Thread: Legs for a Krenov-ish cabinet

Legs for a Krenov-ish cabinet

I've been saving some beautiful book matched cherry and walnut flitches for several years and have decided to build a cabinet on legs. (that's probably where the Krenov connection ends. ) Everything but the walnut door panels is going to be white hard maple. I scored an amazing 2 1/4" x 9" x 9' quarter sawn piece that I'm going to use for the legs, which I currently think will be curved on the front and on the side. I made a test piece form a 2x4 and am looking for comments on the design. The cabinet will float above front and back rails with very long, minor cloud lifts. Haven't figured out the floating part yet, but what's the hurry? And I got to use my Stanley 113 plane again - love that thing - even tho it's missing the handle. Hence the glove. Oh - and the plane is very sharp, hence the first aid kit. LOL.

20210131_164957.jpg 20210131_165036.jpg 20210131_165057.jpg
    front 20210131_165158.jpg

Side 20210131_165208.jpg

20210131_165223.jpg

Also wondering if there is anyone near Morocco IN that has a Supermax sander that would be willing to sand the flitches to uniform thickness for me.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Looks like fun! Looking forward to seeing more of this build, Bill!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Love the shape of the legs! Is the curve only on one face?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Love the shape of the legs! Is the curve only on one face?
    On both the front and the side faces

I machined the blanks for the legs and they have some wonderful rays, fleck, quilt, ?? I've never worked with maple before, so I'm wondering how to finish them so that the rays, fleck will standout but also keeping them natural, as white as possible. I'm also thinking that putting the curve on the front will eliminate a lot of what I really like about this wood, so it may be back to the blue sky drawing board. Any finishing suggestions welcome. I have a limited amount of wood to waste testing dozens of approaches, so looking for some help from the creek hive mind.

20210201_171311.jpg