Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimax Si 315ES or Felder K 700 S

Minimax Si 315ES or Felder K 700 S

I have narrowed down my search for a new sliding table saw to the Minimax Si 315ES or Felder K 700 S. Configured the way I want, both are within $100 of each other, so price is not a factor. I think that if I could take what I like from each saw and combine them, I'd have the perfect slider, but since I cannot, I would appreciate hearing from owners of these two saws about the things they like and dislike about their choice of saw.

Scott I have the Felder K700 s . I purchased this machine "used". The guy I bought it from built one set of kitchen cabinets and two bars . So was just like new but significantly cheaper. I actually was looking for Minimax/SCM when I found the Felder. Really happy with this saw ,the X-roll slide is very smooth. I am picky when I set up machines ( my employee calls it anal retentive) . The Felder got the once over and everything checked and dialed in to precision. That was two and half years ago and it is still bang on, Wasting the piece of plywood with the five cut method was worth it. I honestly think you would be very happy with either saw. Felder accessories are very pricey ,I made my own butt bar and hold down clamp. Felder blades have a couple extra holes for registration pins that need to be bored when you have a new blade. Go with the one that has closer dealer support. For me it made no difference both are three hours away.

I have an S315WS which is very similar to the SCM/Minimax machine you are considering...just onder and only 8'5" wagon. I'm extremely happy with it. And the fact that my saw can take ordinary tooling including a dado stack (something I've actually not used it for) is a plus. I sure wouldn't kick the Felder out of my shop, either. These are both great machines.

One part of your decision may have to be lead time to get it. Make sure you get that information from whomever you are working with with each manufacturer.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've sold (as well as used) MANY of both machines. Here is my experience:

-S315 owners: All happy

-K700S owners: All happy

Both machines are similar in cutting capability but there are differences in design. Either machine would suit any one-man shop perfectly fine for many years. My advice is to buy which one you like more. In the end, it's you who will be using it every day and this is a hobby, so if there truly is not a price issue, I would would go with your gut.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 02-04-2021 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Ditto what has been said, you can't make a bad choice from that lot. I chose the 700 series Felder when I had the same dilemma. Reason for me was an in person visit to a MM and thinking that the Felder was a little more refined at that point, and there was a way to get one a lot quicker than the MM when I ordered. I'd still pick the Felder, but I would not kick the MM out of my shop for sure.

Any pros and cons for these or features you liked better on one vs. the other? There are no local dealers, and I've only seen videos and pictures. The one thing I did really like about the Hammer C3 31 I had were the crosscut fence stops.

Both are great machines. Nether is a "bare bones" machine, either. Historically, Felder has offered a lot more configurability relative to options whereas SCM/Minimax tends to sell in well equipped packages. (although you certainly can order special if you want to wait for it)

I will honestly say, however, that I truly appreciate that I can use "regular" blades including a dado set on my S315WS. That's less important for some folks because they intend to buy new tooling, but I was able to preserve the use of all of my existing blades from the cabinet saw I rand previously. I only fully moved to 12" blades just a few years ago, but still have some specialty 10" blades I can run if need be.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Is this comparison here apples to apples? I have a Minimax guy telling me the Si 315ES is comparable to the Felder 900 series, while the Felder guy is telling me that the K 700S is comparable to SCM saws, while the SI 315ES would fall between the Felder and Hammer saws. I understand both have their biases. It would be much better for me if I could see both in person, but neither has a dealer anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shimmin View Post
    Is this comparison here apples to apples? I have a Minimax guy telling me the Si 315ES is comparable to the Felder 900 series, while the Felder guy is telling me that the K 700S is comparable to SCM saws, while the SI 315ES would fall between the Felder and Hammer saws. I understand both have their biases. It would be much better for me if I could see both in person, but neither has a dealer anywhere within a reasonable driving distance.
    Scott, where exactly are you located?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shimmin View Post
    I am in the Phoenix, AZ area.
    OK, so Carl Knapp is probably your Felder rep. You could always ask him to put you in touch with a local referral. I would be shocked if there weren't at least several Felder slider owners in your area. I think that once you actually put hands on on a machine in person, that will go a long way towards helping you feel comfortable with your decision. Good luck,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

12. Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I've sold (as well as used) MANY of both machines. Here is my experience:

-S315 owners: All happy

-K700S owners: All happy

Both machines are similar in cutting capability but there are differences in design. Either machine would suit any one-man shop perfectly fine for many years. My advice is to buy which one you like more. In the end, it's you who will be using it every day and this is a hobby, so if there truly is not a price issue, I would would go with your gut.

Erik
    Shows you how classy Erik is. He's given me good advice about buying a Minimax and that shows you how he wants the woodworker to be satisfied no matter what brand he buys. Either would be great and while I bought a Minimax the service and communication was just okay. Not enough not to buy again but..not stellar for sure. Both great saw for sure. Juat wanted to comment on the great job Erik does here on the forums.

Thank you for that compliment, Joe. Having done this for so many years, the challenge has always been the same no matter whether it was Italian or Austrian machinery: In 90%+ of the cases, the first time the customer ever sees their purchase is when it shows up on the delivery truck. So, trust is a huge thing and so is anxiety. My honest opinion is that for the average hobbyist/weekend warrior ww’er, they could happy with any brand of European machine. At this level, they are all such a huge step up from what we started on that it will be a quantum leap forward as far your user experience. Sure, this brand might offer stuff that the other doesn’t and vice-versa but that’s always the case. My advice to any HOBBYIST (shops will be a little different) considering a move like what I suspect the OP is doing would be something like:

1.) Like stated earlier, go with your gut. Does the rep you are working with make you feel comfortable about your decision? Do you get a good vibe about the company? When my wife and I were looking at builders to handle our remodel, we interviewed several. There were cheaper bids than the guy we went with but I liked him the most and we had a positive experience in the end. So, I do not regret spending the extra $$$.

2.) Accept the fact that this is a huge investment and that anxiety is normal. Lead times are wacky right now, prices are fluctuating, etc. There is and will be an element of uncertainty, due to the pandemic. The sooner you accept this, the sooner you can move forward with getting to that dream machine.

3.) Do not let yourself get trapped by analysis-paralysis. This is probably the #1 obstacle I see hobby ww’ers putting in their own way. Guys sometimes email me Excel sheets and want me to fill in “our” specs vs. “their” specs, LOL. I just tell them it doesn’t matter because assuming the rep you are working with knows anything about their product line and is actually listening to what you are asking for, they ought to be able to make a solid recommendation in the first place. So, the rest is really on you. Mentioning this because these are the folks who get stuck in the “spreadsheet rut” and guess what happens? They never end up owning that dream machine.

Just my observations and again, good luck to the OP in his search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I wish we had a like button here, Erik's posts would have gotten a thumbs up from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I wish we had a like button here, Erik's posts would have gotten a thumbs up from me.
    I strongly support Steve's view. Professional, ethical and honest conduct deserve to be recognized.