Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

1 Feb 2021

Greetings,
    Wow! Where did January go? I hope this finds each of you healthy and prosperous. I got the benches delivered and the customer was super happy with them. I got them a cutting board made for their outdoor kitchen and delivered that yesterday. They love the natural bark edge I left on the Black Walnut slab for their outdoor kitchen cutting board. Here's a couple of pics - 53" long x 15" wide at the narrowest point and 25" wide at the widest point x 2.5" thick:
    walnut_slab_cutting_board1.jpg

walnut_slab_cutting_board2.jpg

Spent some time with family this weekend and spending some time with my #3 son who's home on leave.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Glad you got good family time this past week, Dennis!

Interesting week this past one was... Finished up a small commissioned job for a client who's making a glass mosaic coffee table and needed a substrate. The kicker is that it's...round. So that meant a walnut edge border from segments, which is a fun job in itself. But fortunately, the job also fit on the CNC so making it round with a rebate for the BB plywood "field" was in the cards. There was a little problem with my calculations which in the end required edge-banding it, but the end result is exactly what the client wanted. More time was spent than anticipated, but no matter...the challenge was fun. Thread coming in Woodworking Projects on this one soon.

This week will be digging out of the snow storm and some things in and around the house. I do not know if I'll be in the shop much. There's something else going on...cross your crossibles that it goes successfully.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

After a lot of procrastination on my part, last week I got back into the details of finishing the end table I started 2 years ago. I did manage to the the door manufactured with the exceptions being to knock off the sharp edges and mount the hinges. After cutting a removeable shelf for it, it'll be time to start assembly process for the divider and the top. After that it's on to trim and finish.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dennis, It is nice to hear you got some family time. So often it seems your job is encroaching on everything else you are trying to do.

Jim, All "crossibles" are crossed for you. I'll checkout the Projects forum to see the table substrate/edging.

Ken, Sometimes you just have to wait until the spirit moves you to continue a project. It isn't procrastination.

I finished up integrating the new to me old Craftman TS into my Table Saw area to allow a dedicated Finger Jointing machine. Now I just have to make a new sled to fit the saw and I should be ready to go. This week I'll clean up some odds and ends from re-configuring the shop for the A3-31 and then I can embark on a project. I've only been working on this since September, but it is a slow process when I'm limited to about 3 hours in the shop most days before the fatigue sets in.

Cleaned up an old Stanley Bailey #3 hand plane. It's a Type 15, made 1931-1932. My dad was a Industrial Arts teacher and this #3 mistakenly found it's way home many years ago and sat around neglected. I just turned 49 and I never saw it used. Not sure when it accidentally found it's way home. Part of me wants to clean it up a little more; like repaint the black, clean up the opposite side a bit more (more pitting) and work the iron a little more.

Sent dad some pics yesterday, think he was happy!

Photo Jan 28, 2 55 32 PM.jpg Photo Feb 01, 5 15 53 PM.jpg Photo Feb 01, 6 20 32 PM.jpg
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

I completed the pre-finishing of desk parts and glued up the 14 frame and panel sub-assemblies. Did a light sanding to make sure the rails and stiles were perfectly flush and am now working on completing the finishing. Once that's done it will be time to glue up the full pedestals. Finally starting to feel like progress. I had planned to work on the drawers next, but my wife suggested making the tops next so we could begin using the desks without the drawers. The "temporary" tables we've been using as desks for 10+ years now don't have drawers anyway, so we've been getting by without them anyway.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--