Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ripping aluminum on the table saw

I made a few cuts on a chunk of aluminum plate for a router plate. I vacuumed the table saw out well then mounted a $2 7 1/4" Irwin circle saw blade. I figured if it totaled the blade I wasn't out much. It didn't, the blade seems fine. No dust collection and it worked fine. Vacuumed the saw out with a shop vac after any hot chips had cooled. Of course it was less than 48" total cut distance.

A glass company I worked for had an Elu flip saw. All it was used for was cutting aluminum. The company eventually threw it away when one of the guys cut his finger badly (from being an idiot forcing the flipping action, not the blade). We cut everything from aluminum stock for glass walls to aluminum doors that had to have the bottom trimmed because they were rubbing on a sidewalk that heaved from frost.

I've cut lots of thick aluminum. My used saw came with a bunch of Corian blades, which are also correct for aluminum. It throws hot chips all over me, and when I cut, I back the work up several times to let the metal cool. It's a real adventure. I always wonder what would happen if a 5-pound piece of aluminum kicked back.
    Cry "Havoc," and let slip the dogs of bench.

I was socially distant before it was cool.

A little authority corrupts a lot.