Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why you want the 3M PPS System

Why you want the 3M PPS System

I'm finishing a table and bench right now. The finishing process for the tops of both pieces involves a hand applied dye, followed by a sprayed coat of Sealcoat shellac, then 2 or 3 coats of uncatalyzed EM-8000CV, then a final coat of the same product with the catalyst added. Because the table top is too large to easily move I'm not able to do everything in a linear sequence. I'm doing everything on the bench top and then I'll move the table top to my finish area, once, and do everything on it.

With a conventional spray gun cup I would have to clean it completely between the shellac and two different finish coats. But with the PPS system all I have to clean is the gun body, which is fast and easy. The removeable bags/lids allow me to just pull them out of the outer cup and cap them for later use. Here you can see the bag of shellac and the uncatalyzed finish coat capped off waiting for use a day later.

John

I love the PPS system for exactly those reasons.

Unrelated, could you explain why you only use the crosslinker in the last coat? It would seem that weaker coats under a stronger coat would not be ideal. I'm just learning about these coatings and there's much I don't yet understand. Thanks.

I wouldn't want to be without it either.

One thing that freaks me out in that picture is the adjustable wrench. When I first graduated from school, I thought I would want to become an aircraft mechanic. Even though I figured out pretty soon after starting that I didn't want to be an employee, their rules against adjustable wrenches, and automatic center punches stuck with me. They had a rule that if you were caught with either in your toolbox that you would be let go immediately. I've never owned an adjustable wrench.

roger, the crosslinker primarily provides increased chemical resistance.

-----

John, all those reasons are great and I'll add that being able to spray with the gun held in literally any orientation, even upside down, is also a game changer that pretty much required a remote pot setup previously.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I originally intended to use the crosslinker with every coat, but when I read TC's instructions on adding the crosslinker they said that you can use expired (100 hours) crosslinked product as a basecoat. To me, that meant I could just as correctly use uncrosslinked product for the basecoats and crosslinker only on the final coat. Let's hope I didn't make a big boo-boo.

John

The other great thing about the 3m pps system is that the cups are essentially stop loss containers. I've had waterbased conversion varnish and lacquer in these for a couple months and it's sprayed and hardened just fine. I like to squeeze out the air at the top of the cup liner when storing them outside the cup.

Life hack: quart sized coffee cans make great auxiliary storage for partially filled cup liners so they don't flop over or collapse.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I wouldn't want to be without it either.

One thing that freaks me out in that picture is the adjustable wrench. When I first graduated from school, I thought I would want to become an aircraft mechanic. Even though I figured out pretty soon after starting that I didn't want to be an employee, their rules against adjustable wrenches, and automatic center punches stuck with me. They had a rule that if you were caught with either in your toolbox that you would be let go immediately. I've never owned an adjustable wrench.
    Adjustable wrenches and automatic center punches are a couple of my favorite tools - and I make no apologies for using them!

John

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I'm glad I didn't go to that school. I have wrench and socket sets from tiny to construction-equipment size but I'd hate to wake up to a day without adjustable wrenches. Have one with a 3' handle. Like any tool then need to be used appropriately. Used with care they are so valuable and huge timesavers. Used inappropriately they will quickly damage a nut or bolt head.

I also use big adjustable wrenches for things like bending heavy wire cattle panels when building cages or unbending things that shouldn't be bent.

JKJ

I don't know anything about spray finishing, but I am ok with adjustable wrenches and center punches. Provided you use them appropriately and correctly, thereby saving the tool, the nut and your knuckles.
    Be well.

It wasn't a school. It was a large FBO aircraft place at RDU. The only place I could get a job in the fuel crisis back in the early '70's, after I graduated from college. I could rent a Cessna 150 school plane for half price ($7.50 an hour), and take flight lessons for half price, working there. They had those rules for the mechanics, which I thought about doing.

I've since always used the proper sized wrench for anything. I have many dedicated wrenches with the woodworking tools.

It wasn't a regular center punch, but the automatic ones they didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    The other great thing about the 3m pps system is that the cups are essentially stop loss containers. I've had waterbased conversion varnish and lacquer in these for a couple months and it's sprayed and hardened just fine. I like to squeeze out the air at the top of the cup liner when storing them outside the cup.

Life hack: quart sized coffee cans make great auxiliary storage for partially filled cup liners so they don't flop over or collapse.
    Yeah, I use plastic yogurt containers to hold the cups/lids.

I'm going to have another post soon about EM-8000CV and have you and Jim to thank for getting me to try it. More to follow.

John

This thread pushed me to finally get into the PPS 2.0 system for my Fuji Minimite 4. I’ve got a big kitchen cabinet refinishing project coming up and am really looking forward to using it and less mess!
    Still waters run deep.

Anyone know for sure if this can this work with an Earlex Sprayport?

My understanding is the Fuji and Earlex hose fittings are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Anyone know for sure if this can this work with an Earlex Sprayport?

My understanding is the Fuji and Earlex hose fittings are the same.
    The hose doesn't matter...it's the gun. As long 3M has a cup adapter that fits your particular gun, the system "should" be usable. Worse case, you could upgrade your gun at the same time...it's only money.

I actually find myself wanting to get a second gun...something like the little Iwatta LPH-80 with the small PPS cup system for small projects and for spraying effects. (I don't use a turbine system, just to keep things up front)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The hose doesn't matter...it's the gun. As long 3M has a cup adapter that fits your particular gun, the system "should" be usable. Worse case, you could upgrade your gun at the same time...it's only money.

I actually find myself wanting to get a second gun...something like the little Iwatta LPH-80 with the small PPS cup system for small projects and for spraying effects. (I don't use a turbine system, just to keep things up front)
    Understood, I guess what I'm saying is does the same adapter fit the Earlex gun? I can't find any information other than Fuji.