Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic assembly bench

Thanks Keith. I just sent Derek a request for info.

Dan, Felder FAT 300 is around $1500 plus shipping. Although that is a lot of money the versatility of this hydraulic table has been great for me and has saved my back and knees by allowing me to adjust the work height to my body not the other way around. I use mine to move sheet goods, as an infeed/outfeed table, work bench etc.
    524BFDB8-A62C-494D-BE93-0A30DE0B4F28.jpg0643D8D3-1E65-46B2-BD23-9D92CA7E51B9.jpgD42B32D0-6120-436F-8C95-55CAE21A805A.jpg4119DF89-B1CE-4B60-A6EB-FC30B2999C02.jpg

Dan,

You will love the air operation style table. It is very quick and no need for a messy hydraulic pump. I didn't install any of the motorcycle gear that mounts on the end of my table and I will rarely use the ramps unless I am working on my garden tractor or my lawn mower.

If you need a smaller table the Felder seems to be the best quality table on the market these days.

I own four of the Harbor Freight hydraulic tables, I use one for my small wood lathe. The other three are used when I am working large sign projects to move plaques from machine to machine and to the door to load them in my truck. Occasionally I have used them to unload machines from my truck or trailer. Everyone should own at least one adjustable height table.

Thank you Keith. The W-1500 may be just what I am looking for if I can get a mobile base under it. I would like to be able to build large base cabinets on it in my assembly area and then be able to roll it over right next to slider for door and drawer front sizing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    Look at motorcycle lifts. You can get pneumatic or electric for the lift mechanism.
    Says the Ducati owner

Keith, did you consider the Handy 1200 lift before choosing the weaver?

Dan,

I did look at almost every motorcycle lift model they sell when I was shopping. When I called them I limited my selection to what they had in stock because I had two 4 foot by 8 foot signs to make that I knew were coming and I had to have a larger table surface.

I also need the ability to move my table frequently. After getting the table set up and looking at the design I have decided that I can use the square tubing on the front end to attach my castors. A small length of square tubing with a piece of angle iron welded to it to mount the castors that will slide inside the existing legs. This will be easy to remove when I need additional stability for heavy equipment. The back end already has heavy steel wheels installed.

Purchased a used lift yesterday. American Lifts Model S36-060. Has 6,000 pound lifting capacity and 32 x 72 top. Lowered height of 8.5", raised height of 45". Spent some time on the phone with a castor supplier finding the proper wheels to move the lift around the shop. Should be in the shop sometime next week. My knees will be grateful.

I used to support my 4" 4' x 8' assembly table on boxes sized 20" x 28" x 42". By rotating the supports I had a work surface 24" or 32" high, or I could use bunks on the floor for a very low tabletop. Not as versatile as a hydraulic lift but almost free and the supports never leaked down.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Chouinard View Post
    Purchased a used lift yesterday. American Lifts Model S36-060. Has 6,000 pound lifting capacity and 32 x 72 top. Lowered height of 8.5", raised height of 45". Spent some time on the phone with a castor supplier finding the proper wheels to move the lift around the shop. Should be in the shop sometime next week. My knees will be grateful.
    That's going to be a great addition to your shop! I'm such a fan of adjustable height work surfaces...

Make sure whatever casters you use are double locking. Larger wheels roll smoother. But you already knew that stuff....
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dan -- Do you purchase the one that 360Degree Machinery was selling? If so, that looks like a super sweet lift table.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Jim, My current torsion box assembly table has wheels. They have a wheel brake that does not work well and no swivel lock. The lack of swivel lock has always been a pain.
    Look forward to having proper new wheels. I was told yesterday by someone in the castor business that a good 4" wheel will roll my rig nicely on smooth concrete floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Dan -- Do you purchase the one that 360Degree Machinery was selling? If so, that looks like a super sweet lift table.
    Yes I bought from 360. Should have it here next week.

Jim, My current torsion box assembly table has wheels. They have a wheel brake that does not work well and no swivel lock. The lack of swivel lock has always been a pain.
    Look forward to having proper new wheels. I was told yesterday by someone in the castor business that a good 4" wheel will roll my rig nicely on smooth concrete floor.
    Colson's with their Total Locks are awesome casters. Easy to lock and unlock. Way easier to unlock than the little top tabs some of them give you. I get all mine from CasterDepot, but it also helps that if I wanted to I could drive there in less than 30 mins.
    If over thinking was an Olympic event, I'd win Gold every time!

Yes, you'll be a lot happier with double locking. 4" sounds good. I forget if I got 4" or 5" for my CNC machine (they are only on it if I have to move it) from castercity.com, but the larger wheels are absolutely a good fit for something big and heavy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...