Thread: sometimes it ain't about the joinery

sometimes it ain't about the joinery

Our cat Faith died last week after a long 23 year life. She was part monkey and spent a lot of time up in the trees in the yard. SWMBO asked if I could make a box for her ashes that would let Faith remain in the trees. So I found a walnut burl/crotch at Cassens, made a couple of cuts to size and shape, and made the 4" deep mortise from hell in the bottom for the ashes. The grain ran every which a way so it took 3 hours to make the mortise without worsening the cracking and checking in the wood. Sometimes we have to put away our fancy tools and machines and find the Occam's razor that is the right thing to do. Strangely enough this was an enormously satisfying task. Whodathunk.

20210131_212244.jpg 20210131_212301.jpg 20210131_212314.jpg 20210128_174325.jpg 20210128_174238.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Well done,and I'm sure you and your lady will be comforted by it. Cats are eccentrics ....who love beauty and demand the
    best of everything. So it's "just right".

Bill, condolences on Faith's passing and wow...what a wonderful may to memorialize her! You're adding to my idea inventory for clients, too...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice work
    Ron

Very creative William. I didn't read your post regarding its use as an ern before showing the photos to Linda as another very cool house idea for our "Fairy Village".

thanks for the post.

Sorry for the loss of your furry family member Bill. That is a well executed resting spot for Faith's ashes.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Condolences on your loss. Always hard to say farewell to our fur-babies.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

A wonderful response to a sad event.

Thanks for the comments guys. Faith was really her cat, and my wife loves it, which was the desired effect after all. After 23 years together she is missing her friend and I was glad to be able to ease the pain and provide some comfort.

A true labor of love. Well done, Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Our cat Faith died last week after a long 23 year life. She was part monkey and spent a lot of time up in the trees in the yard. SWMBO asked if I could make a box for her ashes that would let Faith remain in the trees. 20210128_174238.jpg
    This is about the sweetest thing I've ever heard.

As a kid we lived with a Siamese that would get "that look" in her eyes and skitch up the nearest tree.

It always ended with a ladder and recriminations, as if we were the cause of her predicament.

That cat lived twenty some years and at the end she was just the essentials: bones, fur and purr.

Condolences

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    ..............It always ended with a ladder and recriminations, as if we were the cause of her predicament...............Condolences
    Thx Jim. How do cats get away with that? No matter what happens, or what kind of shit they pull, it's never their fault. They always leave the scene of the crime with their heads held high and haughty look back that clearly says we are just too dumb to understand them. Bones, fur and a purr is about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Thx Jim. How do cats get away with that? No matter what happens, or what kind of shit they pull, it's never their fault. They always leave the scene of the crime with their heads held high and haughty look back that clearly says we are just too dumb to understand them. Bones, fur and a purr is about right.
    Your cask is very imaginative and looks like a lot of work. Love the descriptions of cat attitude from you and Jim. I have to think those attributes are tolerable in cats but not humans. We have had many cats over the years that all behaved that way. Wonderful companions. Condolences to you and your wife.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!