Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SCM Shaper question

SCM Shaper question

Hello, long time since I posted here. I'm looking at an SCM T105 Shaper, comparing to a Felder 700 or Felder 900. I can't find a whole lot of videos on the SCM or even pictures of anything but a basic model. Anyone have any experience with that SCM Machine ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post
    Hello, long time since I posted here. I'm looking at an SCM T105 Shaper, comparing to a Felder 700 or Felder 900. I can't find a whole lot of videos on the SCM or even pictures of anything but a basic model. Anyone have any experience with that SCM Machine ?
    Are you talking about their new Nova T105 of the old design from the 1980’s and 1990’s? The new Nova T105 is a nice machine. I think that I would be inclined to go with the SCMI over the Felder. That is just my opinion. I just bought a used T130 and have been looking for another one. I haven’t come across many used Felder machines, but they are certainly good too. May I ask what you will be using it for?

I don’t recognize that name for the SCM but my first thought is that you are comparing apples to oranges. Those T-series are big, heavy, and only available with solid cast iron tables. So, they are profiling or sticking machines. The two Felders you mentioned are most commonly sold with sliding tables, to small shops for endgrain work. Both are smaller and lighter than the SCM but that’s by design. Quick-change spindles and available in single-phase, which you can’t get with that Italian machine. I guess we really need to know what you intend to do with this shaper in order to give a more informed opinion.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 01-31-2021 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Cleaned up typos
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Yes it would be a 2021 Ti105 with the upper control panel.

Thanks for the reply Eric, you are probably one of the best people to ask !

The SCM Shaper is called a Nova Ti105. It seems like a more flexible machine than the bigger T130. It has a sliding table like the Felder 700 or 900 which appeals to me. The version im comparing as the ready 3 controller, power spindle position including tilt and Power fence.

My thinking is this shaper will be a jack of all trades. The Felder 700 or 900 might be comparable ?

Hi Rick. I took a look at that machine on the SCM site. Looks nice. No idea the cost but I would say probably most apples-to-apples would be the Felder F700Z. I think either one of them would suit you fine for a one person all-around shaper. Good luck in your search.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Erik, since you know both companies well, is SCM making a conscious choice to not put much info on the website or are they just behind? It's super frustrating to be forced to work with a sales person. Most people are working 8-12 hours a day. Either as a cabinet business owner or in some other profession. People are also impatient. Leaving a voice mail for a sales person to call back when they happen to be available operates on the assumption that the customer is just sitting around waiting for a call. Years ago I ended up with Felder because of the sales person and the Felder rep (Carl) was super responsive on email and we eventually had several calls. The SCM rep (not you) only traded voice mails and after a few weeks I just gave up on SCM.

In the tech industry we learned many years ago that serving customers the way they want to be served is the way to win. Today that means giving them access to data when and where they want.

Joe, I think responsiveness is on the specific sales resource, no matter what the company. This is something I'm pretty sensitive about because of all those years I worked in sales roles before retiring from full time work three years ago. Erik (Felder) is one of the good ones. So is Sam Blasco (SCM). I honestly don't find either company's web site to be "overly helpful" in many respects! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Although the 3.5" under the nut seems small, I think the SCM machine is probably more like the 900 in build. Hard to compare as the designs are much different on the spindle and base. The 230 fence is a little small but the sliding table and accessories make the 900 a very versatile machine. Compare the weight, quill, and how the tilt and rise and fall are designed. Are they hung from the top or from the base. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Joe, I think responsiveness is on the specific sales resource, no matter what the company. This is something I'm pretty sensitive about because of all those years I worked in sales roles before retiring from full time work three years ago. Erik (Felder) is one of the good ones. So is Sam Blasco (SCM). I honestly don't find either company's web site to be "overly helpful" in many respects! LOL
    I tried to insert an applause GIF.

Well said

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Although the 3.5" under the nut seems small, I think the SCM machine is probably more like the 900 in build. Hard to compare as the designs are much different on the spindle and base. The 230 fence is a little small but the sliding table and accessories make the 900 a very versatile machine. Compare the weight, quill, and how the tilt and rise and fall are designed. Are they hung from the top or from the base. Dave
    Unless I was looking at the wrong spec sheet its 5"/127mm under the nut with no change in spindle length for the 40/50mm spindles and 240/300mm max diameter tooling. Based just on that slightly lighter build than the t110.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Erik, since you know both companies well...
    Joe, I think both companies face (and always have) the same struggle: Extremely small pool of knowledgeable sales reps and machinery that maybe 1 in 10 customers who inquire, can actually afford. I think we could all rattle off a list of companies with awkward websites. That is compounded when these sites are administrated from Europe, where the vast majority of sales are through the dealer network rather than 1:1 with a personalized sales rep, like here in the US. I can only speak for myself: When I was with SCM, if you were my customer, you had my cell phone number. Now that I am with Felder, if you are in my sales territory, you have my cell phone number. I assume that same is true for Sam. Plenty of good options from both companies. Customers should talk to both and decide for themselves.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    Unless I was looking at the wrong spec sheet its 5"/127mm under the nut with no change in spindle length for the 40/50mm spindles and 240/300mm max diameter tooling. Based just on that slightly lighter build than the t110.
    I was looking at the specs on the Elite tool website. They could be in error. Dave

I hear you. If the website was competitive with the best then sales people would probably get a lot few tire kickers

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Joe, I think both companies face (and always have) the same struggle: Extremely small pool of knowledgeable sales reps and machinery that maybe 1 in 10 customers who inquire, can actually afford. I think we could all rattle off a list of companies with awkward websites. That is compounded when these sites are administrated from Europe, where the vast majority of sales are through the dealer network rather than 1:1 with a personalized sales rep, like here in the US. I can only speak for myself: When I was with SCM, if you were my customer, you had my cell phone number. Now that I am with Felder, if you are in my sales territory, you have my cell phone number. I assume that same is true for Sam. Plenty of good options from both companies. Customers should talk to both and decide for themselves.

Erik

The woodworking machinery websites remind me of the way real estate sales companies worked a while ago. With the exception of open houses advertised in the Sunday paper, you had to contact an agent to get the price of the listing.

Times have changed. A quick way to get rid of those 9 out of ten potential customers that can't afford the product is to allow them to see list prices before they contact the sales office.