Thread: Oh No Mr Bill!!! Another Box

Blog Entries

Oh No Mr Bill!!! Another Box

It seems every other project is a box of some sort. This latest box is to hold coffee filters in the cupboard. We tend to lay them on their side so a filter can be easily slipped out. The cardboard boxes tend to take on a lean after a while. We buy filters in packs of 400 from Costco when we can.

The milling, cutting and planing of the stock wasn’t photographed until the final sizing:

a Square Shooter.jpg

Starting with square and equally sized parts makes things a lot easier in the long run:

b Size Check Aisle Three.jpg

Running a finger over the pieces held side by side can reveal if one is a hair bigger than the other.

One mistake might have been not laying out the pieces on the single board before cutting. Things work better on boxes when all the pieces come from a single board. It also helps alignment to cut any slots before cutting the one board into separate pieces. My plan was to do stopped slots instead of using plugs. This was started with a #45:

c Starting Stopped Slot w:#45.jpg

Another advantage of the one piece method is the pieces can be cut so the grain is continuous around the finished piece.

The #45 worked for getting the slot started. It was a bit difficult working smaller stock. A Mini-Router plane was used to cut the slots with the aid of a knife edged marking gauge:

d Using Mini-Router to Cut Stopped Slot.jpg

The notch in the blade for the adjustment nut is a little bigger than the flange on the nut. When loosening the blade lock to adjust the blade it can slip down. Also the lock bolt tends to loosen if one isn’t careful. My solution was to use an end clipped off of an old ball point pen spring and set that between the post and the lock ring:

e Added Spring.jpg

It seems to have helped.

Before this project was started some practice dovetails were cut and helped me to decide two tails and three pins would be fine for this box.

For many years my dividers were seldom used. After having bought a few it seemed maybe they should be put to use. Since using them and getting used to them it seems they are indispensable.

Finding center is easy. One method is to set one pin on a spot that looks like center, check against both side, if there is a discrepancy move the center pin half the difference, then adjust the other pin to the edge.

Sometimes with tails first mine are marked in pencil:

f Tail Board Layout.jpg

A small square can be set against the divider pin for marking.

One advantage of cutting tails first is being able to gang cut the boards:

g Sawing Tails.jpg

Next a fret saw is used to remove the waste:

h Fret Saw on Waste.jpg

Derek Cohen shows cutting a guide notch at the base line with a chisel. That is a helpful step whether cutting out the waste with a chisel, fret saw or coping saw.

Ganging up the tail boards also helps to make the tail faces more square than some of my work.

The eight image limit has been reached…

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    When Pairing the waste it helps to have a piece of scrap under the work to protect the bench top:

I Safety Board w:Dog.jpg

This is a piece of scrap (firewood) with 3/4” holes drilled through so a dog can hold it in place on the bench. The dog also gives something to press the work against so it doesn’t slip around.

Before the tail board is considered finished every tail is checked at least twice to make sure it is square:

J Square Check on Tail.jpg

Once the tail boards have the waste removed and the mating faces of the tails are true and square no more adjustments are made to them.

There are many ways to help align the tail board to the pin board to mark the pins. Clamping a straight edge to the base line is my favorite:

k Straight Edge (140) Trick.jpg

This makes aligning the two pieces easy:

m Marking Pin Board.jpg

The pin boards are a lot wider than the tail boards so the vibration when sawing was not helping. This is my ‘simplified Moxon’ vise:

n Vibration Dampener.jpg

This helps to keep the board from flailing about when sawing.

After all the joinery was fit, a piece for the bottom was cut from some scrap, planed to thickness and trimmed to fit. A partial circle was marked on one side at the top and cut out. Then the box was dry assembled. My pins and tails are always cut proud. They were trimmed with a block plane and a chisel:

o Sharp Helps.jpg

The box held together well. This box won't be knocked around, with the shop cold it will likely be used as is without glue for a while:

p Coffee Filter Holding Box.jpg

Heck, my last unglued piece is a drawer that has been doing fine for seven years now.

My measurements for this were approximately the same as the cardboard filter box in the cupboard. The wooden box was made a little larger. My mistake was the Costco filters come in a pack of 400 with two separate packs inside. This box only holds about 170. Oh well, since it isn’t glued, if the desire comes a couple of new sides can be cut to accommodate a full pack of 200 filters.

jtk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Another fun and instructive thread Jim. Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great solution, looks nice.

Blog Entries
    JTK, Thanks for posting, interesting subject. I always enjoy your threads. How come I can’t see your pictures. I’m looking on my phone – just wondering if it’s just me?

Cheers, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    JTK, Thanks for posting, interesting subject. I always enjoy your threads. How come I can’t see your pictures. I’m looking on my phone – just wondering if it’s just me?

Cheers, Mike
    You are listed as a "Member" on this post. (I'm pretty sure you have been a "Contributor" in the past.) Did you miss a renewal date? That, or something is different when you log in on your phone.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the kind words Mike.

David gave a good answer as to why the images are not displaying.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    You are listed as a "Member" on this post. (I'm pretty sure you have been a "Contributor" in the past.) Did you miss a renewal date? That, or something is different when you log in on your phone.
    Thanks Doug and JTK for the heads up! I couldn't be more embarrassed! Just one more reason I should be more diligent about reading those pesky e-mails!!!! On my way to re-enlist.

Cheers, Mike

I think there should be a 3 Or 5 year renewal option. Fred you mean to tell me you don’t cart clamps back forth from the shop in the cold months to do your glue ups in the house? I’m pretty sure my wife loves it when I repurpose the dining room or the kitchen table for a glue up station. I can’t say how many times assemblies have been tucked away in the master bedroom. Our attached garage is insulated but not heated. In 40 degree weather I can use space heaters to bump it up to 60, but when the temps are below 20 I don’t even try. Nice job on the latest box.

What a great idea for another useful box!

Jim - Please clarify that I have no responsibility with regards to anything with this -

Love- BILL

BTW- nice solution & project, but please stop blaspheming "Bills" in general.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Jim - Please clarify that I have no responsibility with regards to anything with this -

Love- BILL

BTW- nice solution & project, but please stop blaspheming "Bills" in general.
    Oh Noooooo, you bear no responsibility for this.

There is only one Mr. Bill. Well there have been many, he tends to get squashed a lot, but they are all the same character:

Mr. Bill.png

My guess is he is kind of like the slide rule. People under the age of 40 (maybe 50) may have never heard of him.

There is quite a bit of him on Youtube > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxMq...UwCZ_sq6xcN0Xe

This one will help you understand about the OH NO associated with Mr. Bill.

jtk

Exactly like the slide rule! It seemed like I spent an entire decade hearing "OH No, Mr Bill" everytime I showed up on a jobsite or for a meeting.