Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you use to clean table saw blades?

What do you use to clean table saw blades?

Long ago I had some white powder I mixed with water to clean my blades. I got it from the place that sharpened my blades. I've long since lost or used up and I haven't been using my table saw much in the last 10 years.

So I was wondering what you guys use? I was hoping for something less toxic than oven cleaner so lets scrach that one from the list right away.

By the way this is my second post since I became a member. I don't think anyone saw my first.

Thanks,
    Charlie

Welcome to the Creek, lots of good info here from a bunch of great folks.

For you answer, I have been using Simple Green and a little elbow grease with a brush... Nice and easy an non toxic.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I've had good luck with just about everything I've tried so now I tend to use what's on the shelf...most recently 409 and a toothbrush or brass brush.

I've also used Simple Green, Goo Gone, Dawn/water, Boeshield Bladenbit Cleaner, mineral spirits, and Easy Off. Easy Off is the most difficult to use and I've read that it's too abrasive. CharlesM from Freud recommends a kerosene soak.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hey Charlie, welcome to the creek. Nice looking shop you have.

To answer your question it realy depense what you are trying to clean off of the blades. If It's Sap I generaly just wipe em with mineral spirits

charlie welcome. i use lacquer thinner just `cause it`s here

I use ammonia. Sure, quick, safe, cheap, and easy.
    Chris

I have found that oven cleaner works great. Just be sure to use it in a well-ventilated area.

409 for a few minutes and the stuff practically falls off. I bought a round tupperware type container that is big enough for a 10" blade. It has a container of 409 in it which stays there permanently. When the blade is grimed up I just stick it in there for a few minutes to soak. Remove it and hit the extra tuff stuff with a small brass brush. This always does the trick. Then thoroughly dry the blade.
    Jim

Clean them ?

You mean they're not disposable?
    Torre

A lack of thoughtfulness is different than a lack of intelligence, but often has the same net result

Quote Originally Posted by PeterTorresani
    You mean they're not disposable?
    sure they are, send them to me and i`ll recycle them for you

I use the CMT orange juice. I have tried other products that were more toxic, but this seems to work good. I work mostly with red oak and white pine (because it is what I have on my property and I cut my own) and so I get a fair amount of build up.

CPeter

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Young
    409 for a few minutes and the stuff practically falls off. I bought a round tupperware type container that is big enough for a 10" blade. It has a container of 409 in it which stays there permanently. When the blade is grimed up I just stick it in there for a few minutes to soak. Remove it and hit the extra tuff stuff with a small brass brush. This always does the trick. Then thoroughly dry the blade.
    Hi Jim - I'm glad to hear that someone else has had similar results with the 409. I've only used it once so far and the blade wasn't all that dirty, but it did seem come off really easily. I'll just have to get out there and dirty that blade up so I can try it again!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Borax

I have a bucket of borax solution - enough so that it is saturated, with some extra crystals in the bottom. 10 - 20 minutes and hit them with a toothbrush.
    JR

Hi Charlie, I've used oven cleaner and Simple Green. I won't use oven cleaner anymore as I've heard that's bad for the carbide, but Simple Green works great. Spray it on, let it soak a few, and scrub with a toothbrush. No complaints.

BTW, are you the Charlie Mastro who was featured in "The Workshop Book" by Scott Landis?

The best recipe I've found is Simple Green and beer. Just drop the blade in the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and then cover with Simple Green.

Here comes the tricky part. You now must open and drain a beer while watching the Simple Green work. The fumes from the beer activate secret cleaning enzymes in the Simple Green. This is a little known secret so please don't spread it around. You can experiment with different brands of beer to find just the right mix for your personal situation.

After the beer is consumed and any excess gas released by any means possible, pull the blade out of the bucket and scrub with an old tooth brush. Repeat as necessary even if all the gunk comes off the first time.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb