Quote Originally Posted by Melvin Feng View Post
Hmmmm, I don't think you mean live center - it would rotate with the piece, not allowing you to drill.
I assumed he meant to say "tailstock" instead of live center.

I often use Forstner bits in a end mill holder. One of my bit sets has 3/8" shafts so I use this 3/8" end mill holder - the bits fasten with a set screw. The fit in the holder is precise.

end_mill_holder.jpg

I do use #2MT collets but in the headstock since they can be pulled tight with a drawbar and to hold wood and not drill bits. (I usually use a collet that grips a 1/2" tenon and other sizes when turning metal rod stock.) They won't work in the tailstock since a drawbar won't work with a tailstock, at least I can't see how it can. The end mill holder grips the bit tightly but it can still slip in the tailstock so I generally grip it with small channel lock pliers or vise grips.

For twist drills I often use taper shank bits with #2MT or #1MT with an inexpensive adapter. (I've never seen a taper shank forstner bit!)

taper_1_IMG_20160919_094408.jpg

Between using the end mill holder and taper shank bits, I rarely put a bit in a Jacobs chuck. Both of these methods greatly reduce the extra length when using the Jacobs chuck. This might be important when drilling the end of a longish piece on a short bed lathe, but more important to me is the extra length can allow vibration and reduce precision. I do use Jacobs chucks a lot but mostly for center drills for starting a hole (and when I need a size I don't have in a taper shank bit!)

JKJ