Thread: Saving an unfinished thread

Saving an unfinished thread

How do I save a thread with pictures but not finished yet? So I can carry on and finish it later.
    Thanks

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Janssen View Post
    How do I save a thread with pictures but not finished yet? So I can carry on and finish it later.
    Thanks

Tim
    A thread or a post you are making withing a thread? I don't know how to do it within SMC. What I do is select all and copy and paste into a Notebook window and save the file in case I don't get back to it for a while. The picture attachments will time out after a while so they will probably have to be reloaded manually. If I might not remember which picture I used where I make notes to myself in the file, like "[pic of DC at lathe]". If I know I won't finish the post right now I sometimes just compose it in Notepad or something and put in the photo notes, then copy to SMC when ready and upload the photos.

BTW, I do the same when I save a thread or a post in a file for future reference. I have several files with dozens of posts I can go back to if needed. In that case, I also save the link to the post.

Another thing, but I don't think it will do what you want: you can save the entire visible part of a thread (including photos) to an HTML file with a command in the browser. For example, in Firefox I can choose File/Save Page As and it will create an html file and a directory with all the resources including photos and any uncompleted responses. This will keep all links to other things in SMC but it still doesn't save unposted photos. I use this sometimes to save interesting or useful things from a web site for reference. Works here to but it's better for interesting web pages.

If someone knows a way to do what you asked, I want to know too!
    I also would like to know what good the "Auto-Saved" notice I get periodically when composing a post. Auto saved where? How can it be recovered?

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Tim
    You have 24 hours from when you first make a post to alter that post. After that only a moderator can make any changes.

You can compose your post in any word processor application and then copy and paste the entire text into the SMC past composition window. Then you would have to upload any photos that are part of it. Be sure to edit you pasted text as some special characters do not translate well from some word processing applications.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-01-2021 at 9:03 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    A thread or a post you ar-------------------------------------------------ng a post. Auto saved where? How can it be recovered?

JKJ
    Thanks John,
    I spent a lot of time preparing a thread, had to stop for supper before I could finish it,
    left the computer on and had my supper and when I tried to get back to it after supper, it had disappeared.
    And someway in order to get back to Sawmillcreek I had to put my name and password in again.
    Normally that is saved. Fortunately I found my password in some old note I had written down a long time ago.
    So I m back in business. Nevertheless I'll have to start all over again.
    And as you mentioned, where does on find the Auto saved information?
    Cheers,

Tim

Thanks Lee,
    As mentioned by John, do you know how to access the autosaved information?

Tim
    Last edited by Tim Janssen; 02-01-2021 at 9:10 PM.

I spent a lot of time preparing a thread, had to stop for supper before I could finish it,
    left the computer on and had my supper and when I tried to get back to it after supper, it had disappeared.
    I used to have computer problem where things randomly happened and I lost a number of partially written posts like that. That's fixed now, but back then I got into the habit of regularly hitting ctrl-a/ctrl-c then open a Notebook window and hit ctrl-V. Even with the problem fixed I still do that today when composing something long enough that I'd hate to have to do over if something did go wrong, such as me messing up!

JKJ