Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I sold a piece on Etsy

Blog Entries
    T
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Congratulations on finding a paying outlet for your desire to build. If you are real ambitious you might ask if they would like a reproduction of the Jefferson book stand. It is based on one Jefferson saw in Paris. It can hold a book on each of four sides and one on top. It is very handy when doing research.

Roy Underhill had an episode > https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...ons-bookstand/ < on building one.

jtk
    Thanks Jim great suggestion. What an innovative idea - a book stand where you can have five books open simultaneously and be able to easily look through all of them – precursor to Windows operating system?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Congratulations mike that’s excellent.
    I used to sell on Etsy I like it because I didn’t have to meet the customer.
    When I sell local people always want to meet me. I don’t like meeting with customers my wife say I could get more work if i did.
    Good Luck
    I feel you Andrew - somehow wives always have a suggestion for how you can do it better! I’m always amazed about how Sherrie feels no compunction at all about offering suggestions on my woodworking projects – the girl wouldn’t know which end of a hammer to hang onto, but that doesn’t stop her in the least. Maybe that’s what I love about her.

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Nicely done. You got paid, too?

Kudos
    Thanks a lot Jim, I always enjoy reading your posts. I guess I got paid. I got an email that said I did, but frankly I have no idea where that money is. I think it’s inside Etsy somewhere. For an oldster like me that’s not a digital native the “frictionless“ nature of online commerce is total mystery. Luckily I’m sure I can rely on Sherrie to track it down.

Cheers, Mike

If anybody deserves this to happen to them it is You Mike. I have admired your work ethic and all of your posts here. This post has brought some cheer to alot of us her, I think.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    If anybody deserves this to happen to them it is You Mike. I have admired your work ethic and all of your posts here. This post has brought some cheer to alot of us her, I think.
    Thanks Mike – that might be the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me! You made my day.

Cheers, Mike

Mike, congratulations and what an honor to have a piece going to a museum!

Well done Sir! Very well done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Very well done! I hope the funds pay for a new toy or two and some IPA!

Best,
    Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Why do I feel like the grinch? Please check with your insurance company. Most will require commercial plans for your tools ($$$$) if they get a hint that you've sold a piece.

Congratulations! Its great to have a marketing team like that.

Good story! Enjoy your next trip to that museum when you can go with your family, it's going to be a whole different feeling.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    Why do I feel like the grinch? Please check with your insurance company. Most will require commercial plans for your tools ($$$$) if they get a hint that you've sold a piece.
    No need to feel like a Grinch Curt – I appreciate the heads up. Never thought about insurance, always just assumed my tools were covered under homeowners policy. Sounds like something I need to check out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Allen1010 View Post
    No need to feel like a Grinch Curt – I appreciate the heads up. Never thought about insurance, always just assumed my tools were covered under homeowners policy. Sounds like something I need to check out.
    You should check with your agent to make sure your tools are properly taken care of in your policy. Many policies only allow a small amount for clothing, furniture, appliances and other items that may be lost in a fire or burglary.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

a spreadsheet will need to be made if turning a claim in to insurance company, they want to know tool brand name, model number when bought, cost then and now, condition, etc.
    Even with a policy that stated replacement cost, had to provide that, did not provide receipts, stated I did not have any. Pictures help a lot. Agent would not get involved to fight with adjuster and it was dragging out. Then when it held up closing on new house and that agent got involved, it went smoother. Got roughly 4k tools shipped to me by insurance company, then all the rest were prorated in a check to me. I then had a year to replace each tool and get reimbursed for each tool after I sent receipts in. Had to call and argue over every set of receipts sent in. Finally got thru it and would think of more tools that were missing years later and it was too late to file on those. Haven't kept the list up need to find it and add lots more to it along with lots of pictures. This was over a burglary of 13k+ of hand tools, welder was only stationary tool stolen. All personal tools, professional working for pay tools were not covered under homeowners policy.
    Ron

Congratulations Mike! Etsy is a neat site actually, there are a lot of handmade objects of all sorts available there. I'm wearing a leather belt I purchased there; also got a set of spoon-carving knives+gouge which turned out to be lovely to use.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven Mikes View Post
    Congratulations Mike! Etsy is a neat site actually, there are a lot of handmade objects of all sorts available there. I'm wearing a leather belt I purchased there; also got a set of spoon-carving knives+gouge which turned out to be lovely to use.
    Thanks Stephen I appreciate you educating me about Etsy. I confess I am not a frequent Internet shopper (not much of a shopper anywhere really – I guess except for tools), and I don’t know much about Etsy. I love the idea of a cumulative of “makers“ creating products and selling them to a broader audience beyond their local geography!

I find the economics of the business model fascinating; classic “disintermediation“ - eliminating middleman/distribution channel and connecting makers directly to end users. I really hope it works to provide economic support to craft people Who otherwise would have difficulty achieving broad market exposure. I sincerely admire anyone making a living as a maker. From my perspective, seems extremely difficult, even though it appears to be increasing interest among consumers in handmade goods.

I’m looking to support the “maker economy“, by putting the proceeds from my sale into buying stuff from individual craft people. Any suggestions for boutique bourbon makers?

Cheers, Mike