Thread: Clear Vue Pentz EF5 questions

Clear Vue Pentz EF5 questions

Hi everyone --

I'm considering the Clear Vue Pentz EF5 for dust collection, and of course have many questions. I had originally been looking at a 3HP solution from a different vendor, but since the DC will potentailly be 40+ feet from some of the equipment, I think I might need the extra umph from 5HP. I will run only one machine at a time, and will have a 20" band saw, edge sander, sliding table saw, 16" jointer, and a 16" planer. I alse have a router table, but since that isn't usually in a fixed postion in the shop, I often simply use a ShopVac when routing.

The first question - which is curiously missing from the Clear Vue web site - is how loud this DC is. I'm wondering if anyone of you who own this unit found it too loud, and if so, what you did to try and mitigate that loudness. Curious if the unit is able to be "enclosed" and then use some type of sound proofing.

I can make the height requirements for 30 gallon option in the same space as my equipment. In order to make the height requirement for the 55 gallon option, I'd probably have to install the EF5 just behind my equipment area, in part of the same physical structure, but the back of that structure is 24" deeper. If going with the 55 gallon option, I might need to use the stand to have it offset from the wall, depending on the exact placement. Using this auxiliary area would also allow me to vent directly outside, so using a filter might be moot.

Would be very interested in hearing from owners of the EF5 what they love, hate, or are indifferent about. Surprises? Disappointments? How often does the filter need to be cleaned? How do you clean it? How long does a filter last? Are the filters HEPA? If not, is that an issue?

A related question for DC in general is if anyone has recommendations for automatic blast gates. I watched this video, which seems like a pretty good setup, using iVac blast gates and auto on for the DC:

https://craftedworkshop.com/blog/ins...to-woodworking

Thanks in advance to all who respond --

Ideal situation would be to build it in a closet to reduce the shop noise from the cyclone/filters, with sufficient capacity under the cyclone and with a barrel-full alert to let you know when it is time to empty.

I'd recommend reading through posts here and on the clearvue forums--you'll find a number of posts about people building closets around their dust collectors to reduce the noise. Key things to look for are getting access to the system and designing the air return.

On barrel size, I've seen posts about the disadvantages of each:
    - 35 gallons fills very fast during milling operations. You've got some big tools listed in your posts, so if you are working at a capacity that demands those, I'd think the 35 gallon drum might be small for your use.
    - 55 gallons can be very unwieldy when full with packed sawdust. Think about how you'll manage it...

Getting the full-bin monitor seems like a very good idea, and pretty much required if you are putting the cyclone in a closet.
    Many posts from people who regretted the filter-cleaning chore after not emptying the barrel in time.

Matt

I've been seriously considering the same unit and drum size. As for the noise piece, I've never really understood the justification to build it into a noise reducing closet when the noise and distance to the noise source will be much greater when sawing/milling than the dust collector itself. I'd like to see feedback from others as to why they feel the need to enclose it due to noise vs the machines they're using during operation. Also seems like undue heat build up putting in a closet but maybe that's truly an issue since many have been doing it for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy finison View Post
    I've been seriously considering the same unit and drum size. As for the noise piece, I've never really understood the justification to build it into a noise reducing closet when the noise and distance to the noise source will be much greater when sawing/milling than the dust collector itself. I'd like to see feedback from others as to why they feel the need to enclose it due to noise vs the machines they're using during operation. Also seems like undue heat build up putting in a closet but maybe that's truly an issue since many have been doing it for many years.
    Some factors I'd think about:
    - Whether you turn your dust collector off between operations
    - How noisy your tools are (cyclones can be very noise; bandsaw not as noisy as face planing, etc.)
    - Total noise (especially if shop bouncing the sound back at you)

I think the air entering the dc system is another big source of shop noise that is not helped much by the closets.

A few folks have posted before/after comparisons with their closets so you can get an idea of what motivated them.

Matt

Jeremy -- A couple of comments on why you might want to put a DC (and/or an air compressor) in an enclosure. First, you are correct. The table saw, planer, or other woodworking machine will make more noise than the typical dust collector. However, it's not just 'loudness' that we're concerned about. We're also concerned with the frequency of the noise being generated. The dust collector typically produces sound that is in a different frequency band than produced by most milling machines. That is, the DC may be harming part of your hearing range that is in addition to the part harmed by your other woodworking machines. Also, many of us leave our DC on for extended periods of time -- far exceeding the length of time the table saw or planer is run. So, the noise from a DC may not be louder than other machines, but it is loud enough to damage hearing, is in a different register, and is produced for longer periods than other machines.

Second, sound is cumulative. Your table saw is louder than your DC, but the hearing damage done by your table saw AND your DC is greater than that done by either machine on its own. So, reducing the noise of the DC -- even if it isn't the loudest noise maker in the shop -- provides a material benefit.

Third, most of our noise protection devices only reduce noise, they don't eliminate it. For example, a pair of ear muffs might reduce noise by up to 22 db. That might reduce the the 105 db produced by the planer to 'only' 83 db (anything above 85 db is considered dangerous). But, what if another machine is running that, when combined with the planer, increases the perceived noise level to 120 db? Then, the ear muffs cannot reduce the perceived noise to a safe level. You'd need to wear both the muffs and ear plugs. Since you'll be running the DC at the same time as your loudest woodworking machines, the additional sound from the DC will make it harder for your hearing protection to do its job.

Bottom line: Putting a DC in a sound limitation closet makes a lot of sense.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

My Clear Vue is in a closet behind my building. The wall next to the building is insulated and I blow outside away from the shop. If another machine is running I can’t hear the DC. When only the DC is on a hear a soft moan. Outside it is not very loud except directly in front of the discharge pipe. I think you will be a lot happier with the machine enclosed.
    Charlie Jones

Ned,

The CVMAX and CV1800 cyclones run about 78dB at 6' away to 82dB right next to it, and measurements will vary depending on how you go about it and what meter you use. I would expect the EF5 to be comparable. While the noise from the cyclone is less than most of our power tools, my goal in placing our CVMAX in a soundproofing closet is to allow normal conversation to continue in the shop even when the cyclone is on. I'd like to get the sound level in the shop below 70dB.

There are several YouTube videos comparing sound levels, here's one from Ed Morgano, original owner of Clear Vue, demonstrating sound levels of various machines in his personal shop to the sound level of the CV1800 (in sound insulating closet with door open and with door closed).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXgaGkMNpAc

In my last shop, I could hear the cyclone sitting in an open corner of the shop over the sound of my radial arm saw. But, the noise level of the cyclone by itself was not something to have a conversation over top of.

Regards,
    Rush

Rush,

Thanks very much for your feedback (and thanks to everyone else, as well).

Best,

Ned

Ned,
    I have just finished installing an EF5 in my shop. Using an app on my iPhone I read 82-84 decibels at 6-10 feet. Hearing protection is a must. Enclosing it would help in getting the noise down. Hearing protection is a must for me.

Thanks for the input and extra thoughts/justifications for enclosures. Are there any concerns for heat build up of these motors in the enclosures (i.e. premature motor wear) ? Either way, our ears are indeed more important but just curious. Doesn't seem like anyone has had motor issues related to over heating that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy finison View Post
    Are there any concerns for heat build up of these motors in the enclosures (i.e. premature motor wear) ?
    The motor does generate some heat and you need to allow for air flow around it. But if your filters are in the same closet, you have to vent the closet to prevent backpressure on the system, so that takes care of the heat from the motor. If you don't have the filters in the same closet, then you do have to create some ventilation to remove the heat the motor will generate. Not a huge issue, but needs to be considered, for sure.

Has anyone added a sound filter to a Clear Vue ? I know other brands offer this (my Grizzly in my previous shop had one, Oneida offers one, etc...) They supposedly lower sound by ~5-8db. I've inquired this offering through Clear Vue to see what they say.