Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Festool RO 125 or 150?

Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander. Their finish sanders, like the ETS125, ETS150. and DTS400 have given me the best finishes I've ever had. (It's also possible that, with age and experience, I know more about finishes now than in the past.) With good dust collection (which is also provided by a Festool CT vac in my case), my sanding has become essentially dust free; a huge plus. I'm sure there are other great sanders available, but, for me, I now only used Festool sanders because of the dust collection and results I get. I feel that a woodworker would never regret buying one of the ETS sanders; maybe a Rotex also (if you have need of aggressive removal and minor flattening of a glue up or slab.)

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander
    So in a world of perpetual innovation and ever more rapid technological advancement youve locked yourself into stagnation and choose to move over the surface of the planet like a reigned horse with blinders on and only be fed the information placed in your field of view by a single source holding the reigns and feeding your field of view? Sounds a lot like the current climate in the US but a recipe for disaster. Events like AWFS and the like are there to expose users to things completely outside their radar with regards to production and efficiency. Making a statement like that speaks to a mindset of utter failure regardless of the brand.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 02-20-2021 at 2:22 PM.

it's still a perfectly valid decision for an individual, Mark...it's nice to have choices and one of them is not to make other choices. I might put it slightly different than Randy, but my own feeling would be similar...it's "unlikely" I would buy a sander from a different vendor because I'm so pleased with the products I currently have and how they have held up since...about 2004. So while I'll not say never because, well...stuff happens...I'm happy where I am just like Randy is.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ya know AWFS and IWF aren’t for the general public, right ?

They’re not geared for hobbyists to compare tablesaws, sanders, and become enlightened to innovations and techniques. Though that certainly happens at both.

perhaps you’d find more enlightened folks and be more happy over at woodweb ?

That's technically true, Dave...those big shows are primarily focused on the business/industry user. But tickets are readily available for anyone who wants to attend and speaking from direct experience, they can be a real treat for the mind, albeit at the expense of sore feet and potentially a lighter wallet at some point. The manufacturers of stuff commonly used by the more hobby/small shop are very well represented and some of the most interesting things come from the materials and hardware suppliers. Unfortunately, I doubt that the virtual versions necessary at the moment have quite the same benefit relative to browsing. I'd attend AWFS and/or IWF in a heartbeat again given the opportunity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Heinemann View Post
    Since I bought my first Festool sander, I decided that I would not ever buy another brand sander. Their finish sanders, like the ETS125, ETS150. and DTS400 have given me the best finishes I've ever had. (It's also possible that, with age and experience, I know more about finishes now than in the past.) With good dust collection (which is also provided by a Festool CT vac in my case), my sanding has become essentially dust free; a huge plus. I'm sure there are other great sanders available, but, for me, I now only used Festool sanders because of the dust collection and results I get. I feel that a woodworker would never regret buying one of the ETS sanders; maybe a Rotex also (if you have need of aggressive removal and minor flattening of a glue up or slab.)
    Pretty much the same experience for me, Randy.

First Festool I bought was the Rotex 125 along with the CT26 DC. But the Rotex was a bit much for light sanding jobs so I bought the ETS 125. Then came a big sanding job and I broke down and bought the ETS 150/3. But I wanted something more aggressive and soon the ETS150/5 was in the shop. The collection was filled out with the Rotex 90.

Since then the 150 models are by far used more than the rest. Next is the Rotex 90. I would never part with those three. The Rotex 125 rarely gets used and the ETS 125 even less than that. But I also have a Makita 4" belt sander that comes out for the heavy sanding jobs. No way the Rotex 125 can compete with that. I can sand with one hand easily and create a very flat surface. The Makita is also in the "can't live without" group.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    So in a world of perpetual innovation and ever more rapid technological advancement youve locked yourself into stagnation and choose to move over the surface of the planet like a reigned horse with blinders on and only be fed the information placed in your field of view by a single source holding the reigns and feeding your field of view? Sounds a lot like the current climate in the US but a recipe for disaster. Events like AWFS and the like are there to expose users to things completely outside their radar with regards to production and efficiency. Making a statement like that speaks to a mindset of utter failure regardless of the brand.
    Mostly, for me, it just speaks that I don't need anymore or any other types of sanders and the Festool sanders will likely last me the rest of my life. Thanks for the philosophy lesson though. Oh, by the way, I normally just buy tools that work the best for me. In this case, it just means that Festool sanders have the best dust collection, the least vibration (on finish sanders which is what I mostly use), and I get the best results of any sander I've ever bought.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I bought the 6" pad for my 125 a few weeks ago and it was one of the best things I've bought regarding woodworking. Moving from a 5" to a 6" sander actually made a huge difference as I'm able to sand much larger panels with ease. Being able to have the same sander and just switch out the pads has been a great space saver too. Highly recommend it to other folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Ya know AWFS and IWF aren’t for the general public, right ?

They’re not geared for hobbyists to compare tablesaws, sanders, and become enlightened to innovations and techniques. Though that certainly happens at both.

perhaps you’d find more enlightened folks and be more happy over at woodweb ?
    Ever contemplated the concept that entities like Nascar, the NHRA, IHRA, INDY, NASA, and a litany of other "non-hobbyist" entities drive a massive innovation arm of industry that plays directly to the hobbyists advantage? Dave.. I feel for you.. man,.. honestly I do. Hard hard row to hoe. Find a way to love yourself. I wouldnt have velcro or a zipper, or CA glue, zip ties, or anything cool in my shop with your mentality. I'd be pounding things out with semi sharp rocks and clubs.

Dude.. Get over yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Scofield View Post
    It was mentioned earlier in the thread but I bought the 6" pad for my 125 a few weeks ago and it was one of the best things I've bought regarding woodworking. Moving from a 5" to a 6" sander actually made a huge difference as I'm able to sand much larger panels with ease. Being able to have the same sander and just switch out the pads has been a great space saver too. Highly recommend it to other folks.
    May work out for you but something to consider is the counterbalance in the sander itself is typically matched to the pad size so simply swapping between pads without changing the counterbalance can have negative effects.

Earthshaking technological advancements in finish sanders? Unless someone developed an affordable robotic finish sander which didn't require me holding it, the Festool sanders will serve my purpose literally for the rest of my life. If I was again 20 years old, they I'd say I could, in fact, wear mine out and require purchase of a new one. Then, for sure, I'd look at what's available. At the point I am in my life and the use I put my tools to, the Festool sanders are the best I've used and don't require upgrade. AWFS exhibits a wonderful world of tools and innovation (when it actually occurs in person again). However, to some degree, AWFS and tool-makers create the need to upgrade tools to survive financially and secure customers who, like you, buy tools for the sake of innovation rather than function. There's a place in the world for all of use. Failure only occurs when the user doesn't use the tool correctly or buys a tool which isn't suited to his/her needs.

Ever contemplated the concept that entities like Nascar, the NHRA, IHRA, INDY, NASA, and a litany of other "non-hobbyist" entities drive a massive innovation arm of industry that plays directly to the hobbyists advantage? Dave.. I feel for you.. man,.. honestly I do. Hard hard row to hoe. Find a way to love yourself. I wouldnt have velcro or a zipper, or CA glue, zip ties, or anything cool in my shop with your mentality. I'd be pounding things out with semi sharp rocks and clubs.

Dude.. Get over yourself.
    You should heed your own advice.