Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Planer vs Upgrade Existing Benchtop

Not to "Rain on your parade," but with the tax cuts last year, and decreased with holding, you may not be getting a windfall. Many are finding that they have to pay in after years of refunds. FYI, last year was the first time in over forty years, we didn't have to pay in. We got a refund of, brace yourself, $4.99. Blew in one trip to Burger King. Did our part to stimulate the economy.

Unless you plan on using A lot of figured wood, I would keep the 734 until it kicks the bucket. Infinity makes carbide knives for the 734, but they are expensive, depends on how much you hate changing knives. You can put a ported and polished set of heads on a Honda civic and it will do better, but it will still not perform like a V8. The point being except the 734 for what it is, if you want power and less noise, a stationary planer is what your after.

If you really want to upgrade, I'd get a floor model with an induction motor and a helical head. As Rod mentioned, that should last you the rest of your life unless you decide to go wider.

I thought of putting a helical head in my 735 but decided that I'd just stick to replacing the blades. The blades last longer now than when the machine first came out. I guess they improved the steel.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I used a DW734 for years before moving into a larger shop and getting an industrial 20” spiral head planer ... but even if you get a new planer I would recommend keeping the DW734. I still use it on occasion when planing reclaimed wood, really soft wood (rubber rollers are better for that), or wood with a lot pitch. If I blow up the knives on the 734 I can easily replace them ... not so much on the 20” spiral carbide cutter head.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

I went the same route upgrading the same machine to a Grizzly 15”. The helical head has the cutters oriented straight and it does a fine job. My jointer I upgraded with a Shelix and the difference is minimal but noticeable on narly woods. Difference between starting sanding at 120 or 150. Maybe save up one more year and get a jointer planer combo. One an done unit that’ll last a lifetime for a hobby. Take a look at the Hammer line.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

You mentioned issue with the blades on the 734. Are you using dewalt blades? I've been underwhelmed with the stock blades on my 735, and I'll be looking at after market blades once I flip the 2nd set of blades on mine. Looks like infinity also has their HSS and carbide blades for the 734, as I'm sure others do as well. That might be worth trying as you're getting the easy of use with indexed blades at a fairly palatable cost.

If you have an 8" jointer, then a 15" planer makes sense. If you jointer is a 6", then stay with a 13" planer.

I wouldn’t spend $2200 on a 15” stationary in your situation. The $450 spiral will breathe new life into your old dewalt, reduce noise and save you money on blades in the long run. Especially if you’re busy with 2 kids and not much time.

You’ll never have a problem selling the dewalt with a spiral already installed. Easier to sell portable planers and don’t need a truck.

The noise reduction alone is almost worth it. Straight knife portable planers are crazy loud. The spiral heads make them much more enjoyable especially if you’re a weekend garage warrior in a subdivision.
    Last edited by Robert London; 02-03-2021 at 9:39 PM.

A $400+ cutter head on a lunch box planer seems like Mickey Thompson slicks on a Corrolla to me. You may max out your performance, but it's still a Corolla.

If your planer wears out you can sell the cutterhead on eBay. You will get a large chunk of your money back.

Re: Grizzly 1037z or other Planer Molders - I've looked at that a few times, and I must admit I'm intrigued, partially because one of the projects I'd like to tackle is replacing all our current molding. 100 year old house, and a lot of the original molding has been painted, or replaced. The ones that have had either are pretty beat up, and nothing special, other than being 100 years old. However, I don't understand why those machines are all so narrow, none being larger than 13". The more standard 15" planers also seem to have a more rugged build.

@Jeremy Andrews - The lunch box is fine for what it is, in the same manner a hand drill is fine, but not as heavy duty as a drill press or a mill. Having seen it torn down in various videos to replace the cutter head, it's clear that its well built, but limited by it's nature as a "portable" planer, rather than being cheaply made.

@Bruce Wrenn - Good point, just did my taxes, getting about what I usually get.

@Myles - Yes, these are the DeWalt blades, I wasn't aware anybody else made blades for it, I might check out the Infinity blades, since I've heard a number of people complain about the DeWalt models. Their carbide seem like I might as well go with the Helical head, but the HSS might be worth a try.

@Curt - I've got a 8" jointer, I don't understand why that would effect the size of the planer. Is that based on the assumption I'd glue to boards together and feed it through that way?

@George Waldner - Good point. I could also buy another DW734 for that matter.

I don’t know why my 1037z is 13” as opposed to 15” but in my case it is an advantage. The machine is heavy steel, much heavier and solid than a lunchbox. It was made in Taiwan and does a great job. I haven’t tried it as a moulder yet but the accessories for using it were included. You would have to buy the knives.
    Last edited by Charlie Jones; 02-04-2021 at 10:02 AM.
    Charlie Jones

Bit of follow up. Called the local woodworking equipment company in town, and they had a floor model W1742H they were willing to deal on. Got it for $1850 + tax. This is basically the Shop Fox version of the G0453Z I was looking at, only this one comes with a true helical head, instead of the spiral head on the G0453Z.

PXL_20210208_220844030.jpg

Once I got it home, the real fun of trying to get it off the trailer without a fork lift, or engine hoist started. Decided to use a 1 ton winch, attached to the ceiling with 3/8" chain.
    PXL_20210209_034850665.jpg

Nothing says excitement like dangling $2000 worth of equipment 2' off the floor while your 2x6 joints crack and groan under the weight.
    PXL_20210209_034919593.jpg

But I got it down without injuring or damage to the machine.
    PXL_20210209_042938907.jpg

Going to get it reassembled tomorrow, and then the fun begins. Probably going to put it where the DeWalt currently sits, while it will be moving into storage and the cabinet will finally meet it's long delayed fate. (It's from a kitchen remodel my parents did in the 90s.) Also going to need to run some new electricals in the shop for a new 220V outlet.

That looks great. I've been thinking of going to a 15" planer, also. One reason to reduce the noise of my DeWalt 735. Let us know how it works out for you.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That looks great. I've been thinking of going to a 15" planer, also. One reason to reduce the noise of my DeWalt 735. Let us know how it works out for you.
    We ran this planer in the store, and it has a helical head. My current 734 is one of the loudest tools in the shop, the new planer was so quiet I could talk at a normal conversation level with the salesman.

On thing I don't hear discussed much is that the motor on the new planer is about the size of my lunchbox planer, while the motor of the lunchbox has to be about the size of a orange or can of coke. I'm surprised these benchtop planers work at all.

All that being said, I can't help noticing in his last video Jimmy Diresta was using an old delta on the floor of his shop. He's got access to a number of tools, including a nice, old iron planer (can't remember the model). I don't think I've seen him use it.