Thread: questions - TV cabinet and sliding doors

questions - TV cabinet and sliding doors

Hi all,

I'll be starting a TV cabinet in a few months (unheated garage in Toronto....) and I'm starting to acquire the hardware.

Some of the specs -
    - plus/minus 7 feet long
    - sliding doors rather than swing out doors
    - 3 sections for electronics, stereo equipment and discs etc - this means 2 dividers
    - the TV will be on the top of the cabinet

Some questions I'd appreciate your help with -
    - does each sliding door gets its own groove?
    - if there's 3 sections, is it best to have 3 sliding doors so 2 sections can be almost fully accessible or would 2 grooves do the job which would mean the middle section would always be 1/2 covered each time)
    - does anybody have any experience with these - https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop...e?item=00B1026

All ideas and suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks.
    ​​​​​​​
    Howard
    Last edited by Howard Rosenberg; 01-31-2021 at 4:39 PM.
    Howard Rosenberg

Blog Entries
    I built this tv cabinet with sliding doors. There are four doors and two tracks. The doors are mounted with hardware similar to your link. My hardware was from Rockler. There are plastic tracks on the bottom and top for the rollers and the upper guide. The cabinet is made to fit in a corner.
    IMG_3973.jpgIMG_3974.jpg

The design was for there to be three compartments. The outer two compartments were intended for DVD's and VCR tapes. The center compartment is twice as wide and is a pullout drawer open front and rear for access to the components.

The center two doors slide to the side and cover the outer two doors or vice versa.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thanks Lee. Gorgeous pics!
    Howard Rosenberg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks Lee. Gorgeous pics!
    Thanks, that old TV is now a much larger flat screen. The other consideration is whether the doors will ever be closed. In order for the electronics to work via a remote, the doors have to be open so as a result our doors are rarely closed.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Thanks, that old TV is now a much larger flat screen. The other consideration is whether the doors will ever be closed. In order for the electronics to work via a remote, the doors have to be open so as a result our doors are rarely closed.
    I'm no help to Howard, but Lee...i've looked at adding an Infrared Repeater in the past--just never did it. Here's a sample: https://www.amazon.com/Infrared-Repe.../dp/B01N674PE9 May yet one day do something--just to be able to move the boxes from the focal point of the living room!!
    earl

You're collecting the hardware, good. When you next buy a tv consider getting a stand for it. That will give you more flexibility in positioning the screen, height and direction. Also it helps with wires and looks better.

Along the lines of Tom's input, I'm going to suggest you wall mount the screen. That's much safer since it cannot tip over and permits it to be placed at the optimal viewing height. And with flat-screens, go big for the best experience. A nice credenza under it like you propose to provide functional storage will compliment things. If you can't provide for connections "inside" the wall, do a wide, flat Wiremold and paint it the same color as the wall. It will practically disappear from view.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

And RF remote controls don't need the doors to be open. And infrared receivers/repeaters just require a small receiver on the outside. So I really wouldn't worry about keeping a door open. If they look better closed, just plan on that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.