevent leaks, is grounding necessary and if so how to do it, etc. etc.

any guidance/direction would be appreciated.
    Tom

How tall is the room you are planning to place the DC in?

When I was studying dust collection besides the Pentz info (a long read!) I got a lot from Sandor Nagyszalanczy's book "Woodshop Dust Control". It's a bit dated now (2002) so it doesn't have recent hardware but for me it was well worth reading. Covers making things to pick up dust from a number of shop machines, ductwork, air cleaners, respirators, health hazards, much more. Lots of photos and drawings.
    https://www.amazon.com/Woodshop-Dust.../dp/1561584991

Edit: I see Kevin and I were thinking alike and at about the same time.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    4" is definitely way too small for that blower. You need at least 7", probably 8". I don't see any advantage to using PVC for dust collection, especially when you get to sizes above 4". Steel spiral duct is easy to work with & not very expensive. You can get true long sweep elbows, which are better than the tight 90*s, or even 2 45*s back to back.

If you have the budget for it, the Nordfab type duct & fittings are nice.

I would use 26 guage HVAC ducting before PVC. Bill has a point about the sewer PVC being cheap, but the connectors are much more expensive than the HVAC ducting, which is also a bit more flexible. It also addresses your issue with leaks, because you can coat it all with mastic. With PVC it's just air tight, and if it's not, you can use PVC solvent to stick it together.

As for grounding, it's not necessary. For PVC it's not possible to ground it, since it's an insulator, and for metal, it all goes back to the DC.

Also, before anybody says anything, I've got my shop all setup with 26 guage metal ducting, and it will not collapse when used with a 5 HP or smaller DC. Maybe with one of those 10 HP commerical monsters, but then you'd have a large duct, so even then I'm dubious. DC just don't generate enough static pressure.

The ceiling is 9’ so with the 30 gal. container it will fit okay.

The room is only 14’ long so hopefully it won’t be too expensive for the ductwork, though I’d still like to do whatever is best value without compromising quality. The clearvue website recommended PVC so that is why I was leaning towards that but am open to other options, I just don’t know what works. I’ll need to check out that book.

Thanks for the replies.

Since your area is reasonably small, consider going with spiral pipe for ducting. The folks at Blastgate Company were very helpful with the layout and fittings needed for my shop. It is easy to work with and installed very quickly. It came via UPS in a big box and I had everything needed. No multiple trips to the borg, no needing a long sweep elbow that nobody carries. As an asdie, I really liked the grey vinyl tape they offer for sealing. It was easy to work with and adhered well.

I use 6" DWV PVC with my 5 hp cyclone and it works very well. I get great cfm through it. Since you are in northern Illinois, you have a Menards near you and they have the 6" DWV.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Since your area is reasonably small, consider going with spiral pipe for ducting. The folks at Blastgate Company were very helpful with the layout and fittings needed for my shop. It is easy to work with and installed very quickly. It came via UPS in a big box and I had everything needed. No multiple trips to the borg, no needing a long sweep elbow that nobody carries. As an asdie, I really liked the grey vinyl tape they offer for sealing. It was easy to work with and adhered well.
    Just curious, what is the advantage of spiral pipe over others?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I use 6" DWV PVC with my 5 hp cyclone and it works very well. I get great cfm through it. Since you are in northern Illinois, you have a Menards near you and they have the 6" DWV.
    Thanks for the post Larry - I just moved to Utah but had forgotten to update my profile. I lived in the midwest for 16 years and loved Menards but sadly, it's a little out of reach now!

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Just curious, what is the advantage of spiral pipe over others?
    Thanks for the reply.
    Tom
    Spiral is stronger than smooth duct piping. That is mostly important with high fan pressures so the duct does not collapse. Smooth duct is usually enough for home dust collection. Oneida site indicates 26 gauge is adequate for their systems up to 5 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne Watt View Post
    Spiral is stronger than smooth duct piping. That is mostly important with high fan pressures so the duct does not collapse. Smooth duct is usually enough for home dust collection. Oneida site indicates 26 gauge is adequate for their systems up to 5 hp.

Thanks. Which is more preferable, spiral or PVC? On the ClearVue website they list 3 types of PVC that they recommend - how important is it to follow their guidelines?
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson80 View Post
    Thanks. Which is more preferable, spiral or PVC? On the ClearVue website they list 3 types of PVC that they recommend - how important is it to follow their guidelines?
    Tom
    Spiral is very expensive for something that should be out of the way, and designed to get covered in dust. Depending on the manufacturer it can be easy to install, but PVC is as well. If you're not going to go with normal HVAC ducting, then PVC. If you have a 10 HP dust collector, want to spend money to avoid some minor annoyance, or if you geek out about beautiful utility pieces, spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Spiral is very expensive for something that should be out of the way, and designed to get covered in dust. Depending on the manufacturer it can be easy to install, but PVC is as well. If you're not going to go with normal HVAC ducting, then PVC. If you have a 10 HP dust collector, want to spend money to avoid some minor annoyance, or if you geek out about beautiful utility pieces, spiral.
    Thanks!! I'm looking to do the cheapest/simplest way without compromising quality.