Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drill Bits

I buy from two local suppliers. One sells primarily Champion and Triumph, the other Fuller and Norseman. All excellent bits. Drilling in steel quickly separates the average from great.

I picked up a few quarter inch bits recently to drill 250 holes in 1/8” wall aluminum. I was surprised I only used 1 bit. It might have been Norseman and I honestly don’t know which steel they gave me. That’s the beauty of good suppliers. Tell them the application and they sell you what you need. A dying skill, unfortunately.

In wood, a sharp tip is most important for my purposes. I do a lot of freehand, unguided drilling as opposed to time on the drill press. I think HSS tends to be sharper initially than other metals, but this could just be perception. Certainly, nothing more is needed for drilling wood, right?

For drilling strictly wood, my go to bits are Fuller taper bits with counter bore. Nice sharp point, long lasting.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell Ristine View Post
    I should have been much more specific. Sorry. I'm looking for Brand and material for twist jobbers.
    LOL. Yes, you did get quite a lot of info that wasn't spot on, eh? I'm not in the tapered bit camp so I will let those that use them comment; hopefully a little more targeted from this point on
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Drill Bits
    Rod Sheridan's second post says it all

Ed

Mitchell I like Cle-line bits. Have used these for about 15 years.

So how do you like the riser block on your delta ?