Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust Collection. Single stage vs cyclone

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Steve, don't mix up "optimal" with "usable". Even if you have to compromise the duct path a little to fit the machine in your shop, a decent cyclone will still benefit you. With a little creativity in location you may still be able to straighten that last few feet up a little, too. I'm only able to partially picture in my mine how your joists and beams run, but when the time comes, I'm happy to help you with things.

Alternatively...you can buy our house and my shop when the time comes. We're looking for what comes next "as we speak". LOL
    Ha ha! Do all the tools that are currently in your shop come with it, you know, thrown in for free? Ha ha! Actually, the plan is for us to eventually move to an old farm house on my in-laws' property (on Burnt House Hill road, btw). There's a house, a large barn, and a nice garage, all of which were completely remodeled recently. However, we would want to keep our cars in that garage, so plans were already drawn up to build a shop next to the garage. That shop would have a floor plan of ~17x33, which in all reality isn't much larger than the shop side of my basement. However, it would not only be at ground level but also have a higher ceiling, no HVAC equipment in the middle of it, and have a small offset section that would perfectly fit a nice dust collector. It also wouldn't need to store all the extra "stuff" that's otherwise taking up space in my current basement. Of course we don't know when we're going to move there, but since it won't be anytime soon (maybe 10 years or so), no work has started on the shop itself. In the meantime, I'm jammed into my basement.

My current shop is ~16x22, with the joists running parallel to the 16' wall. The bottom of the joists are ~93" from the floor, so I do have some room above that to squeeze in the motor of a larger cyclone. However, about half of that ceiling space has HVAC ducts (returns, mostly), and of course there's a good bit of wiring and lighting in the open areas (all lights are standard LED bulbs, not tubes). My DC is currently located in the middle of a 22' wall; it's mounted to the wall with 5" piping coming out of the SDD perpendicular to that wall, with one route going up and one going down. The up route goes along an amazingly open joist and then down the other side to a hose. The down route goes into my table saw that sits directly next to the DC (that is, the right side of the saw is basically up against the DC "area").

For future DC placement I have two ideas in mind. The first is to put it where the DC is right now. I would almost certainly have to shorten the lumber rack that hangs next to the DC, but that's not a big deal. In this scenario I'm thinking I would have the inlet run parallel to the wall with the piping bending upwards and then rotating parallel to the joists; I could then run lines from there (including a drop back down for the saw and hopefully an overarm pickup). The other option I'm thinking of is putting the DC at the far end, past the lumber rack. That's effectively "outside" the shop proper, and would replace a shelving unit that currently sits in that location. However, there's more vertical space there thanks to less wiring in the way, and there's more room for the filter stack. However, it's further away from all tools, would get in the way slightly, and would require the piping and filters to block some access to part of the lumber rack (perhaps not that big of a deal). In that scenario I might have to consider a more powerful DC, but that adds to the noise, and that location is under the foyer / dining room.

But... since we're not moving anytime soon, do I really need to "overbuy" now (or within the next year or so) or could I get away with a good system that would almost certainly work well for the space it's in? Then when we move I could always upgrade to something that would definitely work well in that larger space (and have a much easier time running ductwork!).
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I just drove down Burnt House Hill Road today, Steve. I've always appreciated many of the properties along there, although that "yuge" mansion that was recently built is a bit gaudy and out of place, IMHO. But WHY would you want to park cars in a shop, err....garage? That's just not acceptable. LOL

Good decision to buy your "last" DC now. It will not hurt it "loafing" in a smaller shop and you'll know it will be adequate if you get to expand or spread out in the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just drove down Burnt House Hill Road today, Steve. I've always appreciated many of the properties along there, although that "yuge" mansion that was recently built is a bit gaudy and out of place, IMHO. But WHY would you want to park cars in a shop, err....garage? That's just not acceptable. LOL

Good decision to buy your "last" DC now. It will not hurt it "loafing" in a smaller shop and you'll know it will be adequate if you get to expand or spread out in the future.
    You might be talking about that place on Almshouse...

Anyway, for right now I'm not buying anything (or at least not a DC, lol). I've got to see how my recent "updates" perform over this year before thinking about an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    You might be talking about that place on Almshouse...
    Nope...I think the one on Almshouse is Pink's parent's place, but I could be wrong about that. The one i mentioned is a new on on Burnt House, on the right side going north-west where the road dips down and back up sharply with the narrow bridge.
    --

Nope...I think the one on Almshouse is Pink's parent's place, but I could be wrong about that. The one i mentioned is a new on on Burnt House, on the right side going north-west where the road dips down and back up sharply with the narrow bridge.
    Oh, is that who owns that place?! That place is definitely gaudy. lol

And, well, that newer place on Burnt House you're mentioning is my in-laws' place. LOL I don't find it gaudy, but it definitely stands out compared to the other properties around it. The farm house is immediately before it on the right, at the peak of the hill before the narrow bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Solomon View Post
    Your shop looks great! Couple questions:
    • How did you draw this up? Is this Sketchup?
    • I like your overarm dust collector. Who makes it?
    • I don't see any cords for machines in the middle of your shop. Do you have a receptacle in the floor for your table saw, or is the cord coiled up for the picture?
    • Looks like you have 2 transfer grilles between the dust collection shed and your shop. And then another baffle on the outside of the dust collection shed. So when the dust collector is running, its drawing conditioned air from inside your shop and pushing it out through both the baffle in the exterior wall of the shed and through your 2 transfer grilles, correct?

• Yes. I have my full shop drawn in Sketchup. I started it 4+ years ago to build it and have just kept adding to it for machine layout, dust collection and so on. The file is now over 200MB so 4 times the max size you can upload to the 3D warehouse. I'm updating a few things on the drawing at the moment, but I keep a downloadable copy for people that are interested and or want to use some of the parts for their own shop layout. http://www.teetomterrific.com/downlo...hop_Master.skp It takes a few minutes to open because it's so huge.
    • The cord on the Unisaw is coiled up. To plug it in it is about 7 feet along the floor. I keep it coiled when I'm not using the saw. My 220 plugs are L6 locking. All my electrical outlets are along the walls. Wiring is run in 1" conduit up t the attic and along the trusses outside the attic storage area so I can change easily get to it if I need to change it.
    • There is no outside baffle in the DC shed. Just a small sealed window. I do get some leakage through the roll-up door but not a lot. Mostly I think I need to put in third return filter grill, (with Merv 12 filter), below the two existing ones to reduce the pressure in the shed to eliminate what leakage I do have. When I run it for a long time my heater kicks in more often. I will probably add that third filter grill this summer and add some baffling in the shed to further reduce the noise. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0061MKY5M https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CV3TDSH

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post

And, well, that newer place on Burnt House you're mentioning is my in-laws' place. LOL I don't find it gaudy, but it definitely stands out compared to the other properties around it. The farm house is immediately before it on the right, at the peak of the hill before the narrow bridge.

I guess I owe you a beverage or three to make up for that. LOL
    --

It's okay to find your in-laws' house and things gaudy. Their primary role in life was to properly raise your future bride. (I've done that well with my two daughters. Anyone willing to take them off my hands?) If they've given you a good wife, cut them a whole lot of slack all the other areas of their life. They've earned it!
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona