Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a new egg shortage?

Is there a new egg shortage?

I was at Walmart this evening and the egg section was completely bare. Signs were posted about an egg shortage. Is there a new egg shortage? I tried searching Google News and other sources about an egg shortage, but nothing.

I bought 18 eggs last week so I am good for now, but it seemed crazy that the entire egg cooler was bare. There were no dozens of large eggs last week, but I figured it was because I went shopping quite late in the day.

I saw something about a shortage of egg cartons causing that back around the holidays.

Blog Entries
    Our regular store was out of the 18 count packs a few weeks ago.

A lot of items are in short supply. The canned food section is often all the items stretched out one layer deep. Some odd brand items appearing in multiple places when other items sell out.

Something about a public health problem keeping a lot of people from work and canneries at full capacity.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Regional delivery problems can be weather related.

Minnesota and the windy Prarie states are more vulnerable to delays when major highways are shut, trucking staff reduced, etc.

I've noticed a sign in the Aldi store I shop that explains the higher price of eggs as there being a market disruption. Before Christmas they were $.44/dozen and last week they were $1.18/dozen. They don't indicate what the disruption is caused by.

We had a Nor'easter this week-- the day before the grocery store looked as though the locusts had been through, no eggs, no milk, no TP, no bread, no lettuce. You'd think a snowstorm in MA was a rare, bizarre, and frightening experience. (we got 18" overnight, but the roads were cleared to wet pavement by 10 AM.)

No egg shortage at our house. The chickens have been laying like Summertime.

If everyone would stop hoarding canned goods, paper goods, and now apparently eggs as if Earth is coming to an end, we wouldn’t have these problems. My local store cannot keep crap on the shelves. But the ‘zon can deliver cases of anything missing at the store. It’s infuriating.

Maybe the chickens are feeling mournful.

Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    If everyone would stop hoarding canned goods, paper goods, and now apparently eggs as if Earth is coming to an end, we wouldn’t have these problems. It’s infuriating.
    People are feeling panic. That's not a rational state.

When everything else feels out of their control, they can still go get things to bring home.

I would assert that's a survival trait, bred into our genome after eons of scarcity.

Have you ever seen the eyes if someone during a Panic Attack? It's as if they're entirely alone.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I was at Walmart this evening and the egg section was completely bare. Signs were posted about an egg shortage. Is there a new egg shortage? I tried searching Google News and other sources about an egg shortage, but nothing.

I bought 18 eggs last week so I am good for now, but it seemed crazy that the entire egg cooler was bare. There were no dozens of large eggs last week, but I figured it was because I went shopping quite late in the day.
    Must be we were down to just one egg after I made breakfast this morning.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I wish I understood the "Siege Mentality." Why, whenever there is a natural disaster, be it hurricane, Nor'easter, wild fires, whatever, there is always a run on milk, eggs, and bread. What is it that makes everyone want to go make French toast???
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Tom, do you light your coop to get your hens to lay in the winter? Here in NE Ohio, ours quit around Thanksgiving. It's staying light later now, so they'll probably start up again in a few weeks. We've never used lights, but I know some folks who do.

They have a heat lamp for below freezing nights. Every hen is laying an egg a day.

There were eggs in our local grocery store last week.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....