Thread: Clifton #3 shipbreaker

Clifton #3 shipbreaker

I have a Clifton #3 handplane from around 2003. It has green paint. It came with the two piece chip breaker. I am looking for a one piece chip breaker. Has anyone found a one piece chip breaker that fits? Lee Valley, LN, Hock, etc. Thanks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    I have a Clifton #3 handplane from around 2003. It has green paint. It came with the two piece chip breaker. I am looking for a one piece chip breaker. Has anyone found a one piece chip breaker that fits? Lee Valley, LN, Hock, etc. Thanks
    From most of my reading on this it appears Stanley or LN chip breakers may need to be modified to work. The difference is the distance from the edge to notch for the depth adjust may be as much as 1/8".

Some mention filing the notch and filling the top by welding or brazing a fill in piece at the top. Another mentioned cutting a bit from the bottom where the breaker meets the blade and then filing and grinding to shape.

Sounds like a bit of work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That does Jim. The two piece chip breaker works sometimes, other times I think it shifts on me.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rainey View Post
    That does Jim. The two piece chip breaker works sometimes, other times I think it shifts on me.
    Does the whole blade and breaker assembly shift or just one part of it?

Sometimes on the Stanley if the lever cap screw isn't tight enough the blade will change its setting. Usually this presents as a change in the lateral adjustment.

This can be sensitive enough that often it is just a difference of less than 1/8 of a turn.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The Clifton two piece chipbreaker is repairable .... epoxy the connection so it does not move!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim, just the one part at end of breaker. Derek, I think I will try that. Thanks

I did a little adjustment to the pin to keep the small part of the chip breaker tight against the shoulder of the big part

My Clifton 3 is my most used plane - have 5 and 7 Clifton's as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John Gornall View Post
    I did a little adjustment to the pin to keep the small part of the chip breaker tight against the shoulder of the big part

My Clifton 3 is my most used plane - have 5 and 7 Clifton's as well
    Mark & John, if you can it would help others to understand this situation if pictures were posted.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Thanks Mark, it looks like the pin may be smaller than the hole and the rib smaller than the slot.

That could cause some frustrations.

jtk

It's been many years but if memory serves I used a drive pin and a ball pean hammer to push the pin - only needed a few thou to tighten the fit