Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Turners Workshop Questions

I don't know that there would be any benefit to going with 3 phase, but some electrical guys need to chime in here. On the lathe, it has been a huge benefit with true variable speed.

robo hippy

2. The NC Furniture School has two Harvey dust processors. That is where I first found out about them. Stuart Kent there is a master WW and a Robust dealer who I trust. Him being a proponent of the G700 got me interested. Folks think it is a cyclone on its side, but it actually is the opposite. Cyclones filter out by gravity and slowing air in a vortex. The G700 on the other hand is a centrifuge, speeding air to 4000 rpm. It is hard to compare directly.
    I was lucky and bought mine used from a sorghum flour miller whose business quickly outgrew its capacity.
    He had a 20ft hose 6 in on it. I was first disappointed when he turned it on by remote, it was still noisy. But we standing at the at the inlet to the hose. As we walked toward the machine, it got much quieter. The noise was the low pitched swoosh of the moving air, the machine itself just hums.
    On the short 8-10 ft runs in my little shop I will rarely run it at high while turning. ItÂ’s sound is more comparable to my JDS filter at various speeds than my old DC.
    I am putting a bench over mine too. The footprint is about the same as my old jet 650 turned sideways with a 30 gal drum collector next too it.
    If you look into one, Harvey sells them direct at half Woodcraft or Rockler 🤷🏻
    Look at the video first on Fine Woodworking, then Bent’ Woodworking, and then Next Level Carpentry.
    Last edited by David Propst; 01-31-2021 at 3:37 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Tom, Do you have 3 phase coming in your house? If not (normally the case), seems like the expense of running it from the street (if it is there) would outweigh any benefit 3 phase would buy, especially for a small hp motor.