Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your favorite place to buy band saw blades?

Your favorite place to buy band saw blades?

I'm about to acquire a new band saw, it takes a blade length (4258 mm, 167=1/2") that seems to be not so commonly found off-the-shelf. Do you have a favorite place that offers reasonable prices and consistently good welds?

Probably looking for Lenox Diemaster and perhaps a Trimaster carbide blade, because I've had good luck with them. I'm open to other possibilities.

I don't buy very many but have had good luck and good service from Timberwolf bandsaw blades.

Bandsawbladesdirect.com Never got a bad blade from them.

My favorite place to buy bandsaw blades is from the place that sharpens my tablesaw blades. They will make one up while I wait this give me the opportunity to mention how important a good weld is to me.
    Theres never any hard feelings when I inspect the weld before I buy it.
    Bandsaw blades direct is one of the line suppliers I get good blades with good welds.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Woodcraftbands, now owned by Union Grove Saw. John recently retired and sold his business to Union Grove Saw, also a family owned business here in NC.

Bandsaw coil stock on "the bay" ,then silver solder my own blades.

Timberwolf here.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I got 3 Diemaster 2 blades from Blade Serpent several months ago. The welds were nearly perfect. Took me a while to find them. Delivery was very prompt. My only complaint was that one blade had some rust patches but that turned out to be a non issue.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I like Industrial Blade and Products, Santa Ana, CA for Lenox. Excellent prices, service and a nice weld.

Dennis

I have had great results as well as great service from spectrum supply. The shipping cost at order entry is usually higher than the actual charge. The 3/4” kerfmaster blade is really a nice blade for the money - especially if you buy several to spread the shipping cost. Do a simple comparison of the cost between say a wood slicer and the spectrum Kerfmaster and you will see what I mean. As for the customer service side- I made a mistake when ordering a few of these blade and asked them to add a fractional 3/8” when I meant 1/8”. I could not get the blades with the extra 3/8” to tension and to my surprise they took them back in exchange for the right size!! Of course I paid return shipping and new shipping charge for sending the right ones out I was pleasantly surprised they took them back in exchange!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    I got 3 Diemaster 2 blades from Blade Serpent several months ago. The welds were nearly perfect. Took me a while to find them. Delivery was very prompt. My only complaint was that one blade had some rust patches but that turned out to be a non issue.
    How are these performing for you compared to typical silicon steel, etc., particularly for sharpness? I'm seriously considering trying the Dimaster when I order bands next.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, I run Diemaster II blades on my saw. Cut out Toys for Tot's Car bodies from 2 x 4's for local woodworking group. Cut between a thousand and fifteen hundred each year. Everything is a curved cut. Cuts are approximately nine inches long. After only thirteen years, blade broke (not at weld.) Means I got over ten thousand linear feet of cut from one blade. Not bad, IMHO. Bought another Diemaster from Woodcraft Bands to replace it

I think I bought my Lenox blades from Bandsawbladesdirect as well. Before that I was buying from Highland but I upgrades from a 14" cast iron saw to a 19" and wanted a 1" blade for resawing (yet wasn't ready to commit to a carbide toothed blade yet since the saw was new). While ordering that blade I thought I would buy a blade for cutting bowl blanks. So I added a Diemaster 2 (1/2"x .035" 3 tpi) to the cart. That blade has been my "go to" blade for years now. Well over 1000 bf and I haven't done a thing to it. That includes bowl blanks. I try to wash off the dirt but it's hard to get it all out of the bark. Every time I use it I remind myself I should order a spare and also a 3/8" 6 tpi for cutting thinner material. I think the kerf is a little wide so if your saw is kind of low HP wise it could cause issues in thicker materials. The wide keft means it's not the smoothest of cuts so I wouldn't do stuff that I wanted as little waste as possible/ least amount of sanding.

"Only" thirteen years? Sheesh... LOL

I may pick up a couple for sure. I don't do a lot of band saw work but still hate bands that start to dull noticeably with my light use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    How are these performing for you compared to typical silicon steel, etc., particularly for sharpness? I'm seriously considering trying the Dimaster when I order bands next.
    I can tell very little difference between the Diemaster and the Timber Wolf I was using before. The small amount of resawing I've done with them has given me similar results. But the blades I bought were not the best tooth configuration for resawing. Disclaimer: I am not a highly experienced user at the bandsaw so I'm not sure my opinion is all that valuable.

I switched when a TW broke after very little usage. Was not dissatisfied with how the TW cut and the break may have been a one off failure, but I decided to use the opportunity to try a supposedly better blade. Hopefully I get good life from the Diemasters.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher