Thread: Laterally Opening Cabinet Door. Ideas?

Laterally Opening Cabinet Door. Ideas?

I'm building some kitchen cabinets and the customer really would like one cabinet with a laterally opening door - kind of like a barn door. Unfortunately, it can't be as simple as a slide open door.

The cabinet door is 48" high and 13" wide. Construction is 2 x 1/4" MDF panels (upper & lower) set into rabbits in the back of a hardwood frame 1" thick. The frame front must be inset 1/2" from legs on either side of the door that are 2" x 2". Rather than swing open like an ordinary door, it needs to come out toward the user (like a drawer), at least 1 1/2", to clear the inset and then move to the side, at least 13", so you can get into the cabinet. Hope that makes sense.

I've found only one maker of laterally opening door hinges, LIN-X by Sugatsune, where the door swings out and over in a single motion. They are so expensive it's a non-starter.

The best I've come up with is using a combination of short hardwood slide (to move the door in/out) and roller bearing slides (to move it side-to-side). I can embed magnets so it gently "snaps" into place and gives the user some haptic feedback.

Has anyone tackled this sort of problem? Any creative ideas or other manufacturers to look for would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries
    What’s your budget?

it’s kind of a cool concept. I found this on rockler.
    https://www.rockler.com/lateral-open...SABEgIfpfD_BwE

When a customer wants a feature cabinet, it's usually understood this is a feature that has to be paid for. Give them the option to decide; cheap or fancy, choose one. It could be that you make this cabinet deeper so the door has free movement. It doesn't have to match the other cabinets.

That's the Suatsune LIN-X. It looks really cool, but the $160 needs to be upgraded with a longer support rod for a 48" door. So, it would cost about $300, all in, for that one hinge. That ain't gonna happen. I'm also not sure it can deal with an inset door. Thanks for the reply, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    When a customer wants a feature cabinet, it's usually understood this is a feature that has to be paid for. Give them the option to decide; cheap or fancy, choose one. It could be that you make this cabinet deeper so the door has free movement. It doesn't have to match the other cabinets.
    Understood. There are a lot of people here that are more experienced and clever that I am though. Figured I'd ask.

Can you help me understand what you mean by making the cabinet deeper so the door has free movement?

Hafele offers a lateral door hinge set. I've seen it used on an entertainment cabinet. But if you're trying to do things on a tight budget, Hafele is likely not a good option.

There's also pocket door systems. The door opens 90 degrees, and then slides back into the cabinet to get out of your way.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-28-2021 at 2:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hill View Post

I've found only one maker of laterally opening door hinges, LIN-X by Sugatsune, where the door swings out and over in a single motion. They are so expensive it's a non-starter..

Honestly...this is your customer's problem, not yours. If they want that specific functionality, they are going to have to be willing to pay for what it takes to do it. The kind of opening you describe is pretty complex and since there's not huge demand for it, the cost is naturally going to be high. "Fudging something" will likely cause you intense customer service grief over time, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

300 dollars for the hardware really doesn’t sound bad to me. Like Jim said if they want it they should pay up.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I'm curious a to why someone would want this. What's the percieved added functionality?

You'd be surprised what customers will prioritize as important enough to spend the $ on. It usually isn't what the builder would consider a good use of capital. If they want it though, give them the option, at full price, with your margin x2 because it will take you longer than you think. If they don't bite, no worries, if they do, you made a profit.

Mark , you want something that is non standard and has very low production volume. You’re not going to find that at a bargain price.

Hettich and Salice make similar mechanisms, but don’t bother looking at them if you balked at the Sugatsune pricing. They’re made in Germany and Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    I'm curious a to why someone would want this. What's the percieved added functionality?
    It's a space and clearance issue. Having a door that slides rather than swings is a much better fit. But, the cabinetry style they prefer doesn't easily allow for a slide open door.

Thanks for the advice. I gave them the option and it's cost. We'll see what happens.