Thread: Can I Modify My Epilog to Increase Wattage / Power?

Can I Modify My Epilog to Increase Wattage / Power?

Howdy. I own an entry-level Zing Epilog Laser Cutter. It is rated from the factory at 30 watts. I have a machanist friend who says I can change the tube in this machine and double the power, but I have my doubts.

Is this a realistic possibility? Some of the materials I use are too thick to cut at 30 watts. The machine is out of warranty.

Thank You.

You can still call Epilog tech support. I doubt that you can increase to 60 watts without doing some other costly changes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Null View Post
    You can still call Epilog tech support. I doubt that you can increase to 60 watts without doing some other costly changes.
    Mike, thanks. My thinking as well.

sm

The two primary factors are the tube and the power supply. The power supplies typically are good for a small range of tube ratings, such as 25, 30, 35, and 40 W for a smaller supply, and 45,50, and 60 W for a middle ranged supply, maybe 80 and 100 W for a medium large supply. So you have to match the power supply to the tube. With a bigger tube and beefier power supply, the machine will be creating more waste heat and so might need an improved cooling system (bigger/faster fans, more fans...).

In general, it isn't economical to make significant upgrades to laser engravers, not because it is too difficult or unwieldy, but because the manufacturers have no financial incentive to make it so. Before the sale, they will usually tout that you can upgrade your machine if you outgrow it. After the sale, they pointedly note that you are better off selling the old machine or keeping it for additional capacity or as a backup, and buying a new, more powerful machine. More powerful models (and newer models, if there are any) generally have nice-to-have features such as newer job control software, improved firmware, faster head movement, new warranty, etc. etc. But, if you really want to upgrade your old model, sigh, well, okay. BUT! You typically will pay retail prices for the higher rated parts, and might get little or nothing for the replaced parts. With good bargaining and/or a show special, you might not have to pay all that much more to buy the new machine instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Monaghan View Post
    The two primary factors are the tube and the power supply. The power supplies typically are good for a small range of tube ratings, such as 25, 30, 35, and 40 W for a smaller supply, and 45,50, and 60 W for a middle ranged supply, maybe 80 and 100 W for a medium large supply. So you have to match the power supply to the tube. With a bigger tube and beefier power supply, the machine will be creating more waste heat and so might need an improved cooling system (bigger/faster fans, more fans...).
    Not to mention that the upgraded tube may be longer than the existing one as well. That'll add more fab work on your part, making room for said upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Memmer View Post
    Howdy. I own an entry-level Zing Epilog Laser Cutter. It is rated from the factory at 30 watts. I have a machanist friend who says I can change the tube in this machine and double the power, but I have my doubts.

Is this a realistic possibility? Some of the materials I use are too thick to cut at 30 watts. The machine is out of warranty.

Thank You.
    If your machine is a Zing 16 (16x12 bed), your only option without extensive modifications would be 40 watts. If you have zing 24 (24x12 bed) then yes, it is possible, as that machine is available in 30, 40, 50 and 60 watt configurations from Epilog. As stated, you would most likely have to change the power supply as well as the tube. The tube will be the most expensive part of the whole upgrade. I would encourage you to contact Epilog support. They are very good at what they do, and will be more than willing to speak to you about the upgrade, and what all needs to be done. I will caution you that right now, due to pandemic situations, it can be a bit harder to get ahold of support. I've heard it is best to not stay on hold waiting for more than a couple of minutes, but to keep calling back until you get a live person answering. The other option is to go to the Epilog site and find out who the distributor is for your area and contact them.
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Utick View Post
    [...] The other option is to go to the Epilog site and find out who the distributor is for your area and contact them.
    I forgot about that... I don't know if their policy has changed, but a few years ago it was Epilog's policy that they would directly handle going from one of their old tubes to one of their newer models that were rated 5W higher, such as replacing a 35W with a 40W, but you HAD to go through a distributor to upgrade of one of their lasers to a significantly higher wattage. My distributor at that time was hard to connect with, slow to return calls, and pretty blunt about the fact that he made more by selling new lasers, plus upgrade costs would be based on the difference in retail prices of the original and upgraded models (and there would be no negotiations, take it or leave it).