Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A ruler that you can see....AND be seen

A ruler that you can see....AND be seen

I often use a 6" or 12" ruler. I like the hook rules the best.

They are flat, but shiny, so I can usually see where I left them. That is until a fine coating of dust settles. Then they are almost un-seeable to my aging eyes.

I've purchased brightly colored ear protection, tape measures, marking knives, etc. I was looking at brightly colored rulers, but I read that they are made of aluminum, and their thickness makes it hard to transfer the marks to the wood.

Any thoughts? Any recommendations?

Hanging on a nail next to the entry door to the shop I have roughly a dozen steel rulers, 12", 14", and 24", I also have 6 6 inchers that reside either in the apron or supposedly on a small table by the door. If I can't find the one I'm using I grab another.

If I need to get down to 32nds or smaller I'm finding it hard to see the markings on the rulers. I was just thinking a couple days ago I need even more lights just for this purpose. And I just redid all the lighting last year.

Woodpeckers sells a bunch of red rulers that might be easier to find, I'm thinking of one of their squares.
    Last edited by Bob Johnson2; 01-29-2021 at 3:16 PM.

I keep a 4" & 6" Starrett Scale in a drawer by my bench. Those are my go tos most of the time. That is also the drawerwhere my combo square and the rules for it live. I keep a 24" steel rule and a 36" & 48" Aluminum rules hanging by my bench. The aluminum rules are much harder to accurately transfer measurements to the wood. I often use a small square with the aluminum rules to help transfer accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I keep a 4" & 6" Starrett Scale in a drawer by my bench. Those are my go tos most of the time. That is also the drawerwhere my combo square and the rules for it live. I keep a 24" steel rule and a 36" & 48" Aluminum rules hanging by my bench. The aluminum rules are much harder to accurately transfer measurements to the wood. I often use a small square with the aluminum rules to help transfer accurately.
    That's a great idea.

Blog Entries
    This will sound a little preachy but I solved my problem of misplaced tools years ago. 90+ percent of the time I put a tool back where it goes when I am not currently using it.

Obviously we have tools that were using actively and they tend to sit on the bench but, I don’t leave them sitting on the bench when I’ve moved on to another task. This prevents them from becoming buried. My 6 inch ruler and my 12 inch ruler are most often in the same place when I’m looking for them; they’re right where they belong. I learned long ago that taking a moment to put a tool back when I’m done with it takes much less time than looking for it when I don’t know where it is. See? I told you it would sound preachy :-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

All of my rules hang on the wall when they are not actively in use. A simple and fast way to accomplish what you want, however, is a strip of bright colored tape down the middle of the top...something narrow like striping tape.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built an outfeed table with a laminate top. At the end of the bench farthest from the table saw resides my two most often rulers each hanging from a nail. Also there hangs the french curves and draftsman triangles I use the most.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-29-2021 at 9:26 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I use black rules with white markings. Really easy to see. Got them on Ebay from Taylor Tools. -Howard

I just try my best to bury myself in measuring devices. About one device for every three square feet of shop space pretty much guarantees that I can always find at least one of what I need. I also make sure to have several in my car and on my nightstand, just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This will sound a little preachy but I solved my problem of misplaced tools years ago. 90+ percent of the time I put a tool back where it goes when I am not currently using it.

Obviously we have tools that were using actively and they tend to sit on the bench but, I don’t leave them sitting on the bench when I’ve moved on to another task. This prevents them from becoming buried. My 6 inch ruler and my 12 inch ruler are most often in the same place when I’m looking for them; they’re right where they belong. I learned long ago that taking a moment to put a tool back when I’m done with it takes much less time than looking for it when I don’t know where it is. See? I told you it would sound preachy :-)
    That works for me also. Otherwise I would spend all my time looking for tools.
    Charlie Jones

One word of advice - if you're going to have numerous rulers, tape measures or other measuring devices around, it's a good idea to confirm that they agree with each other.

Usually if they're the same brand they'll be consistent.

I am partial to Shinwa rulers, the 6" 4R machinist rule being my favorite, but as you point out, it loves to hide, so I keep a twin hanging on the wall as a back-up until the missing one turns up at which point the twin goes back on the wall. There might be something to be said for the red Woodpeckers products. I am a big fan of the Delve square and it almost never goes missing.

Blog Entries
    The first thing I would suggest is to improve the dust collection system. Having enough sawdust settle to hide your ruler isn't good for your lungs.

My 6" & 12" rulers rest on the top of my table saw fence when not being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    All of my rules hang on the wall when they are not actively in use. A simple and fast way to accomplish what you want, however, is a strip of bright colored tape down the middle of the top...something narrow like striping tape.

I move around the shop a lot. The other day I was skip planing some lumber, then took it over to the bandsaw to resaw. Back to the planer for thickness. Later setting depth of a router bit, and later checking the width of the tenon I was cutting on the tablesaw.

I'm not disciplined enough to put it back everytime.

But I like the idea of a colorful stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Pollack View Post
    I use black rules with white markings. Really easy to see. Got them on Ebay from Taylor Tools. -Howard
    I like those. Thanks Howard.

Have you looked into the incra T rules? I have the 3 inch and the 6 inch, and find them quite useful. I also keep them hanging on a magnetic strip next to a .5 mm mechanical pencil, I'm partial to the Rotring 600 and pentel graphgear 1000.