Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A ruler that you can see....AND be seen

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I move around the shop a lot. The other day I was skip planing some lumber, then took it over to the bandsaw to resaw. Back to the planer for thickness. Later setting depth of a router bit, and later checking the width of the tenon I was cutting on the tablesaw.

I'm not disciplined enough to put it back everytime.

But I like the idea of a colorful stripe.

You might consider having a dedicated rule or caliper at some of those stations. I have a small 6"/150mm rule at my J/P for quick checks when switching over from face jointing to thicknessing, for example. I'm considering putting a dedicated caliper there, too, for convenience. In many cases, these tools can be "stuck" to the machine in a convenient place using magnets or a simple pouch/mount.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've taken to using calipers, beam gauges and story sticks instead of rulers. The rulers I *must * use get pencil marks for reference.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I just try my best to bury myself in measuring devices. About one device for every three square feet of shop space pretty much guarantees that I can always find at least one of what I need. I also make sure to have several in my car and on my nightstand, just in case.
    I almost blew coffee on my keyboard laughing out loud....... I do the same thing. Rulers, tape measures and flashlights everywhere. And more recently - cheap Costco reading glasses, everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You might consider having a dedicated rule or caliper at some of those stations. I have a small 6"/150mm rule at my J/P for quick checks when switching over from face jointing to thicknessing, for example. I'm considering putting a dedicated caliper there, too, for convenience. In many cases, these tools can be "stuck" to the machine in a convenient place using magnets or a simple pouch/mount.
    Dedicated rulers at every device is a good idea.

The 'pouch' idea got me thinking.....maybe a pocket protector stuck to the side of the planer, bandsaw, jointer, router table, etc. Do they still make pocket protectors?

I really don't think a more obvious looking tool helps in the finding of it. Look around your shop, there are all colors of the neon rainbow in there already. Having it in a set place is the only thing that seems to work for me. That falls apart if you are working around others though and they know were to find your stashed tools to replace the ones they lost. I think I might try a taser for that problem.

Kinda what Jim said, but mask off the lines and spray paint the middle with neon paint (green, pink, something that will show up and look out of place amongst wood). I had to do this to my aluminum straight edge at work, I work with stainless and with a bunch of things on my workbench the bright color helps it stand out (In my case it was neon orange).

I often use a 6" or 12" ruler. I like the hook rules the best.
    They are flat, but shiny, so I can usually see where I left them. That is until a fine coating of dust settles. Then they are almost un-seeable to my aging eyes.
    I've purchased brightly colored ear protection, tape measures, marking knives, etc. I was looking at brightly colored rulers, but I read that they are made of aluminum, and their thickness makes it hard to transfer the marks to the wood.
    Any thoughts? Any recommendations?
    I put rulers on magnets so I always know where they are. I have one small aluminum ruler with a 1/4" hole near one end for hanging on a nail - I pressed a thin 1/4" super magnet into the hole and it now lives on my bandsaw.
    I always have two of each so if I lay one down and can't find it I can reach for another, in which case I almost always immediately find where I put the first one.

I prefer the Starrett rules with the soft, smooth finish and perfectly etched lines and numbers. I don't like rulers with shiny polished surfaces since the light sometimes reflects into my eyes. I find them harder to read.

JKJ

Dedicated rulers at every device is a good idea.

The 'pouch' idea got me thinking.....maybe a pocket protector stuck to the side of the planer, bandsaw, jointer, router table, etc. Do they still make pocket protectors?
    Actually, the "pocket protector" metaphor isn't bad at all, because it can be affixed with magnets and hold non-magnetic measuring devices as well as, say...a pencil. At some tools, it's just handy to have that "at the tool". That's certainly the case at my J/P as I mentioned previously. And my layout tools remain available where they are used the most.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Actually, the "pocket protector" metaphor isn't bad at all, because it can be affixed with magnets and hold non-magnetic measuring devices as well as, say...a pencil. At some tools, it's just handy to have that "at the tool". That's certainly the case at my J/P as I mentioned previously. And my layout tools remain available where they are used the most.
    The pocket protector is a great idea!

Although for pencils, sharpies and such I'm pretty happy with a bit of soft iron wire wrapped around near the top - quick to grab and quick to return.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    I have both Lowes and Home Depot 15 minutes from my house. When looking for a new toy I go there and look.
    Most of the time, I find what I'm looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    The pocket protector is a great idea!

Although for pencils, sharpies and such I'm pretty happy with a bit of soft iron wire wrapped around near the top - quick to grab and quick to return.

JKJ
    It would be easy to make a wooden version from scrap to hold to a tool via rare earth magnets. It would be stronger and better sized for this use than a typical pocket protector thingies.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This will sound a little preachy but I solved my problem of misplaced tools years ago. 90+ percent of the time I put a tool back where it goes when I am not currently using it.
    Bingo!

That's the solution I use as well.

Regards, Rod.

That's one of the major reasons for wearing an apron with pockets for rules, pencils, and tapes. It's my bad when I just put them down on the bench and not in the pocket. The second major reason is to keep my tshirt clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen Benkin View Post
    ...The second major reason is to keep my tshirt clean.
    What is this clean shirt concept?

Mine yesterday was infused with fine sawdust and bits of anchorseal wax, a little finish watco oil finish, embedded with small pieces of hay from throwing hay to the horses, grease from fighting with rebuilding a friend's grinder, a significant amt of fblood from doctoring an injured peacock with a torn claw, some unidentified stain probably from the back end of a hen that put up a fight to remove bandages from her foot, and a questionable stain following wrangling llamas and alpacas to manually extract fecal samples to mail off for testing. The shirt I started with today is in better condition at the moment but it's still early.

I might have to look into this apron idea. Or maybe get out a full Tyvec suit from the drawer.

I'm a fan of the Starrett 414 English pattern ruler. They are overpriced for what you get and not what you think of when you hear "Starrett Quality", but for me they have the virtue that I can see the d@mn thing. The numbers are big and the finest graduation is 1/16". I typically use the 1/8" graduation and just infer in the 1/32" or whatever I need. For me, that is easier than trying to figure out which blur is the right one on a more finely graduated ruler. I have a regular 6" Starrett (love that satin chrome) sitting on the table saw fence and various other kinds of 6" and 12" in the layout-tools-I-use-the-most drawer.

Tape measures: I find I need a minimum of four in a 24' x 28' shop.

IMG_8230.jpg