Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Double cathedral mahogany doors built by students, and they fit like a glove!!!

Blog Entries

Double cathedral mahogany doors built by students, and they fit like a glove!!!

Well, for those that saw my lament on a recent "Creeker's weekly accomplishments" posts about whether or not my custom doors would fit the opening they were made for- I'm happy to report that not only did they fit, but they needed no trimming- fit like a glove first try with perfect gaps all around.

This is for a historic property called "Smith's Fancy" which happens to be on my street- Crystal Gade. The name of the street is because it was the first street with glass windows. My house was one of three first homes to have glass windows in St. Thomas. I was really excited when the Smiths asked me to build mahogany doors for this historic property. Note: I have two shops- one is my own, and the other is a non-profit where I teach woodworking. This project was done by the students at the non-profit, which is called "My Brother's Workshop." We keep kids off the street and teach them woodworking, and I could not be happier doing this.

This was a big challenge, because the doors we were replacing were very warped, and also I was not allowed to take them to the shop to make templates because they were functioning as a security gate. We went out and measured the opening very carefully, including measuring the arch. We went back to the shop and laid it all out on a building table. These doors are nine feet tall, six feet wide combined, so we had to put two tables together and add an extension.

I did a few drawings- one was a wrought iron Bird of Paradise flower, which I loved, but obviously it was a bit too much for students.. We started narrowing down to a mahogany door with bars. The bars were so people coming out can see before opening the doors that all is clear.

We try to teach students to build things the way they will build in the field. These kids likely won't get jobs building custom doors, but rather will more likely get jobs in general construction, but it is very possible they will build simple shutters, which are common here. I decided not to use the shaper, but to have them figure out how to build them with the table saw and router. The tongue and groove vertical panels are a common way doors here were built in the 1800's. I decided rather than a tongue and groove, a splined joint would be less complicated. The groove was cut with a router or dado blade, depending on whether it was a stopped dado (router) or through dado (table saw).

The arch was a bit tricky- I had our CNC shop make a plywood arch to use as a template, and we used a router to cut the arch. The parts were rough cut on a bandsaw, then routed to final shape, and then the doors were built with the stiles protruding, and we laid the arch over that and cut the stiles to match the arched rails.

Believe it or not, the wrought iron came from Home Depot!!! I was really pleased with the way they looked. We decided to stagger them because lining up all the spirals wouldn't look right. I really wanted to offset them more, but the length versus the opening dictated where they fell. I recessed them 3" into the rails and epoxied them in as well. They ain't goin' nowhere!!!

Today we installed them. I didn't sleep much because I was really worried about that arch. It is very hard to get arched doors to fit when you build the jambs, but fitting them in an existing brick opening when you weren't really sure if you got the arch right or not- well- that was scary. I'm happy to report that they fit perfectly. I brought the track saw, but never had to use it. Top to bottom, side to side, they were a perfect fit. Good job, men!!!

Photo dump:

image_9.jpg Ugh, I downloaded to the computer to try to get these to be upright. Still sideways. This was the drawing I did with my students at concept stage.
    image - Copy.jpg Look close, and you can see the full-size drawing we did on the layout table. The wrought iron is in place over the drawing.
    image_1 - Copy.jpg Everything is cut oversized. This is a must with mahogany. It was left to acclimate, then cut again to final dimensions.
    image_3.jpg Coming together now. The wrought iron was inserted (after this photo) into the rails and that was made like one unit, then we did the most harrowing glue-up ever, getting everything to come together properly. We had to elevate everything because the spirals in the wrought iron stick out past the doors.
    image_4 - Copy.jpg This is the template we used for the arch. I had the CNC shop cut it full size and used it first to make the smaller rails, then once the doors were assembled, I used it to route the stiles down to the same arch. It also was used on site before we committed to that arch to be sure it actually was the right arch!!!

I think five photos is the limit. Will add comment with others...

Blog Entries
    image_5 - Copy.jpg I think this was just a test clamp before gluing up, because the glue-up had way more clamps and I sure as heck wasn't taking pics. I warned my students that if you're working in a door shop, glue-up day is very stressful, and you need to be alert, and respect that the glue is drying, and the builder is working against time! They were very respectful and I think I only cussed maybe once during the whole glue-up. (We have a strict no cussing policy, so it's kind of a really big deal if I cuss, and I told them in advance that it might accidentally happen.) \
    image_6 - Copy.jpg I love finishing day. To avoid OSHA issues, we don't spray finishes. We brush and wipe. This was brushed with Varathane poly, then sanded, then brushed, sanded, brushed... then the final coat was sanded and wiped on thinned out.
    image_5.jpg One of our board members was there for the install, and he kept saying we were going to have to cut the doors. Nope- I said- they're going to fit.

We had one issue with the top left hinge. The pintle was rotten. You're going to see that it was not yet installed, as we have to put in a new pintle, but went ahead with the install as this is the passive door, and the active door was fine. We will come back and epoxy and mortar in a new pintle and finish that one hinge. They fit perfect!!!! NO CUTTING!!!!!
    image_8.jpg

Malcolm, good job all the way around - students, doors, helping them develop skills, etc. Well done, sir.
    Best, Patrick

Beautiful work.

Great job by the students and you
    Ron

On the Continental Divide somewhere in Montana
    A great story and I'm betting that those kids learned some things that will stick with them the rest of their lives. Beautiful doors and installation!
    Thanks for sharing it with us.

Blog Entries
    Wow Malcolm, those doors are beautiful. And they sure look good in that opening.

My, but those are spiffy.

Kudos

Dramatic, eye-catching...you nailed it Malcolm!

Nice nice job. Good mission too.

Fantastic work Malcolm! Congratulations to you and your students. And good on you for your non-profit work.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Great mission, Malcolm. Well done. They should all be very proud of their work.

Just curious Malcolm. What finish did you use for those doors? They're going to catch all kinds of weather down there.

Thanks!
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Just curious Malcolm. What finish did you use for those doors? They're going to catch all kinds of weather down there.

Thanks!
    Varathane polyurethane semi-gloss. They will have to be sanded and varnished each year, but will last forever if they are.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the comments. They were very proud of their work.