Quote Originally Posted by Allen Mattsen View Post
I forgot to ask: the 8" tool rest that came stock with my lathe seems like something I'll want to upgrade. Any suggestions It's a 1" (24.5mm) post. I wonder if you just buy another tool rest that's larger or are there systems? Better makers than others for reasons I'm not aware of?
I've added a few tool rests to my 12/16 setup. I have the Robust 12" and 9" J-rest. I also have the Oneway 12" curved tool rest for bowls. I also plan on getting the D-way 13" offset for additional reach from the side.

I like the 12" Robust for longer spindles as well as for some bowl turning. I don't use the J rest as much as I thought I would for bowl interiors, but it does come in handy sometimes, though I feel like I have to constantly adjust it. The Oneway curved tool rest is fairly new to me - overall I like it for reaching around larger bowls more easily, but bowl interiors I still have to fiddle around with it a bit, and it does induce vibrations when it is supporting the bowl gouge all the way at the end, but this could also be due to the banjo not holding it as solidly as possible.

Tool rest purchases will really depend on what kind of turning you want to do. If you want to do even smaller things, Robust has a 4" as well, I believe

I've heard good things about Steve Sinner's tool rests, but I believe you have to call in to order, so I haven't tried one of his.

Before you order a tool rest, make sure the post is of the correct diameter and length for the 12/16, and that the distance from the top of the post to the top of the tool rest is also appropriate. If I remember correctly, for the 12/16, you can't use the full height Robust tool rests, you need the shorter one from the tool post top to the tool rest top, if that makes sense.