Thread: Garbage disposal leaking

Garbage disposal leaking

Came into the kitchen after the dishwasher was finished to find a nice puddle on the floor. Looks like the garbage disposal has sprung a leak. It’s dripping from the area right around where the power cord goes in on the bottom of the unit.

It’s an InSinkErator Pro333, installed in 2005. Any thoughts on whether it’s an easy fix or just time to replace?

68544F13-5BB8-47AC-A4B7-ADE38A306746.jpeg

I think that means the rotating seal at the top has failed. I have had no luck trying to remove the cutting disk to get to the seal. Make sure it is not water running down from the flange gasket. That can be fixed.
    Bill D.

I learned about these on this website. 12$ on the bay delivered
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-3-...LKDD/305767594

Just a suggestion but you might kick the dishwasher on and watch for the leak. If it's truly leaking through the motor/shaft seal it probably isn't worth trying to repair. Most aren't that expensive. Just thinking the drip might be a symptom of the problem and not the problem. If it's the disposal it should leak anytime you're running water down it. Just seems odd it would spring a leak sitting there. Since the dishwasher is plumbed either into it or a tap on the drain line it's possible.

Thanks gents. I assume it started leaking during the dishwasher cycle. It drips anytime I run water into it. There was no sign of water from any of the connections. I got 15 years out of it. Probably time to just replace it.

Many houses have the dishwasher drain connected to the disposal. The disposal will last twice as long if you connect the dishwasher to the regular drain pipe.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Many houses have the dishwasher drain connected to the disposal. The disposal will last twice as long if you connect the dishwasher to the regular drain pipe.
    I suppose the very hot water & harsh detergents are not the best for the seals. When I was in residential construction, I didn't see the plumbers ever connect the DW to the disposal.

I just replaced mine. It started leaking suddenly, coming out the bottom like yours. It was twenty years old so no hesitation about replace versus repair. The cause of the leak turned out to be a large crack in the cast housing of the grinding chamber.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but when I redid my kitchen I went without a disposal. I just don’t see any great advantage to it. I have a friend who is a master plumber, he doesn’t have one in his house either. I suppose I am in the minority though.

I hated those things when inspecting, never had to buy one but only because I looked real close for the small crack filled with rust but not leaking yet. Agents say well it’s not leaking so you can’t write it up. I said watch me. I also wrote up a warning that they could crack any day which was basically saying don’t call me. I’m on city sewer and didn’t put one in either.
    Last edited by Bruce King; 02-01-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Thanks gents. I assume it started leaking during the dishwasher cycle. It drips anytime I run water into it. There was no sign of water from any of the connections. I got 15 years out of it. Probably time to just replace it.

It has had a good life. It is time for it to take a trip over Rainbow Bridge and for a new garbage disposal to come into your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Sorry to be Debbie Downer, but when I redid my kitchen I went without a disposal. I just don’t see any great advantage to it. I have a friend who is a master plumber, he doesn’t have one in his house either. I suppose I am in the minority though.
    I have the same feelings as you. I don't know if I would ever install one again if I move to another house with city sewer. The only advantage to grinding up food to go into the sewer would be to not put stinky food waste in the trash. A lot of people put everything through the disposal and eventually end up with a plugged line. I rarely used my disposal and was constantly having stuff fall into the disposal. I hated retrieving the items.

I have a septic system now so no disposal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Not at all. When we built our present house, we didn't have a disposal put in. Instead, we have a deep basket strainer that catches stuff without clogging. It's about 2.5" in diameter and about 3" deep. I empty it no more than once a day. It freed up a lot of space under the sink.

We also don't have a dishwasher. Our architect swore up and down that we would come crawling back to have one so she insisted that the bank of drawers next to the sink be dishwasher wide. We don't miss the dishwasher. I counted up once and I think I've interacted with some 18 dishwashers in my life and my experience with all of them has been poor.
    -- pre-wash the dishes to remove all particulate matter
    -- run dishwasher
    -- either open the door to let dishes dry overnight or dry the dishes as they come out

For me, the dishwasher is a device that applies a caustic soap to the dishes and then rinses it off. It has never removed food.

So we don't miss a dishwasher. I like the discipline inposed by the lack of the machine. It forces me to clean as I cook and take care of dirty dishes right away. But there are just the two of us. I might feel differently if I had 4 kids.

Blog Entries
    Call a plumber, he will be able to deal with it.

"I suppose the very hot water & harsh detergents are not the best for the seals"

"F
    or me, the dishwasher is a device that applies a caustic soap to the dishes and then rinses it off. It has never removed food."

A bit off topic, but I've sometimes wondered if residuals from harsh dishwashing detergents contribute to some of the g.i. tract health issues that bother folks.

Blog Entries
    When my current disposer fails, I probably won't replace it because our town has distributed small bins for food waste that fit under the kitchen sink. They collect those with the organics, trash & recycling.