Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I sold a piece on Etsy

Blog Entries

I sold a piece on Etsy

I have the supply and demand problem. I've been building furniture for 40 years; full complement of beds, dressers, desks, coffee tables, chest etc. for both our boys in their 20s and the Boss says we don't have any room/need for more furniture. Ergo a lack of demand for what I want to supply -furniture/would work. As a consequence most my projects over the last several years have been replacement for furniture we already have or small boxes etc. that I can occasionally sneak into the house or give as gifts.

I was whining to our Boys about my problem -" I've got nothing to build – what am I going to do to keep me off the streets and out of the bars?". Several months ago they created a listing for me on Etsy, which I understand is an online marketplace for makers. I don't know a thing about it but they had me provide pictures/descriptions/dimensions etc. for a couple things I built and posted them for sale on Etsy. Frankly I forgot all about it and don't think I could even find my Etsy "store" online.

One of the pieces they posted is this reproduction of a Walnut "Secretary", from Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. A piece used to organize pens, papers, writing materials etc. Today I got email notification the piece was sold to "Artistry In Motion" in Pennsylvania. One of the proprietors Jeremiah gave me a call and it turns out they work with filmmakers and museums to provide historically accurate furnishings, weapons etc. My piece was approved by the curator and is going to a museum in Alabama that is creating a Thomas Jefferson exhibit. What the heck – you could knock me over with a feather!

I don't think this is really a viable solution to my supply and demand problem, but certainly a unique experience for me I thought worthy of sharing with my fellow Neander's.

Cheers, Mike

39.jpgIMG_0329.jpg39.jpg[

Congratulations Mike! Well done. My sister in law set up an Etsy store for me but then tried to turn it over to me. It didn’t go well. I’m like you, not sure I could even find it.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Congrats! Most impressive first sale.

amazing. well deserved for that piece.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on finding a paying outlet for your desire to build. If you are real ambitious you might ask if they would like a reproduction of the Jefferson book stand. It is based on one Jefferson saw in Paris. It can hold a book on each of four sides and one on top. It is very handy when doing research.

Roy Underhill had an episode > https://www.pbs.org/video/woodwright...ons-bookstand/ < on building one.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Good for you Mike. It's well deserved, and you got a couple of great kids there. Next thing you know you'll be selling franchises.

Way to go.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I love seeing your work and I'm glad to hear this good news! You should ask the guy who bought it what other stuff he suggests that might sell - to him or others. That might be good to know.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Congratulations mike that’s excellent.
    I used to sell on Etsy I like it because I didn’t have to meet the customer.
    When I sell local people always want to meet me. I don’t like meeting with customers my wife say I could get more work if i did.
    Good Luck
    Aj

Congrats, Mike! That is a gallery quality piece and it will be a great addition to the museum exhibit.

That is outstanding. I sometimes shudder to think that some day some of the pieces I’ve made are going to be placed on the curb or tossed on the burn pile. It is pretty cool to have a piece placed in a museum. I hope you signed it.

Congratulations!

way to go! congratulations and thanks for sharing your first sale. Have been thinking about etsy myself, just to see if something I made would sell.

Congrats Mike! Wonderful, well deserved recognition of your work.

Nicely done. You got paid, too?

Kudos

Congratulations! What a wonderful way to have your skill recognized!