Thread: A-1 plywood “good” face question

A-1 plywood “good” face question

Hello

Recently picked up some Columbia MPX VC RC Birch A-1 and my understanding of A-1 is that the A face should be very good and the 1 (back side) should be about equivalent to a C face.

My question (I feel foolish asking) is how do you tell which side is the “good” side? When I look at them (pics included) they both look great.

Screen Shot 2021-01-31 at 9.49.54 AM.jpg
    Last edited by John Sayen; 01-31-2021 at 9:52 AM. Reason: pic

No need to feel foolish...A1 is usually pretty good on both sides. Sometimes there will be small blemishes on the inferior side, or sometimes the color match isn't good, or sometimes the grain pattern match isn't as good. With Birch it's often really hard to tell. Just use whichever side has grain that you like or that fits your project pieces.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

The side without the glue lines is the best side for most people but sometimes you might want the glue up look if there are no footballs or dings in it.

That's pretty clean.

I can scarcely find plywood, locally.

Carefully look at how the veneers are laid up. It can sometimes be hard to tell which is the best face on a really good sheet for sure!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would say the picture on the left would be the side I'd call the inside, as the match up is pretty choppy (pronounced glue lines).

I figure if I can't tell (and it looks good) I've found my plywood supplier.