Thread: Picking up a used Sawstop ICS - couple questions

Picking up a used Sawstop ICS - couple questions

Hey guys,
    I had held off purchasing a table saw until I was ready to get a Sawstop PCS. Last week though I stumbled on a used 3hp Sawstop ICS being sold locally and purchased it. I called Sawstop with the serial number and spoke to a tech, who was incredibly helpful, but as I prepare to have it transported I have a couple new questions and figured I'd ask here as I've often lurked but never posted.

I've disassembled the saw down to the cabinet - removed rails, extension table, both wings, and motor cover. In the PCS manual, it states the top central table can be used as a handhold for tilting. The ICS manual says nothing about where to grab the saw when transporting. I'm paying a moving company to pick up the saw and move it to my basement, but I'd like to be able to give them some guidance. Is it really ok to grab the saw and tilt or move it by the table top? The reason I ask, is because I know it's very carefully aligned, and given how heavy the saw is I would think using the table as a handhold could affect the alignment. Are there any specific instructions I should give the movers?

By the way, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how heavy this thing is. Even after removing everything, it weighs a ton. When I look inside the cabinet I just don't get it. From what I understand, the motor weighs about 40-50lb right? So where's the rest of the 500lb cabinet weight? In the cast iron assemblies?

The saw is 10 years old. It does use the current blue cartridge, and the tech said there haven't been any significant revisions since the ICS came out aside from dust collection. I asked whether there was anything I should change or check as preventative maintenance, and he said as long as I've checked all my alignments and it's running fine, I shouldn't have to do any preventative replacements or service. Nonetheless, I'll be putting in a new blade and insert, and was considering putting in a new cartridge just for peace of mind. Any opinions on that?

Thanks guys,
    Austin
    Last edited by Austin Perera; 01-31-2021 at 9:28 PM.

You say the tech has been helpful surely they would be the best to give guidance on shifting saw.

When I moved my PCS into the basement I asked Sawstop how to do it. They knew right off the bat & suggested I rent an appliance dolly. Worked like a charm. Give them a call.
    Just a Duffer

Thanks guys, I’ll give them another call tomorrow. I suppose I was asking partly out of interest in shared experiences.

The saw top is fastened down pretty well to the cabinet. You'll usually have to release some locking screws to adjust the top to the cabinet, if I recall correctly. As long as the movers handle it like a fine piece of furniture, it should be fine. It's top heavy, so it took two of us to tip it upright. You could put something like a piece of plywood under the base, if it was open and then get a doll under it, then strap it down inside the moving truck. You'll have to remove the extra cast iron wings and fence system and then reattach them. If you didn't get a manual, you can download one from SS. Maybe take some photos to help you remember steps and for insurance purposes, in case it arrives damaged by the movers.

I would not bother replacing the cartridge. If the electrical signals work properly, the saw should function correctly and you'll be able to run it. If its of some huge concern to you, spend $100 for a new cartridge and a cheap blade and then run a hot dog thru the old cartridge/cheap blade.

The weight is due to the cast iron. That's why you can do a nickel test and the coin won't fall down. I'd also spray a coat of Boeshield on the underside, while you have it apart. I got some cheap magnetic vent covers and put them over the openings on my SS to help with dust collection suction.

Test the cartridge by putting your hand on the (non running) blade. The lights by the on/off switch should blink red when your hand touches it. That's telling you that if the saw was running, the brake would have triggered. If that works as expected, I wouldn't replace the brake.

Once moved, I would re-measure the alignment of the top to the blade - I suppose it might be off if the movers are using the top to pull it around. Pretty easy to adjust it if needed.

When mine was moved down into the basement, it was new so unpacked it, removed the top , removed the motor and two friends moved it down the basement steps for me. I put it back together and then assembled the saw all the way. The top bolted down dead on as close as I could check. I had talked to SawStop before hand and they emailed me directions on removing the motor. Very easy if you follow there directions. Since then I had movers to move a 15" wide belt sander down into the basement in one piece that weighed in at approx 940lbs. As long as you are paying movers I would not disassemble any farther then need to physically fit thru doors, etc.
    Ron

940 pounds on your basement stairs? Mine are only oak, I would not trust them without some temporary braces.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    940 pounds on your basement stairs? Mine are only oak, I would not trust them without some temporary braces.

i think the ics is 640 pounds....

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Saw plus two adults...

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    Justin I think Tom was referring to Ron's post about the 940lb belt sander. I disassembled the ICS down to just the cabinet with left and right wings removed, which according to the sawstop specs is 530lb for the cabinet alone in that state. My steps are concrete bulkhead steps.

my house is a tract ranch home built 1999 stairs is a straight shot down to the basement. I was at work when the sander got moved down by local moving company, neighbor made all arrangements and was here when it happened. Both sides of stairs have walls covered with drywall above stairs and bottom of stringers is drywall covered.
    Stairs act no different after the move. Wish I would have paid to have the Powermatic Shaper and the Sawstop moved down also instead of disassembling both of them.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Perera View Post
    Justin I think Tom was referring to Ron's post about the 940lb belt sander. I disassembled the ICS down to just the cabinet with left and right wings removed, which according to the sawstop specs is 530lb for the cabinet alone in that state. My steps are concrete bulkhead steps.
    Well updated code is 100 pounds per square foot on stairs, as of 2018 or so. However older code, who knows. A set of stairs with just two stringers 3 feet apart and a board and no risers would be iffy with that weight, as seen in older homes. Stairs with risers under then tread will provide a lot more support most likely more than the 100 sq foot requirement. Either way, any time you move heavy equipment, stairs, floor stringers etc should all be verified to support the weight.