Thread: New Dining Table

New Dining Table

I've been wanting a new dining table for several years. I have a couple inexpensive 5 foot long by 3 foot tables that I put together and they worked but are not what I wanted. I finally took a lot of my free time in January and built what I want. The base is construction lumber stained black with black ink and covered with polyurethane. The straight pieces are 2x4s and the curved were cut from 2x12s. The top is 6 10 foot long cherry boards. I bought 4 fourths material but it was a bit thicker than that and I got 7/8 planned thickness. I deliberatedly left a little sap wood on the boards partially because removing it entirely would have required at least one more board and partially because this is not what I would call a real fancy table. Pretty simple.

The joints in the bases are 12mm dominos. The curved pieces are also fastened to the uprights with dominos. I think I used 20 in each end. The curved pieces to uprights are just 48mm long and the ends/curved pieces to the horizontal are almost 4 inches long. I "jointed" the boards for the top with my track saw. Worked well.

The chairs are left over from the other tables. I will probably make some out of cherry although I might buy some.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice.....

Looks great!!!!!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Very nice. I’ve generally left a little sapwood in my cherry projects. It adds a little character to the project and looks great IMHO. Nicely done !

Great table! May I ask what you used for a finish? I have a table on the horizon for our dining room.

Again, gorgeous table. Nicely done Sir!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-31-2021 at 7:11 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very nice Jim. Simple but very elegant table. Well done. Curious about the finish as well..
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Really nice, Jim. Well done. The black base with cherry top is a great combination. By the way, beautiful setting/view as well!

Very nice Jim!
    Can you share your glue up methods?

Impressive table. And that track saw sure did joint perfectly for you.

Likewise with the others, very nice looking table and and even more nice setting. Thanks for sharing.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

What an elegant look! I like this a lot.

Ron

Beautiful table and beautiful views out the windows.

Sorry for the slow response to questions. The base is dyed black with black ink and then covered with water based poly. I did the same thing with the home made mobile base for my PCS.

The cherry top is finished with Osmo. Pricey but the little can goes a long way.

On the bases, I glued the curved pieces to the vertical piece first. After that was dry, I trimmed a little off each end of the assemblies on the table saw using the rip fence. That made it flat to go on the horizontal straight top and bottom of each end. Then I cut the domino mortises and glued up each end. That glueup went OK but wasn't easy. I was using titebond II and I couldn't initially find my 2 lb deadblow. Sixteen joints on the same glueup is a lot. The top has 10mm dominos 3 inches in from each end and then about a foot apart. That helped a lot during that glueup and definitely worked better than biscuits. I made the top in 3 sections so I could manage it. The three sections were glued together in the dining room. Helps to be single sometimes. I used a vaccum on my Bosch DEVS 1250 to finish sanding the top of the table and then applied finish. I had a canvas drop cloth under the table while doing the glueup, sanding and finishing. No damage and not much cleanup was required. The base was finished before the top so it could support the top as it was finished. Applying Osmo while on my back under the table so both sides had the same finish was probably the worst part of the build. I spaced the top up off the base so I could get the whole surface. A smaller table would have definitely been easier but I wanted something my whole family can fit around.

The view is of Lake Murray, SC.

Jim — It’s a lovely table. How do you like the Osmo to work with? I have never used it and it gets somewhat mixed reviews, so curious of your real world experience.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Osmo is a simple finish and easy to put on. But it dries very slowly so it picks up dust making it important to keep the project away from dust for a day. I like the look, I have satin, and it is not at all shiny. I do not apply it as I have seen others do with a brush followed by wiping off the excess. I keep a rag in an old Osmo can that I pull out and use to wipe it on. The finish is pricey and I don't like the idea of throwing it away by applying too much and then removing the excess on a rag I dispose of. But wiping it on works well for me. My bed and nightstands are also cherry finished with Osmo and are holding up well.