Thread: Darning Mushroom?

Darning Mushroom?

Anyone have a link to a plans/template for a "Darning Mushroom"?
    I'm a newbie.

Also, what kind of wood blank to start off with for this? (Species/etc.)

PS. I don't have a chuck yet. Is that going to be a problem?
    Last edited by Erich Weidner; 01-31-2021 at 2:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Anyone have a link to a plans/template for a "Darning Mushroom"?
    I'm a newbie.
    Also, what kind of wood blank to start off with for this? (Species/etc.)
    PS. I don't have a chuck yet. Is that going to be a problem?
    Google gave me lots of pictures and some web sites with good ideas, including this with storage space in the handle:
    https://twigandhorn.com/products/darning-mushroom
    (If you "borrow" their design you might not want to sell them!)

You could turn the entire thing in spindle orientation between centers with tailstock support (a design without the removable top and hollow handle) then saw off and finish the ends by hand. I turn a lot of spindles that way but usually hold one end in a chuck.
    For a removable top you could use a face plate to hold and turn the bottom of the top, drill a hole, then reverse and use double-sided tape to hold it and turn the top. Or make a jam chuck to hold it when reversing.

A scroll chuck will make things easier, of course! (But I suspect you know that.)

JKJ

Erich -- I've never seen nor heard of a darning mushroom. My grandmother, the only one I've ever known to darn anything (other than those who frequently darn lots of things, verbally) used a darning egg. Which looked a lot like, well, a wooden egg. She found the egg shape handy because it was fairly easy for her to find a part of the egg that closely matched the curvature of what she was mending.

There are lots of YouTube videos on turning an egg. And, no, you don't need a chuck. They can be turned between centers. Just turn the curve on each end until there is just a small nub about 1/4" (or so) in diameter. Sand and finish the egg on the lathe, then you can cut off the nub on each end with a handsaw, knife, bandsaw, or whatever. Finally, sand and finish the ends of the egg. Sanding can easily be done by hand. Or, if you have a stationary disk or belt sander, it's even easier.

HTH

EDIT: Thanks to following the link in John's post, I've now seen some darning mushrooms! It's always good to learn something (thus proving I'm not the know-it-all my family claims I am). Still, if I were to give darning a try, I'd probably prefer my grandmother's darning egg.
    Last edited by David Walser; 02-01-2021 at 6:56 AM.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I have done several darning mushrooms and eggs. Always one piece and turned in spindle orientation. Although I have to admit that I like the idea of the two piece mushroom with a hollow stem for storage. If I get asked for another one it will be hollow. This post reminded me of this Osage orange darning egg. I took the photo only to show how little you need to hold an egg for sanding. No tailstock in use. The egg is about 2 inches at the widest point. In all likelihood I didn't mean to get it that small although I usually part off holding the finished piece, or turn it small and then cut or twist it off.

osage egg.jpg

My Mom used a light bulb to darn our socks in the 50s. So those dimensions should give you some guidance. That was way before Chinese made socks. I can't imagine anyone darning socks these days, based on the replacement cost of socks!

Hmm, could make for an interesting threading project, hollow handle threaded into the top round piece. I would want a hard end grain piece of wood for the shroom...

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I can't imagine anyone darning socks these days, based on the replacement cost of socks!
    Well, it depends on the socks. Some are still expensive (and not Chinese made). That being said, this was a request from my wife who has recently gotten into decorative darning. And shirts/jeans/pants are the targets. She has saved many with little holes which are now getting fixed/enhanced.

Thanks John,

I'm a beginner. So nothing fancy will be attempted here. Single piece is the order of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Weidner View Post
    Well, it depends on the socks. Some are still expensive (and not Chinese made). That being said, this was a request from my wife who has recently gotten into decorative darning. And shirts/jeans/pants are the targets. She has saved many with little holes which are now getting fixed/enhanced.
    I learned to darn socks when I was a kid. We didn't have much money and our mother expected us to learn and do a variety of things. Besides, she said I'd probably never find someone who would marry me so I better learn to do everything myself! (She always said that in a joking way ) Opps, my Lovely Bride and I have been married 50 years now...

JKJ

Have to ask, who does the darning in the family?

Quote Originally Posted by Don Stephan View Post
    Have to ask, who does the darning in the family?
    These days? It's me, as in, "darn, I haven't fed the horses yet". Or sometimes, "rats ..." or "oops...".