Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use any physically small tools?

Use any physically small tools?

I'm always interested in learning what tools others make or adapt. Today I'm interested in tools that are small in size but which help you get a job done. I have two to start the discussion.
    * Veritas mini block plane. It's a fully functional 1" long block plane. I find myself using it more and more as a go-to tool for knocking the edges off small projects like boxes. I use it all the time now.

* Single edge razor blades. I re-sharpen used blades on a 500 grit ceramic stone. I find that the 500 grit makes them into very handy small scrapers. They pull a small, thin shaving. Again, I use them on small parts and small boxes.

Anyone have more functional small tools or tool tips?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The Lie-Nielsen #100 model makers block plane is my personal favorite for chamfering edges. It gets used on nearly every project.

Blog Entries
    My Veritas Mini-Router has been used on a couple of projects:

d Using Mini-Router to Cut Stopped Slot.jpg

It will likely be used on future projects for small hinge mortises.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I had and sold the LN #100 block plane after the Veritas Pocket Plane came out. Now that is a wonderful plane, and not just for tiny work.

The other “small” plane I use a lot is the Veritas Small Shoulder Plane. This has a 1/2” blade and gets used on all rebates.

These knives for marking are among the best ...

I recently purchased a new 150mm Starrett double square, and it has become my go-to. I have a vintage 6” version, but have been increasingly using metric over imperial.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Good stuff all! Keep em coming guys.

Derek - where did you find the Stanley 0-10-958 knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have and use the Veritas mini shoulder plane and mini router plane. They both are fully functional and really useful in the right situation. I also have a similarly sized 1/2" wide rosewood chisel plane that I use all the time to clean up inside corners, but admittedly, often a regular chisel can do that job. Something about tiny tools makes me smile when I use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Something about tiny tools makes me smile when I use them.
    Me too Dave. Thanks for the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Derek - where did you find the Stanley 0-10-958 knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable.
    Look on Amazon. Here is one: https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-10-04...2150339&sr=8-1

The other to look for (I highly recommend) is the Swan Morton at the top. The top two use the same blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post

Looks like Ace Hardware or Home Depot could ship you a 10-049.

I have a no-name vintage 3/4 chisel stamped "Sheffield" that I ground as a tiny timber framing slick. I can pare with a straight/square edge, but I feel safer with a bit of crown on the edge. Handy for trimming up furniture sized tenons.

I do use the Luban 101.
    https://www.workshopheaven.com/quang...ock-plane.html

It really depends on the task at hand.

"where did you find the Stanley 0-10-"958" knife? Everywhere I look says they are unavailable."

You may have inadvertently swapped the 9 and 5, there's someone selling Stanley 0-10-598 's @ $20 on that big auction site
    Last edited by Mike Soaper; 02-01-2021 at 9:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My Veritas Mini-Router has been used on a couple of projects:

d Using Mini-Router to Cut Stopped Slot.jpg

It will likely be used on future projects for small hinge mortises.

jtk
    I have that same router plane. I think I’ve used it once so far—look forward to using it some more.
    Chuck Taylor

My hands don't quite work that small.....Uncle Arthur ( itis) seems to bother fingers the most....

Blog Entries
    This is another small tool from Veritas:

b1 Checking For Square.jpg

It is helpful on small dovetails checking for square.

Another recently acquired is the Veritas Mini-Spokeshave. it hasn't been set up and used yet. There is another mini-spokeshave in the shop:

Three Shaves.jpg

The set of three small chisels was also purchased and are yet to be used.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)